Coronavirus, How are our Italians?

Hello Pike

sounds better than nothing… A lot of Hub projects are started with valuntaris. One is building a simple Ventilator. I am working in a project to birn up faster testings with easy and cheap PCR Thermocylers. This idea started with the found of openpcr.org

Nelson Mandel says “One men one whote”. We will say: “one men, one Virustest, one day”
Hope it will be running.

“Glad” to say that into 5 hours of Folding@Home client active, i were not able to fetch any workunit.
The bright side is that a lot of computing power is pushed into the project, allowing molecules and proteins to be simulated and/or analyzed. This lead to open more project SARS-CoV-2 related (the virus, not the disease) for trying to understand how virus works (this could lead a way to disable it’s capability to connect to the cells and spread into humans) or how some drugs can relate with that, allowing to reduce time for drug/treatment test on humans.

More details available here.
https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/30/covid-19-free-energy-calculations/

1 Like

I’m still folding with 26 CPUs

1 Like

Keep on going… in here folding with 15 windows cpus, a windows
gpu sadly gtx 1030 and eight nethserver cpus… If you’re out of
wu’s, just be patient… The massive jump in foldanteers means
emtpy queues meaning not everyone gets something to do…

Stay safe friends.
@LayLow
How are you?

1 Like

“A friend in need is a friend indeed” ???

Both Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and 3M have responded to U.S President Donald Trump’s request to stop selling N95 respirators to Canada.

“The Federal government will continue to follow up on trade and deliveries… trade goes in both directions… there are thousand of nurses in Windsor, who work in Detroit everyday, Americans depend on them… it would be a mistake for both of our countries to limit access to goods and essential personnel,” said Trudeau.

Windsor Ontario ← border → Detroit Michigan

For many years, Canada and 3M had contracts for N95 masks…

Michel-André

F@H was supported by Oracle for enhance the server side of the project, accorging to the twitter account. This will help to deliver workunits and retrieve results from any client available.
Necessarily the availability of computational power will be reduced after a way to treat safely and cheaply COVID19 will be found, but i hope that into the rush of this so massive power available more other projects will get some boost. Alzheimer and Huntington are still obscure diseases for us.

Blonde guy and carrot guy… I’m sorry, i cannot understand who’s the dumbest sometimes. (no disrespect intended for populations or nations)

Personally, even after a cure would be found, the only setting
i’m changing is from always fold to “on idle” on my main system,
and nothing on my nethserver router. Even with cpu pegged at 100
percent, all services “teamtalk” and a few game servers, as well
as firewall and all other things, run just fine…

1 Like

Hi @m.traeumner, thanks for asking. Almost symptoms free, just some small fever attacks now and then.

4 Likes

Get well soon. Hope your family is not ill too.

2 Likes

Thx. Family all ok. I stayed in strict quarantine. Asks for discipline, but required for a good cause.

2 Likes

Keep getting straight to discipline, @LayLow. I hope everything goes for the best.

1 Like

I’m pretty concerned about the USA numbers, and the way that the carrot guy is relating to media, world, health service, scientific community.
As few other countries, USA has economic power, latitude, resources and companies to manage the medical emergency. But what about the aftemath? Software licenses and services will keep flowing cash to US. Even profits coming from big markets.
This economical crysis won’t cease in two months to buy your DB support, your cloud account, your Cellphone OS.
But for the rest of things that US exports every day? Maybe streaming will partially compensate the lacking of people going to cinemas, but which country will be able to buy again rights to broadcasts films from US?
Which company who’s trying to save money will still consider US product interesting if there’s a closer option for ERP, CRM or something about?
Which company when it will be time to change network equipment will keep paying the top price for US product when there are some interesting other brands much more affordable and with similar reliability (who’s writing this is a fan of HPE about reliability).
Carrot guy seems to p155 off a lot of people. Inside US, more outside US. By my perspective, he’s going to make more damage to US than Covid19, only trying to make believe US being stronger than it is.
According to data provided by Johns Hopkins
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
more of 30% of cases are US based. Less than 1% of population compared to less than 0.4% in Italy, which is statistically a bit more cramped about people density, but USA has both jammed cities and big planins and mountains without houses or cities for tenths of miles. And people found infected raise about 20k every day.

I strongly hope that someone will make understand the carrot guy that this seems not the best way to contain.

5 Likes

Hope everything is fine now?!

2 Likes

Still very cautious. IMO it’s a bit too early to open up, but first steps are being taken over here in the Netherlands.
From June 1st restaurants and bars can re-open with strict measurements, but I doubt I will visit one any time soon.

In Italy that’s the second day of full open. Dumbasses are enraging, most in the center/southern part of the nation, which has considerably lower people infected (Top 5 infected regions are in the northern part). Most common rule disregarded is the use of the facial mask, which is not the strongest shield in the world, but it can help avoid a lot of troubles for others.
I keep using outside home, keep distancing, even if i am quite sure that i am not infected nor are people who i meet. Being cautions and mindful is still the best way to interact.

Thanks, doing fine!

3 Likes

After few months of “controlled” evolution of the infections, during last few days registered ill persons par day increased a lot.
Today it reached more than 5000. +4000 in total current count (about 1k healed). Top new cases was 21/03, with 7.5k, top increment the same day, about 6.5k. Top number of self isolated people has been more than 83k (29/04), now hits around 62k.
What seems nicer than the tougher period in Italy is the number of hospitalized people, still less than 4.5k, and the number in ICU, less than 400. Top was 33k, with about 4k in ICU.

Stats are not playing nice, and i know that Italian’s number are pretty good, compared to European countries, US, Brasil, India (at least, as stated by Johns Hopkins release numbers). I know that numbers are not telling the whole truth about situation: top test number in Italy was reached today, 138k. On 60M people is still… a small number.

I hope the the world will race as one against this “enemy”. But I won’t bet a dime on that.

Student in italy came back lately at school, here in France we started school early in September, we have a lot of cases now. My son got two classmates and a professor positive for coronavirus, it is closer each day.

I think the error in France was that at first we started to save lives with the lock down, but this summer we have tried to save the economy by allowing people to go everywhere. For sure we have disseminated the virus, people went to the beach to have fun and drink a lot :smiley:

Actually we have Four zones in France, even if I live in a far far and little town, it is a red zone. We can still have bar and restaurant but big town like paris, toulouse, marseille, Lyon have now restrictions, you can only drink if you eat something in the bar/restaurant.

The hospitals are still well actually in France however it is about something like 30% of people there for coronavirus, the second round is coming quite fast and this time it will be for the entire country. We lack about nurses and doctors it will be really a complex problem soon.

all is well contagions are increasing yesterday they were 4500 more but for now the situation is sustainable. the new DPCM requires masks always and in any case except making exceptions.