I am very grateful to all those members that have actively contributed towards the educational applications.
Current applications that are very usefull in educational environments are:
- Nextcloud with Collabora or Onlyoffice
- SOGo and Webtop
I see great opportunities for Dedalo in BYOD environments
I also have a wishlist for new modules to be developed:
- Xerte online Toolbox (already started by @mrmarkuz)
iTALCVeyon (I just found out iTalc is no more and veyon has taken over. For mixed environments
- Epoptes for linux only environments
- a School management application. Now this will be a real challenge since a few very promising projects have stopped being developped like Schooltool. I would love to have Gibbon as a school management tool, but it only is available with it’s own userdatabase. There is no LDAP/AD support. And IMO that makes it big no-go. Maybe a workaround: Gibbon is able to import users through CSV. If a dayly cronjob of exporting from LDAP/AD can be created and imported into Gibbon, we could all be set.
- koha Library software
- Calibre e-book library
- BigBlueButton Conferencing tool. It can be added in Moodle.
- Mahara ePortfolio for students
- Guacamole remote access
- Xibo signage: broadcast information like (changes in) schedules, video’s etc to multiple screens (like TV’s)
I would like to ping the @education_team and @dev_team to have a look at this list and suggest enhancements and pick your parts to work on. Traditionally it starts with a feature request that can be discussed.
Discussion topics: are there alternatives that suite us better? Do we really need the functionality ?
Then a install howto in the forums can be added and as soon the howto is complete and 100% reproducable, the Howto can get a spot in our wiki.
Lastly, the work toward creating an RPM module can start and when finished, the module can get a spot in NethForge repo.
Thanks in advance for helping!