Install VestaCP

Has anyone installed vestacp in dockers?
https://hub.docker.com/r/niiknow/vestacp/

@kelevra

Hi

VestaCP seems very much a dead project - for some time too…

Serghey hasn’t commited for a long time, no newer builds, only dpeca still seems active, but fixes are only in Github, not in the packages…

So why bother with vestacp?

If you need a WebConsole for Centos, than have a look eg at CWP…

Note: A WebConsole on a NethServer doesn’t make much sense…
The console can’t handle the esmith templating, so it’s two controlling software biting each other…

My 2 cents
Andy

1. I like it for its simplicity and simple interface, unlike CWP, which is more suitable for a provider and not for an organization of 10 sites. 2 you Can make great templates for absolutely any CMS, reverse proxy, load balancing. Since it includes Nginx, no one in netserver, as I understand it, wants to use it (I have asked many times), and when using Apache, proxy pass does not always work correctly. 3 What does esmith have to do with it if we are talking about installing a Docker? I would be satisfied with such an implementation for example:
    firefox_2020-06-14_19-54-22

Hi

A lot of settings in NethServer are controlled by e-smith Templates…

AFAIK, VestaCP doesn’t include the hosting / services, it’s just the control for that.
That would mean you’ld need to install more docker stuff, like nginx, mariadb/mysql…

The VestaCP Docker can’t control NethServers Apache, SSH or a lot of stuff needed, like PHP Versions - because they’re templated in e-smith templates.

NethServer does have Docker stuff, like Portainer. Maybe try loading VestaCP in there…

As to VestaCPs capabilities with Load Balancing… On one single server? :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

Portainer is a Docker management system that is actually easier to manage from the console. So far, net server is running with errors, starting with the installation of netserver-docker, which is actually done from the console and not from the nethserver web interface. So for vestacp, which in the container contains everything it needs including DB, Nginx, Apache, php-fpm… By the way, you suggest to do the dockers management not with e smith, but with the help of Portainer, which has nothing to do with esmith.

e-smith is the templating system of NethServer.
A lot of stuff is configured there. If files in /etc are modified, they can get overwritten when rebooted or updated.

NethServer doesn’t itself use Docker. For NO services or add ons.
So it doesn’t need or use any Docker managment tools. These are “added in” later on…

Portainer or Docker Support is there because people requested it, but I consider it a crutch.
If I need docker, I’ll run it in a container or VM, not within NethServer!

I didn’t know the docker for VestaCP contains everything needed. :slight_smile:

Actually, this means they’re not using “pure” Docker philosophy, as Docker philosophy implies splitting up everything possible (aka atomizing). A Docker for nginx, a docker for mariadb, a docker for dns…

What you describe with the VestaCP “Docker” sounds more like a LXC squeezed into a docker…

Using Docker has no advantages for my 25-30 clients using NethServers. They have no need for the scability Docker offers, and less need for the complexity Docker introduces. Like overdoing Networking, or VERY badly done Networking, depending on the Docker and it’s creator…

NethServer is extremly stable as is!

My 2 cents
Andy

I will not argue I like it myself although I use it as a router+ spam filter. Although I could easily configure mikrotik, asus rt-n56u, and Opensense for port forwarding, see the topic
The port is not routed to another VLAN. And netserver couldn’t do that, which remains a mystery to me!

The Portainer in netserver is itself a Joker that directly controls the Docker machine. The dockers themselves are not managed via e smith. I have in my organization, in addition to the net server itself, several ESXi servers with more than 50 vm + dockers. I just wanted to combine netserver and proxy pass on nginx with a convenient interface and vestacp templates

@kelevra

That sounds sensible, for your use case… :slight_smile:

For my clients I use almost exclusively OPNsense as Firewall, DNS, DHCP and VPN Gateway.
As a firewall it is much more powerful than NextServer.

I used VMWare from 1997 (!) to about 2015…
It always was very stable, but also VERY slow to copy over a VM to NAS for Backups.
I moved to Proxmox in 2015 because of several reasons, like clustering, live migrations and full HA Cluster, live Backups for all OS AND full LXC (Linux Container) Suppport, which none of the others include (VMWare, Hyper-V, XEN…). And all this for free!
I consider VMWare to be grossly overpriced, and very dependent on Windows Servers (To manage a Linux box!). The pricing is also very complicated, compared to Proxmox.

I never liked VEEAM, as that always needed more Windows Servers (totally unneeded).

I love NethServer, it works well and serves my clients very well too!
They use NethServer as AD, File, Print, NextCloud, Zabbix Monitoring and more…

My 2 cents
Andy

There I am annoyed that all the settings are stuffed into different categories. While you set up a VPN, you will go through 10 categories. In netserver, everything is somehow on the shelves, and convenient delivery of VPN configurations all in one file, not in 4!

