Multiple domain email SMTP mailboxes

mail
v7

(Lee) #1

NethServer Version: 7.6.1810
Module: Email

Hello,

First of all thankyou to the developers, maintainers and community for creating NethServer - I have found it fairly easy to use so far and hope I can pay back some day…

I am presently attempting to set up mailboxes for multiple domains (e.g. lee@domainA.com and lee@domainB.com). I have changed the DNS A record for both domains to point at my NethServer machine and have managed to set up the first email address. For the second, @domainB does not come up as an option when I go to Users and Groups->User name (it is fixed to @domainA.com). I have created a new domainB.com domain in Configuration->Email.

When I send an email to lee@domainB.com I get

lee.domainA.com gave this error:
lee@domainA.com;: Recipient address rejected: undeliverable address: User unknown in virtual alias table

I’ve read all the other threads I could find on this topic, as well as the docs, but can’t seem to find clarity on this. I have the following questions:

Is multiple domain SMTP email possible with Nethserver via the UI, or otherwise?

Is there a guide to add extra email domains and SMTP?

What is the virtual alias table and where do I edit it?

Can you see any fundamental misunderstanding I’m making?

Here are the related threads I found:

(Michael Kicks) #2

By design, no. NethServer do not support fully customizable multiple domain mailboxes.
You can have only one userbase and only one set of mailboxes/aliases, but these could be bonded to multiple domains.

(Lee) #3

Thank you @pike,

Let me rephrase:

Is it possible, by design, to send and receive email from lee@domainA.com and lee@domainB.com via a single NethServer Virtual Server instance?

Can this be done by “bonding to multiple domains”?

(Michael Kicks) #4

Only on the same mailbox.

(Lee) #5

i.e. the same domain, or can the same mailbox have muliple domains?

(Dan) #6

Yes, but if you want those addresses to belong to different user accounts it will be ugly (if they’re going to be the same account, it’s quite simple; just set up an email alias). You’d set up two accounts, call them lee1 and lee2. You’d then create a mail alias of lee@domainA.com -> lee1, and lee@domainB.com -> lee2.

(Lee) #7

Thanks @danb35, yes it is the simpler case :slight_smile:

Is and “Account” the same as “User” in this context (the “account provider” seems to be fixed via the LDAP install)? So far I have mapped Alias lee@domainB.com to destination lee@domainA.com, which doesn’t work. I can’t quite seem to figure out how to do the mapping you suggest…

(Dan) #8

That should work. What happens with this?

(Lee) #9

Great, I just re-tried and it did work, perhaps I just didn’t allow enough time earlier. Many thanks!

(Lee) #10

A link to the relevant part of the docs, for future readers…

https://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/mail.html#email-addresses

(Michael Träumner) #11

Could you mark your answer as solution please. So other people can find the solution much easier.