Survey: Making our community discussions better

I’d like to improve discussions here to help build a community that is worth everyone’s time to contribute and learn from.
So, I’d like to kick off some changes to help make it a place where each of you come every day to expand, grow and further the knowledge of NethServer.

To get started, here is a very short survey that will be helpful in ensuring this community is as useful as possible. Please be sure to answer all the questions if possible. Thanks

Part 1. Community Topics

What kind of content/discussions are most interested in?

• Asking questions and getting help
  • Reading and Learning from support topics
  • Sharing and discussing ideas
  • Learning from howtos and guides
  • Testing new things (like new features, modules, releases…)
  • Staying in touch with the development updates
  • Hearing cool members examples/stories
  • Reading stuff about community (teams organization, welcoming topics, general discussions, brainstormings)
  • Something else (please post as a comment)

0 voters

What kind of NethServer features are you most interested in?

• Firewall UTM
  • Multi Wan
  • Proxy and Content Filter
  • Mail Server
  • File Server
  • Web Server
  • Active Directory Integration
  • VPN
  • Groupware
  • Private Cloud
  • Virtualization on NethServer
  • PBX
  • IDS-IPS
  • Fax Server
  • Jabber Server
  • Something else (please post as a comment)

0 voters

##Part 2. Report and Digests

Please evaluate the usefulness of the Community Digest

• 1.Unuseful
  • 2.Slightly useful
  • 3.Somewhat Useful
  • 4.Very Useful
  • 5.Essential

0 voters

Please evaluate the usefulness of the Development Updates and Release Announcements

• 1.Unuseful
  • 2.Slightly useful
  • 3.Somewhat Useful
  • 4.Very Useful
  • 5.Essential

0 voters

Please evaluate the usefulness of the NethServer Updates Newsletter

• 1.Unuseful
  • 2.Slightly useful
  • 3.Somewhat Useful
  • 4.Very Useful
  • 5.Essential

0 voters

Is there any type of discussion that you’re missing and we should start?
(please post as a comment)

6 Likes

As I am into educational functions I would like to see an easy way to implement (and integrate) educational applications. Maybe specific applications first like Moodle, Xerte etc… but also an easy generic way to implement and integrate any application.

We should start a discussion on how to get our community more streamlined. To be able to guarantee the quality of the content and fulfilling the expectations of the members (IE the reason why they are here and want to stay) clear description of tasks should be present. As I said before, these guidelines must be broad enough to not make members feel harnessed in what to do or what not to do.

PS: superb survey. I do hope there will be a lot of members responding since this info is quite essential to make the NethServer community better.

5 Likes

Do you have in mind any specific topic? As you know I love stuff like these. :heart:

1 Like

I used to be a leader and trainer in the Scouting movement. As with NethServer community, Scouting is all about voluntary members running the organization, giving young members the time of their lives and help them learning a lot of usual and unusual stuff. With being a voluntary leader and trainer, responsibilities were on my shoulders. So although it was all voluntary, I had to make a commitment to do certain tasks.
I think the time has come that for some roles in the NethServer community the commitment gets in place so the community can count on the people that step up to have a certain task, that task is carried out.
See it as formalizing tasks and functions in the community.

4 Likes

Interesting point, just split in another discussion:

2 Likes

Thanks man, please share this on social network or wherever you can.

1 Like

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

2 Likes

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.

Yes , I think that subject for instalation on to signle drive and post migration to software RAID 1 is missing?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, please follow-up the properly discussion! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi brothers :+1:
I’m coming back having fulfilled my Homeland for certain missions. @alefattorini It was hard not to be near, but today we return

In this sense I really like to explore the possibilities of Nethserver as server for a MAM (Media Asset Management) well as Brightcove, Kaltura, Ooyala, or Veetle.

In particular I like Kaltura. one of my first approaches to the world of servers with Centos 5 was this software a few years ago.

I share this perspective with my brother @robb and less than a month I commented it to my countryman @jgjimenezs. A shared dream where the tribe Nethserver blurs the boundaries and overcome distances.

In this case the MAM Kaltura is focused on the features that support not only the requirements for streaming video, but al so creating a robust social learning portal. A SuperLMS.

I come here by the School Intranet and stayed for the excellent academy I found. Let’s make it reality with a grain of sand daily.

Regards

3 Likes

And the winner is… :checkered_flag:

What kind of content/discussions are most interested in?

1. Learning from Howtos and guides
  2. Reading from support topics
  3. Asking question + sharing and discussing ideas

What kind of NethServer features are you most interested in?

1. File Server
  2. Firewall UTM
  3. Proxy and Content Filter

Content usefulness

1. Development Updates and Release Notes
  2. Newsletter
  3. Community Digest

Some rough comments:

• I’m a bit surprised from this interest in fileserver+firewall over mailserver and AD integration. NethServer is not so famous as the firewall but we have many people interested in this function. That’s curious.
  • keep people updated about new updates seems appreciated, so I have to keep going with a clear summary of last developments.
  • solving support discussions and keeping them tiny looks very important. People are used to learning from knowledge collected there.
  • we have to move forward on guides and howtos, I feel like that what we have now isn’t enough, the wiki is pretty empty and badly organized. Some good stuff are here in the community and new people look for doc here first and not in the wiki.

What do you think about?

1 Like