Zabbix-agent2 vs zabbix-agent

Hello mates

A little poll, who use zabbix-agent and zabbix-agent2, explain why in the comments

zabbix-agent vs zabbix-agent2
  • zabbix-agent
  • zabbix-agent2

0 voters

1 Like

How To Install Zabbix Agent2 And How To Use It - I think this is the explanation?

1 Like

Probably, I am looking to monitor things not available with zabbix-agent like systemd, zabbix-agent2 does.

Maybe @Andy_Wismer could help you with zabbix?

2 Likes

@stephdl
@fausp

Salut!

If I can help Stephdl setup a Zabbix monitoring system, sure!
A small payback for all the great code Stephdl has written!

Just PM me…

Mes deux centimes
Andy

3 Likes

basically I did

monitor postfix
monitor systemd
send alert to telegram because my email server could be down
monitor LVM/RAID

@mrmarkuz is in the loop, if you have Templates or tricks, please shoot

3 Likes

@Andy_Wismer What do you think about using zabbix-agent2 instead of zabbix-agent? Is it safe?

Does it make sense to integrate some typical NethServer app checks, like Nextcloud?

What I use in check_mk and where I didn’t find a counterpart in Zabbix yet:

Some user login check like a webdav check for Nextcloud would be nice because it’s a more reliable check than just service running and it checks the account provider too.

I’d also like a mail loop test to check if a mail goes from some smtp server to another imap server.

Last resort is integrating SMS via mobile or GSM gateway because www could be down…

1 Like

@mrmarkuz

Hi Markus

Zabbix has a very good track record so far, both on security, reliability and also update reliability…
I’d say it’s safe, but I’d like to do a bit more testing…

I have a new Proxmox hardware at home, so far everything is working satisfactorily…

These can be done, both are good ideas as a standard, so is integrating a sms fallback…

Some user login check like a webdav check for Nextcloud would be nice because it’s a more reliable check than just service running and it checks the account provider too.

I’d also like a mail loop test to check if a mail goes from some smtp server to another imap server.

I have some more ideas, I’ll put these in a seperate post…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Did you already try zabbix-agent2 ?

Great.

@syntaxerrormmm do you have some ideas about the 2 zabbix agents or good checks to integrate?

the configuration of agent2 is nearly similar, I dropped the postfix template to the new folder of agent2, AFAIK it is workable.

It seems agent2 can do smartctl check for drives too

I would like to know how to import a template with an API inside zabbix, we have backend files, we know how to import them, a rpm and it is over, but templates for now need to be enabled manually. Hence my interest.

The GSM gateway could be a nice toy :smiley:

1 Like

I found an easy way with zabbix-cli (Download).

Create the file $HOME/.zabbix-cli_auth containing credentials:

Admin::zabbix

Import Template_Systemd.xml:

zabbix-cli -C "import_configuration Template_Systemd.xml 0"

You may use an old mobile phone with an sms web gateway app too.

1 Like

Cool, we could imagine a rpm to bundle extra templates and backends needed to monitor what we want on a nethserver. These plugin exist but need to be adapted to the distro path or sometimes be fixed like I did for Postfix.

This rpm will be extra, no require in it, you install it if you want

Relative to the gsm I need to do something for this, one day, I would like a multiwan.

Hi

MultiWAN with GSM is easily possible, at least for outgoing. AFAIK, in most of Europe, on 4G/LTE, incoming is NOT possible. Most Telcos (or all) in Europe use Provider-NAT for the 4G/LTE networks, meaning you’ll get a 10.x.x.x IP on your WAN, not a real Internet routable IP. So NAT will NOT work.

I’ve tested this for Switzerland and Germany with a few Providers. The Huawei Mobile Hotspot (The model with LAN connection) allows “Port Forwarding”, but as the Providers I tested use Provider NAT with a 10.x.x.x IP, this will not work for incoming traffic.

What WILL work is a VPN, if initialized from the LAN side. (Outgoing works).

Any experiences from elsewhere, or other continents?

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Look for “two-way APN”. It’s usually a really not cheap option for mobile connections and is reserved for some special applications.
Also… IPv6 is coming…

1 Like

Did you ask the Provider-Support if it is possible to deactivate the NAT? I use drei.at and it is possible, they call it “open internet”…

I did try, but the two providers I had available both did not have this option…
We only have 3 mobile providers in Switzerland…

This is why I am not hurry to go, mainly it is for people behind the router to continue to work, If I put my mobile in router mode it is the same. For a team it makes sense, for me at home even if I have to work it is not a first priority, of courser for the fun I would like to do it.

I have the box for emergencies, and a second one for working “On the road”, as both have unlimited Internet. My phone is limited…

And I often work with more than one box or notebook, eg Mac / Linux…
This way, both “see” each other and both have Internet…

This is true for the first installation but not for former installations :frowning:

1 Like

I think we could create a user for zabbix-cli with password saved in /var/lib/nethserver/secrets on first install. For existing installations one may need to create the user manually.

1 Like