What is your Linux distribution

For a very long time for servers only CentOS and now NethServer.
For Desktop… starting from RedHat 5.0(!), then Debian, after that Slack and Ubuntu. After that for a long time CentOS 6, and now Fedora since version… 19 ? :thinking:

Did you try NethServer DC? I’d like to know your thoughts compared to ClearOS

Did you replace many CentOS? :smiley:

On some CentOS servers I have only added your repo, and it worked with some tweaks :wink:
If I will have to count it should be maybe 7-8 CentOS - not so much - but since I have found NS it is my only solution for servers.
I have one NS7 on VPS which is providing e-commerce solutions and it is working for 1 year … without any problems :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a good news :slightly_smiling_face:
Please, “our” repo. I/we don’t own any repo

7-8 are a good number. Congratulations :confetti_ball:

Sounds great! Which kind of software are you using?

My mistake

PrestaShop 1.6.x and because I have SSH shell then I could add some addidtional software like iocube etc.

Don’t worry. It was supposed to be a joke :slight_smile:

Do you have some notes? I read your post An howto would be welcome. I’m sure that some people will help you @danb35

I am just getting started. I was working on replacing my ClearOS6 server with ClearOS7. I would switch from a HP SFF box pulling 80W to a Zotac pulling 20W, but I was having heating problems with the Zotac putting in a 1TB drive. And I am much more now an arm advocate. ClearOS has no clear plan for supporting arm, or at least they will not answer my question.

I was contacted by Nethserver because of my work on the Centos-arm list and that I have a working email server (though right now with Redsleeve6) on armv7. Your team has an active interest in supporting arm units. The arm board pulls 10W.

So I come check out your platform and see that you have a Samba setup. This is attractive. I will put up a server (on an armv7 board) and see if it will meet my needs.

So it is quite premature to comment/compare. I have made some posts in the development area on matters so far. I hope that this month will see me get some solid testing done. And perhaps a new Sambe PDC and a new mailserver.

4 Likes

I love to compare stats. I am at quite different hardware than you are.
I think my server is very decent if you consider performance vs energy.
this is my hardware:

• Intel Xeon D1521 processor (4cores/8threads) @ 2.4GhZ
  • 16 GB ECC memory
  • 1 x 60GB SSD for cache
  • 1 x 250GB HDD for ProxMox and ‘local storage’
  • 2 x 2TB ZFS raid1 pool for storage of VM’s and CT’s
  • 2 x 8TB ZFS raid1 pool for starage of VM’s and CT’s

All this is pulling 70W with 7 VM’s running:
proxmoxoverview

Most VM’s have 2GB memory(available, not necessarily using) and 32GB virtual disk, except for my “main” NS7 VM which has 6GB RAM and 900GB virtual disk.

1 Like

Are you still using Manjaro? I have a few Manjaro 18.04 machines and think abt to write a HowTo for joining it to Nethserver AD…

5 Likes

@fausp
please do! I was pointed towards Manjaro (I believe by @laylow on Telegram chat) I might give it a try! If I can join the (NS) samba domain that would be a huge pro!

1 Like

Switched to Manjaro since some weeks now. I was an Arch Linux user before so I am quite sure I will not feel discomforted anyway.

For me the winning point was the hardware support: discrete video card and bumblebee recognized and configured out of the box, same with audio, suspension and hybernation. The stable version is quite adequate for business and it is quite bleeding-edge anyways.

2 Likes

If suspension and hibernation is working correctly, I will give it a shot for sure. Currently with Fedora29 and a few weeks ago with openSuSE after suspension my laptop spontaniously reboots. This is the case since linux kernel 4.17. Now with linux kernel 5.09 it still is not working properly. It would be a huge relief to have suspention (more precise: coming back from suspension) working again.

F29 suspends correctly on my workstation!

As I said, since linux kernel 4.17, as soon I close the lid of my laptop and reopen. First it looks ok: I can log back in but the fan is at 100% and after some 20-30 seconds the OS reboots spontaniously. This happened both in Fedora (first F28 and F29 and also OpenSuSE)

/me is a true fedora lover

Actually, I do not care. As long as It can run the applications I need to use in a stable way. I am not part of any (distro) fan club.

I rather enjoy other stuff.

1 Like

At work and home I use Manjaro with KDE

And I have a few servers: debian, ubuntu, proxmox and the lovely NethServer.

1 Like

Seems a hardware problem though. Maybe a BIOS problem. Suspension and powrer management worked correctly in older laptops after recompiling DSDT from the BIOS and loading the hacked version from kernel… But that was 2006 :grin:

Fedora 28 and 29 have been and stable and reliable for me.

Nope, after having keyring issues, I moved on/back to Ubuntu and Fedora.