OPNsense - not quite true…
I use both IPsec AND OpenVPN on OPNsense.

One great thing is the find field on top right. This is for finding settings… Type in Route (First letters are sufficient) and it is shown above. Same for DNS, DHCP, Users and all!

Another cool thing is the option to restore only Parts of a configuration. That helps to create a standard config, which can be used on other OPNsenses…

Comparing OPNsense to PFsense, I find that the pfSense GUI looks dated (very old). I much prefer the OPNsense GUI and Dashboard.

I don’t see why I should pay for open source. Mikrotik is commercial.
I can’t download an Image and install it on proxmox (Or VMWare, for that matter).
Seeing the above, I wouldn’t touch Mikrotik with a long pole, for me they’re in the same league as the (crappy) ZyWall or SonicWall…

The Zabbix Agent for monitoring is a must, I don’t see anything like that on the Mikrotik page. I don’t even see a Nagios NRPE or such.
And the tools seem to be catering for a Windows audience. The Dude for monitoring?
To reset the router I must use a Windows box? The Web Interface isn’t usable to do a factory reset?
Don’t make me laugh!

And for me, OPNsense works VERY well, is easy too use!
If it’s not broken, why fix it?

YMMV…

Andy

Then you can immediately use mikrotik, it’s all there and works quickly.)))

As said above: Mikrotik: It’s NOT all there!

Full HA Clustering? (Two boxes working as one). No extra costs!
I can even use any combination of real hardware, virtualized hardware for this.

Source Code? Not possible, if I have to pay for a license key for the OS.

Monitoring? Not possible on a professional level. This means either Zabbix or Nagios in Open Source, and I find Zabbix MUCH better. Dude on Windows must be a bad joke!

BGP Routing? I don’t think a toy can handle BGP (Border Gateway Protocol)…

Disaster Recovery / Factory Reset needs a Windows Box? (Used for TFTP, which almost ANY OS can handle…)

Sorry, these are serious issues, differences like this make either a consumer toy, or a serious device.

My 2 cents
Andy

In microtik in General, BGP m is managed via ssh. The configuration is set very similar to cisco. You can even do it without the gui.

I was persuaded to switch to Opensense, and Nginx is there)))

OPNsense is Open Source, and they have the right mentality. All is free. You can buy their boxes and support the distro (I do let my clients buy such a box…) but there are no paid Enterprise options. All is included in the downloadable.

Nginx is there, so are a lot of other stuff! Like for you: VMWare Tools… (But also VirtualBox and XEN) KVM on Proxmox doesn’t need any, and Networking get’s me nice 10 GBE NICs in OPNsense on Proxmox!

See the add on packages, the list is fairly long…
I like that, I like their philosophy, and I stand behind Open Source.

I’ve been more than 35 years in the networking business, I can (and have) handle Cisco, but I think Cisco is overpriced. And not very comfortable.
The console management is quite OK, but:
Cisco: If I enable SNMP on a Cisco Switch, I do not see why I have to waste my time and also set firewall rules on a Switch, especially if I activated SNMP… (The firewall rule should be automatic, with manual override if needed…).

Cisco and companies like Mikrotic are so focused on making money out of their products that they do not offer you a download / installer / ISO to run on any box or on a VM for testing, learning, or as a backup in a clustered environment.

OPNsense does offer you all that!

My 2 cents
Andy

To be honest there are subscriptions and plugins that can’t be used in a corporate environment without a subscription!

On OPNsense?

I do not know of any…

But you can buy commercial support, if needed.

But all plug-ins in OPNsense are free!

I installed absolutely all plugins a couple of weeks ago and read about them. There are such.

Are you a native cyrillic speaker?
No offense intended, always facinated where people use cool Open Source stuff!

My own ancestors are from Switzerland and Asia… :slight_smile:

Andy

I’m not offended, I’m from Russia, Moscow.
I have almost all servers on Centos, except 1C, a terminal for accounting, which does not work normally there, and our users are afraid of Linux…)))

I’ve even been to your City, but my first trip was a very long time ago. (Breschnew times…).
We were then even flying Aeroflot. They have massively improved! :slight_smile:

I do recognize written cyrillic, but Serbians and other peoples also use cyrillic, so that’s not a full indicator…
I can’t really read or write cyrillic (Nor speak russian except for da / nyet / and your equivalent of “cheers”, which i can never spell correctly!) - but I do, for example, recognize St Petersburg, Moscow or Ekaterinburg in cyrillic.

Andy