Weekly welcome to new members - 25 Jul 16

Good morning NethServer people!
that’s a two weeks topic ( I was on vacation last days, did you miss me?) and we have so many members (53) to welcome this time! :family::couple::two_men_holding_hands::two_women_holding_hands:

I guess that these new friends are here thanks to our new [NethServer 7 Beta] (NethServer 7 Beta1 "Mayo" released) :clap:, please mark my words, 7 version is going to be an incredible step for NethServer project! :volcano:

Well, do you know what’s happening here? Every Monday we welcome our new blood asking them to feel immediately comfortable and prepared to post about what they are looking for or what they need help with.

YOU’RE ONE OF US NOW!

Please comment below and tell us:

• What you’re working on?
  • Who are you?
  • What brings you to NethServer?
  • Do you have already installed it?

Looking to you:

2 Likes

Welcome all to this home. do not hesitate to ask and help them clarify their doubts

Regards from Venezuela

1 Like

The family is always growing!!!

1 Like

Good Morning,

My name is Nuno Romão, I’m currently 26 yrs old, and I live in Portugal (as was written by alefattorini)
I’m a system administrator and PHP programmer (for my small projects), and I work on a training company as head of the IT department, and am currently responsible for 300 computers (more or less)

Our company used a very old version of CheckPoint as a Firewall, on top of a Windows Server 2008; when the server malfunctioned, I decided to change this mission critical server to Linux, and after many experiments and tests, NethServer was the easiest to use and manage.
We noticed an increase in performance when we changed to NethServer, and it is still working without any problems.

I also used NethServer on my old employer as an internal email server for our printers, but that was a very small project when compared to the Firewall that we use on my current job.

In August we are planning big changes in order to increase security, performance and standardization, and I want to create a VLAN for each classroom; however, my tests creating VLANs on NethServer didn’t go as expected, so I thought it was time to turn to the community and ask for help.

Best regards,
Nuno Romão

2 Likes

Hey.

Needed a replacement for my E-Smith server as it ran out of magic pixies when they escaped into that blue star dust with a vapid and horrible smell here in the shack…

That was over a year ago when I installed the neth.

Been super impressed. Love reading new stuff.

So many things to do… Time rewind… some-time?

Tips all.
Mr_B

//

Glad you’re here Nuno and thanks for jumping in and saying hi. I look forward to hearing more about your progress. If there is anything specific that you’d like to brainstorm, feel free to kick off a new topic at any time!

Are you planning new installations?

Welcome to the community here, it’s great to hear from you :slight_smile:
Can you add more details about you? IT professional, sysadmin or hobbiest? Where are you from?

Hello all, I must say that this forum is quite a bit different from most of the other linux forums I’ve been part of. Those who respond are very friendly , not condescending, and respond pretty quickly. I’m currently working on a server for the church I attend, it’s been a goal for awhile to upgrade the current infrastructure. We currently have a cable modem feeding a linksys e1000, I have 4 of them spread out thru the church all of them running ddwrt. The first off the cable modem is the dhcp server the others just pass dhcp to the main, all the wireless use the same ssid with each router using a different channel with this setup I can roam from one end of building to the other and not drop connection. One of them is setup as a WAP for the printer because the room the printer is in has no lan jacks. My primary goal for the upgrade is to move the network processing to something more robust, I’ve got a dell 2950 I’ve been trying different solutions with. I’ve tried centos, ClearOS, running proxmox to have pfsense on a vm to segment network tasks, couldn’t get traffic to pass between vm’s so I gave that up. This has been an on and off venture for about a year and last week I decided to revive the project and started searching for solutions again, not sure how I missed nethserver before but I found it this time around and boy was I happy.
The main things I want to accomplish are:
Have separate vlans for public and office use,
Throttle public bandwidth,
Owncloud capability to gain cloud storage space, currently using Dropbox and we are maxed out.

Things that would be nice would be to move our website local, and a mail server.

About me, I’ve always love toying with computers ever since I was young they’ve just always fascinated me. In 2000 after coming back to the states after being stationed in Germany I finally took the plunge and built my own computer, I broke windows 98 more times than I can remember learning new stuff. One night I was going thru the barracks for something and the individual on guard duty was in the day room and had his pc there playing with something I hadn’t seen before, I asked him what is was and where he got it. It was linux and he told me I could get it for free just download it from the Internet, that was it I was intrigued. When I got home I did some searching and found there was all kinds of linux you could get, I had to try as many as I could!!! I probably downloaded a dozen or so and quickly found out some were way better than others and most required a certain level of knowledge about the hardware which took me a little bit to figure out. Over the years I’ve strayed away for a time but always coming back to one of the best OS’s on the planet.

I’m really looking forward to 7 being RTM, I’m using it in beta now to see if I can fit it into what I’m trying to do. Sorry for the book, glad to be a part of this community.

3 Likes

I’ve posted a couple of times but missed the introductions so here I am - thanks for the reminder @alefattorini.

From Portugal, just started learning sysadmin a few months ago driven by the motivation of taking control over my data and learning the tools to be independent of big corporate structures in an ever more technological (controlled) society. As a business owner I’m also motivated to create a work structure that will enable teams and individuals to work and contribute from anywhere in the planet.

