Install VestaCP

Youā€™re right, but those are commercial plugins by third party developersā€¦
There are a few there, mostly in the Intrusion Detection area.
I donā€™t need theseā€¦

I do like the option for automatic backups to NextCloud (or Google, if anyone wantā€™s thatā€¦).
Or collecting the config automatically via API.

And I really like the monitoring options that come with it. I use mostly Zabbix.

Opnsense also has a lot of errors. Configuring the VPN server ended with this, in netserver, this has never happened when configuring Openvpn. Yes, you can configure it faster via the console than in the OPNSence interface)))

Fatal error: Uncaught OPNsense\Core\ConfigException: no valid config loaded in /usr/local/opnsense/mvc/app/library/OPNsense/Core/Config.php on line 240 OPNsense\Core\ConfigException: no valid config loaded in /usr/local/opnsense/mvc/app/library/OPNsense/Core/Config.php on line 240 Call Stack: 0.0001 409256 1. {main}() /usr/local/www/wizard.php:0 0.0657 6587552 2. eval(ā€˜step12_submitphpaction();ā€™) /usr/local/www/wizard.php:155 0.0657 6587552 3. step12_submitphpaction() /usr/local/www/wizard.php(155) : eval()'d code:1 0.4267 6610016 4. write_config() /usr/local/etc/inc/plugins.inc.d/openvpn/wizard.inc:798 0.4285 6686848 5. OPNsense\Core\Config->fromArray() /usr/local/etc/inc/config.inc:151 0.4319 6687344 6. OPNsense\Core\Config->fromArray() /usr/local/opnsense/mvc/app/library/OPNsense/Core/Config.php:221 0.4320 6687368 7. OPNsense\Core\Config->fromArray() /usr/local/opnsense/mvc/app/library/OPNsense/Core/Config.php:221 0.4326 6687560 8. OPNsense\Core\Config->fromArray() /usr/local/opnsense/mvc/app/library/OPNsense/Core/Config.php:221 0.4326 6687776 9. OPNsense\Core\Config->fromArray() /usr/local/opnsense/mvc/app/library/OPNsense/Core/Config.php:221 0.4326 6687776 10. OPNsense\Core\Config->checkvalid() /usr/local/opnsense/mvc/app/library/OPNsense/Core/Config.php:181

Iā€™ve had to help a lot of people in this Nethserver Forum having probs with Nethserver / OpenVPN and routing. Never had issues with VPN in OPNsense myself - so far!

:slight_smile:

I have long realized that my secret vocation is a software tester, I will find errors everywhere)))

1 Like

A friend of mine, heā€™s an egyptian married to a swiss lady, does exactly that: software testing.

His employer is a swiss bank (You can only get it 50% wrongā€¦ :slight_smile: ) - and they pay him an ungodly sum!

At work, I have our developers for 30 minutes to find errors that they could not get for six months. They represent a clean program, and I immediately find errors in it

1 Like

Itā€™s not a bug, itā€™s a feature! :slight_smile:

Canā€™t really comment on the docker stuff (still playing with protainer but Iā€™m also very new to it) and I come from a Xen background. @Andy_Wismer is driving some good points about Opensense. Personally I use pfsense (only because thatā€™s where the majority of the support videos come from) but feature set wise they share much in common. Iā€™ve transitioned 60% of my remote sites from Unifi Security Gateways over to pfsense for automated ACME Lets Encrypt cert renewal, geo-fencing & DNSBL/RBL DNS filtering, reverse proxy and much more.

This dude helped me get my first feet into the project with his demos - might also be of some help.

1 Like