WIFI Configuration at the GUI

We, @smutje1179 and me, are searching for a solution to configure the connection of the WIFI Card at the GUI. In our case we need it for connecting the WIFI card as red interface to a Hotspot and the LAN Card as green Interface to a Notebook. IT’s for customers of mine, who are not able to do this at a configfile, but they have to connect to several WLAN Hotspots, so they have to configure it for the several hotspots.
Some years ago there was a topic about configuring the WIFI. @filippo_carletti had the idea to maybe implement this.

I think it isn’t done till now. Could we help with this? So you could help us how to write a point for the gui.

2 Likes

I am having the same question. While installating the OS the IP is automatically picked up by the hardware. so once I try to setup from GUI as Red or Green, it’s status doesn’t change and remains down.

In another post it is advised to use the configuration of Raspberry Pi,( I am new to Nethserver , what to talk of Raspberry PI).
If someone has configured it on a laptop using laptop’s wifi adapter, can you kindly give out the exact commands to be typed in NETHServer Dos mode , please.

Assume me a child who will type as you would say to enable my wifi status.

Thanks.

I even attached a usb wifi adaptor too. but it is also down .

Time for “mix ‘n’ mojo”, i have to assume.
All things below are pure theory, never tried to apply in any enviroment or connect a wireless card via linux shell.
I don’t think that use wlans on servers/appliances except for hotspot is a good idea…
Long live wired connections, for peace of mind and connection stability

First of all, remove zone red from the wlan, then setup wired green with the correct setup to access to internet; ff the only option is the wireless connection, consider installing temporary an access point in client mode, which will allow Green to connect to internet.
Therefore install wpa_supplicant, and configure it.

And add the start of wpa_supplicant as a systemd service for the interface, consider adding also the dhcp configuration as a systemd service.

This should bring interface up…
Therefore should be able to set it as Red interface for CentOS

4 Likes

This wiki howto should work for all archs:

https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=wifi_on_raspberry_pi

To learn about the command line:

To edit files easily if you’re used to Windows (like I do) I recommend nano.
To install nano enter the following at the command line:

yum install nano

To edit /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant (first step in the wifi howto):

nano /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant

After editing you have to save with CTRL-O and exit the editor with CTRL-X

When you enter

ip a

at command line you should see the network interfaces. There should be an interface wlan0.

1 Like

Of course you are right, but there are exceptions.

For explanation, a customer of mine travels to china very often. To secure his Internet Connection we want to build a Pi with nethserver running for IPS, Firewall and Proxy. He only gets WIFI-Connections from Hotels or his customers, so we have to do it with WIFI. What I also want to try is to connect the VPN of his FritzBox with the VPN of the Pi (Direct Link). But for configuring the WIFI connection we need a GUI, because the customer is not a sysadmin.

2 Likes

I can understand that proxy and IPS are quite smart and feature-rich options, but an OpenVPN connection with full tunnel redirect (even DNS query) could do most of the trick without create the GUI (and i am not sure this could be interesting for the project)
Anyway… Just my two cent.
I’ll keep reading this interesting topic.

2 Likes

I agree with your point.
But i have to learn on the resources which i have myself. Do not want to spend money on buying a new hardware. I have obtained few redundant laptops and a mini switch with 8 RJ 45 ports to do this learning.
My second point is about security ,which comes once all the hardware is working as desired. it should not kickoff right in the begining. i may be wrong but thats how i think.
If the same hardware is working fine during installation and connecting the Wifi network it shouldn’t go down. once the system actually starts.

Thanks, will give it a go.
:exploding_head:

@pike, i shall have a look onto this too. Thanks.

1 Like

Also with VPN we need the WIFI-Connection, so we need the gui for the customer.
We will try to build it.

2 Likes