Currently using NS 6.8 deployed on a VPS mostly for SOGo and private chat server but I plan to make it the main gateway to the company with the new NS7 (looking forward to the new security enhancements applied to green networks).

Besides of NS, i use a range of other self-hosted services, some for professional use (such as owncloud or plex media center) some for professional use (Alfresco, which i found out through NS team, mautic for marketing campaigns, suiteCRM, etc) and some general servers such as an email server and pbx to organize the many SIP extensions and DID numbers I’ve been collecting through the years.

Really appreciate the sense of community in this project and the availability of the core team to troubleshoot and assist less knowledgeable individuals such as myself. I’m very much looking forward to the future of NS and hope to contribute in any way I can.

3 Likes

Welcome to all the brothers and sisters in this initiation ceremony of our tribe NethServer.

This is a space to engage with collective intelligence, as is natural in the communities where the knowledge is free and liberator, our higher value-added.

Especially Spanish speakers, to invite them to meet us in our native language in the space of Chat and so strengthen our ties to provide knowledge more fluid to this global community.

As well as for Spanish there are spaces for German, Portuguese, … and if your space Chat does not exist you can request to create it. :sunglasses:

An excellent contribution we can provide to the software that gathers us together, as a tribe, is to contribute to the translations, whose orientation is in charge of our Shaman @jgjimenezs

http://community.nethserver.org/t/building-translations-team/693/8

You can also contribute, by translating the wiki, telling a joke or sharing a photo. The most important thing is your participation :thumbsup:

Hoping that our actions generate collective well-being, welcome.

3 Likes

Have you installed Mautic? I like it! Installing it on NethServer would be awesome.

You might be interested in news like this:

1 Like

Hello,

my name is Marian and I am from Slovakia. I work for one big reinsurance company and actually my job has nothing to do with IT.
The thing is, I was always interested to know more in the IT area, therefore I am boy for everything IT in one small company. I am doing that as my side job, mostly in my free time. There are approx. 15 people only … so installation & setup of windows computers, networks, printers, … Pretty much of everything.
I was satisfied user of Zentyal quite some time (non-paid version) and I have it at home as well. However limiting/removing some functionalities forced me to find something else, which is working, easy to understand & administer. Then I’ve found NS and installed it into a VM and I liked it much. So I’ve installed it in the company and soon (once I find some time for that) I am planning to do the same at home.

Thank you guys for the great work you do. I cannot express enough how I appreciate that. I am a linux noob, therefore it is many times difficult for me to understand logic behind something, however having the GUI in NS makes everything very friendly for me.

5 Likes

Hi all,

My name is Raul Casado and I am a Project Manager in a IT infrastructure project for the regional government in Andalusia, Spain. In me free time, I help some SMEs to transform their IT infraestructure in order to be up to day.

I am not running actually Nethserver but I really like linux and the community projects that arise around it. I arrived here because I read a Google+ post and I found really interesting the purpose of the project.

I am installing an instance in a VirtualBox VM in order to try and learn how it works.

Thanks for such a great work.

Best regards.

1 Like

Great! Our great members @Miko10 @pelo are from Slovakia too, at this point we need a Slovakian translation of NethServer.

Happy to hear this! Please let us now how it’s going with your company/home installation.
Just asking, how do you have found NethServer?

You have to meet our @mabeleira, he’s working for government too in Uruguay.

That’s great! it seems that social network stuff work well :smiley:

What do you think about NethServer? Does it suit SMEs needs?

Ehi @apradoc looks like our @spanish_team has a new guy to add.

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

We will happy to help you with your goals :slight_smile:
How do you found us? What did you look for?

Do you have any plan for future installations?

I have two instances of freepbx installed for over a year now - one of them is in standby in case the other goes down. Freepbx is a great piece of kit and minimal on resources. I find it great that it is being incorporated into the NS but I would be concerned of it sharing resources with other applications - is it possible to isolate or allocate dedicated resources to asterisk within the server so quality doesn’t drop if the VPS is under strain from other apps?

Another project I would like to see incorporated into NS is turtl - https://turtl.it/ - Its a secure sync server to host notes, pictures and other clips. I’ve struggled to find a secure self-hosting application to host specific information which I only want to be accessible by me and that it is kept encrypted while stored and transmitted. turtl seems to be a great implementation of this idea. Moreover, the project is hosted on an it domain, which leads me to believe the core project is based in Italy (as Nethserver ?)

A final suggestion for another project I recently came across to implement a chat client that can make use of the XMPP server in NS - https://www.jsxc.org/ - They have implementation for owncloud and SOGo (which I’m currently using) and I thought it could be an interesting chat client to incorporate into NS (or the owncloud/SOGo apps within).

1 Like

Well, to be frank … I was googling a bit and this post convinced me to the change.

1 Like

Alessio, I came across your project via Google search. I either landed on distrowatch or one of the many ** best linux server distros articles.

I might try to cabbage a older desktop together for a home nethserver project but for the moment I’m just planning on installing on my dell 2950.

1 Like