Community Input for Future Trainings

Would you like to have additional community lead training sessions?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe

0 voters

Hello Neth people,

I am sure this will come up over the weekend NS Community Meeting but I wanted to take a moment and get a feel for the amazing work @Andy_Wismer (THANK YOU!) shared with us this morning. With today’s training not only did I find myself learning more about a product I would never otherwise use I found myself having fun in the process. So I would like to ask, would the community as a whole want more of these type of trainings on specific NS modules that are led by fellow Community & Staff members? If so, how often would you like to see these classes & what other modules would you like to see covered?

Personally I would take all the free education I can get from people who have active experience using/deploying NS in their daily lives. The more I get in front of educational material and practice with a given product the more I learn & use them. PfSense/FreeNas at first were horrible for me to use simply because I had no clue what any of it did or why I would use it. To make this more NS-centric I would love to see more hands on training for Guacamole, Threat Shield, Firewall and Docker. The shape this ultimately will take will be dependent on input/participation from all of us but I hope starting this discussion gets the process started.

5 Likes

I already have plans for one with NethServer and HomeAssistant… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

First of all - I‘m absolutely blazed by this community!
I‘m just in deploying my very first Nethserver and must say it was a breeze thanks to that real high quality documentation as well as all tutorials i‘ve found here.

I fully agree to @royceb: Having the opportunity to learn from active users, developers and professionals as well is something I‘d really appretiate.

That sounds great as exactly this scenario is on my mind to be deployed . :+1:

2 Likes

@chrkli

My Home Assistant instance at home. Accessible from the Internet with SSL, so I can use the App on my iPhone…

As we have excellent public transport, and I live opposite the main railway station (And main local bus station, too) I also show the next departures for Trains and Busses…

And the technical part, like Speedtest stats… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

Und Grüsse nach Trier vom Bodensee!

2 Likes

@Andy_Wismer

I have to admit I’m really impressed from just two screenshots.
My own HomeAssistant began to evolve just recently ( python venv installation on an ArchLinux VM). Mobile App attached as well (SSL only of course :-)), my dashboard is merely empty except some room lights , however my „needs“ grow quiet fast.

It would be a pleasure for me to attend!

Regards
Christoph

Viele Grüße zurück!

More food for the mind…

Here not so sensible, but as I was living in Germany for a few months last year, some Tado Heating monitors or equavalent zWare heating control would be nice…

Stats for each room (Temp, Humidity, Brightness, soon also CO2…), MultiMedia integrated, Light control by movement sensors and programming, like considering season, time of day, but also not just switching on a light, but dimming over from effect-lighting to “daylight” lighting in 3 seconds… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the input Royce. Let’s create this Training Team.
I think that we don’t need expert, but people that want to share their experience with others
If I am the beginning I just need a member that shows me the first steps. Do you agree?
We can try to collect a list starting from your mentions:

• guacamole
  • threat shield
  • firewall
  • docker

I offer my support to help that initiative (sorry for yesterday @Andy_Wismer but I was really busy!)

1 Like

@royceb why not talk about this trainings today? During the roundtable?

1 Like

I did a horrible job at this yesterday but here we are. We have ~ 10 people saying they are interested and at 7+ I think the online trainings are worth the investment. What would help now would be identifying the top priority modules, signing up experienced users/instructors to lead a class on a module and to hammer out curriculum.

Do we have any requests or inputs on these ideas?

2 Likes

No you did not, especially in the middle of the night!

Well one thing which kind of bothers me is my inability to communicate how easy it can be to rebuild/port the arm stuff…
If it it isn’t easy you really need grasp the possible hiccups, these are very rare though…
The real difference are early boot stages, on very rare occasions some packages can have intel/amd specific code in them.

So now kind of like to turn it around, what can/should I tell about this ARM stuff…

3 Likes

Nono it was really helpful.

What about a mini workshop where you show how I rebuild arm stuff starting from the beginning?

1 Like