NethServer 7.7 Cockpit Edition released

We’re happy to announce that NethServer 7.7 Cockpit Edition is publicly available.

Why a Cockpit Edition?

Already introduced in version 7.6, Cockpit is now complete and available by default on new installations.
It makes the server administration easier providing a modern looking and user-friendly interface.
We didn’t only redesigned the web interface but also improved usability and added new features.

What’s new?

This release marks a big step forward for communication, collaboration and security, introducing:

• New interface and stats for VPNs
  • New interface for firewall panel and dashboard
  • New interface for fail2ban and Web Proxy
  • New dashboard for fileserver, stats on shared folders and audit integration
  • New way to manage multiple backups and restore
  • New NextCloud panel
  • Webtop 5.7.3
  • Mattermost 5.15 and NextCloud 16.0.5
  • New panel for UPS and NUT
  • New system reports
  • New apache integration and welcome page

We’re confident that it will be as always a great release and it will achieve our mission: making sysadmin’s life easier. This is thanks to the most vibrant, supportive and friendly community in the Open Source space (and not only Open Source).

About NethServer

NethServer is an Open Source operating system designed for small offices, medium enterprises and homserver. It’s simple, secure and flexible.

NethServer is ready to deliver your messages, to protect your network with the built-in firewall, share your files and much more, everything on one system.

Release highlights

Many new features were added since the last NethServer ISO was released, they are all available today with NethServer 7.7. Let’s see the most important improvements:

New interface and stats for VPNs

• Usage stats for each tunnel
  • Connections history for every user
  • Send account configuration by email

Other Roadwarrior features

• custom routes
  • change protocol UDP/TCP
  • enable/disable account
  • compression and algorithm selection

New interface for firewall panel and dashboard

We completely re-designed WAN, Traffic Shaping, Port Forward, Connections and Local rules.

New Fail2ban interface

Statistics about active Jails and more

New panel for web proxy

New dashboard for fileserver

Stats on shared folders and audit integration

New way to manage multiple backups and restore

WebTop Groupware 5.7.3

• Faster login loading time
  • Mail grid compact view

And many more

New NextCloud panel

Mattermost 5.15 and NextCloud 17

New panel for UPS and NUT

New system reports

A beautiful recap of your system by collecting data from logs, databases, services, files and showing the results in a fully customizable dashboard running directly on your system.

New Apache integration and welcome page

New Applications page

Installed applications are listed under the Applications page. The administrator can pin custom shortcuts to his favorite items.

Download and install

Who wouldn’t want all these fantastic new features?

• You can install NethServer on a virtual machine or on a bare-metal server using a DVD or USB stick
  • Upgrade from 7 versions are supported through the Software center for community installations (check the paragraph below)
  • Automatic upgrades to 7.7 for #subscription are being be rolled out

Ready to check it out? Then head to the docs and download:

• Direct ISO download, 1,2 GB nethserver-7.7.1908-x86_64.iso
  • Torrent info hash 94a282f5cf56229e5a24d4b94875bbc35145a1af
  • SHA1 6466e4896586530f9d2138b35c5502a2bd73abad
  • MD5 22aeeddaec8ae55de965105f97a3ba3b

Upgrade from NethServer 7.6.1810

The update process is now available from the Software Center.

• First step:

• Second step:

:warning: After the upgrade, reload the Server Manager web page from your browser ( Ctrl+Shift+R or similar) to fix the new style sheets.

Documentation

Did you find a bug? Please report it here – every bug you uncover is a chance to improve the experience for thousands of NethServer users worldwide, also our amazing beta testers team will be called upon to give its support on that!

9 Likes

I guess this Announcements item is the “press release” of

Right, @alefattorini?

Is “Cockpit Edition” anything different from the 7.7 release?

No, I think. This is just a press announcement…

@alefattorini is it going to be posted also on https://www.nethserver.org/blog-nethserver/ ?

1 Like

This is stretching the truth a bit I would say.

yep my server has been upgraded … this is good.

What’s missing? I can add “almost” if you you feel better :smiley:

Yep, working on it and sending a newsletter to all our members and press

I just collect a long list of difference from 7.6 . for who’s not following the community

I hope this is not taken in any offensive way, the work done is tremendous.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Cannot find php-scl on Cockpit

Yahoo!!!

hello,
dhcp server is not available on the new interface…i had to switch to old interface

No,
you can do it with cockpit. For example go to en01. On the right side is a button configuration. There you can activate and configure the dhcp options.

Regards

Uwe

I’ve installed latest updates, but don’t get an upgrade button. :confused:

What mandatory software is needed, before you get the upgrade button?

Netherver Subscription - add that and refresh the software center.

1 Like

I would like to thank for the truly fantastic job done with cockpit integration, this software now really features enterprise-grade looks!

Well done!!!

3 Likes

I also am not seeing the “Upgrade”?

I received the ‘warning’ about the 7.7 release and when I looked at the ‘PackageManager_Configuration’ there was no option to change updates origin to “Locked” (not that I was going to);

I updated all the software - now on:
NethServer release 7.7.1908 (final) / Kernel release
3.10.0-1062.4.1.el7.x86_64

I checked the subscription (valid and current); I rebooted; checked and there is no “cockpit.service” installed.

The Software Centre shows the “New Server Manager (Beta)” available to install. Should I just be doing that? This is a production server so didn’t want to ‘experiment’ too much.

Thanks,
Klaus

1 Like

It is safe to install the new Server Manager on existing systems, as stated by the Release notes:

The new Server Manager implementation based on Cockpit reached Beta stage and is available by default on new installations. Existing systems can add the new Server Manager module from the Software Center page.