Neth server suitability ect

Hello,

I sell quite a few servers and currently I seem to be selling more open source servers than Windows based servers.
Currently I use Zentyal community versions however long term it’s a poor strategy as the updates seem to be the issue (breaking the install) and with the current hysteria surrounding security I’m now looking for a Linux server that has proper support (security that is!).

I have had a look at Neth server and it appears to offer what I mainly use, namely VPN/Samba AD, dhcp and DNS. Also the internet filter looks a good utility too.

So whats the deal with Neth? I don’t expect free, even if you pay for the product you still save a fortune compared to MS as you don’t need CALS. Does one buy the server software or just elements of it and whats the deal with security updates?

Many thanks.

Hi

It’s all open-source. Download what you need, installing it as you need.

I’m basically in a similiar business, all my clients use OpenSource for Servers.
I run NethServer native on Hardware, but mostly a client buy’s a server (Like HP MicroServer for a SME).
ProxMox is installed on the Hardware, and virtualized NethServer is installed in ProxMox.
Mostly a Synology NAS takes care of backups - and synches the data and images to the clients home for an offsite backup.
I use OPNsense hardware for the Firewall, but in one instance a NethServer without virtualization is doing firewall, Monitoring and all server services.
UPS are usually handled by a Raspberry, configured for that duty.

This stuff is rock stable!

The NethServer Community gladly accecpts donations!
-> And is a great source for help, suggestions and such.

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Hi @quadpr5
The product is opensource and completely free with a great community. Problems are solved quickly, not only by users, also the developers are active at the community.
Updates are not installed automatically at the community-version so you can try it at a playground. But if you search for stable automatic updates and phone-support have a look at the subscription-plan:

http://www.nethserver.org/subscription/

Here is a actual discussion about subscription-plans:

If you have some ideas don’t be shy and tell us your ideas.

5 Likes

Hi @quadpr5 I just see your subscription request :slight_smile:
That’s our way to support the project and receive the professional support for your business.
Thanks @m.traeumner :wink:

4 Likes

Awesome,

When can I get my subscription ?!

Many thanks.