Wifi Interface / Gateway

Hi,
I have installed NethServer on a local server, this server uses a wifi interface (wlan0) to connect to the Internet but once I have installed Nethserver and added the ip / gateway / dns info, I can’t access the WPA information.

I have had a look at the /etc directory and found that there is no wpa_supplicant directory. Also wlan0 needs to be set as the external network (red network interface).

Until I get wlan0 working, this server will not have external / Internet access.

The wifi adapter is an usb RT5370 - Ralink Technology Corp.

I think we never tested wan connection using a wifi interface.
Probably we’re missing some parts of the configuration.
Could you please try following CentOS instructions?
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/WpaSupplicant
You’ll need to install wpa_supplicant:

yum install wpa_supplicant

If you report success, we could file an issue and try to implement a new feature.

1 Like

Seeing that I can’t get this server to connect to the Internet, I am thinking that I will have to download CentOS v6.6 DVD and add it to the repository list or is there a copy of the rpms on the Nethserver disto disk?

After thinking about this, it might be easer to install a minimum CentOS and then install Nethserver.

A bit of a catch-22 situation – Can’t access the Internet due to minimum WPA infrastructure and can’t install the infrastructure due to no way of downloading the software (at least on this server)!

Beware that CentOS minimal CD doesn’t contain wpa_supplicant.
You’ll need the full dvd. Then you could probably follow this blog post:

Thanks, I have started the DVD download about 10mins ago.

I have just succesfully installed wpa access by mounting the DVD iso and modifing CentOS-Media.repo (then installing wireless-tools, wpa_supplicant and dbus)

Only problem with William Caba’s instructions is that ifcfg.wlan0 does not mention anything about gateways and that the resolve.conf (/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf) need to have a nameserver (either 1st or 2nd DNS) to be pointing to the router / gateway IP.