What are you working on? Feb 2021

Hi NethServerians
that’s a super welcome to the 115 news faces from all over the world, they joined our community over the last 2 months
Let’s give a big “hi” to our new members :clap: :clap:

Now.

What specifically are you working on at the moment? What brings you here? Why are you using NethServer? :question: :grey_question:

If you’re new here, make yourself at home and welcome to NethServer Community :

2 Likes

Not exactly new, but im back after 3 years! :stuck_out_tongue:

After my failed business in teaching coding for kids around here in Brazil, im back to SMB support and security :slight_smile:

All good, its good to be back.

2 Likes

Well, I’m here to help you integrate an email archiving application (mailpiler) to nethserver. I’m sure you’ll like it :wink:

4 Likes

I am crying right now, normally at this time I flight to Brussels, to see, drink, talk, laugh, share, dance with you mates

Fosdem 21 I miss you

2 Likes

You’re right but we can open a beer tomorrow

Welcome! Oh yes We love it.

1 Like

I’m working on setting up my business as a technical ‘Virtual Assistant’ mainly focusing on desktop automation and administrative support. Main struggle is getting clients :smirk:
I’m testing Nethserver as a ‘backoffice’ solution for my own business and for the coaching & art businesses of my wife.
Main reason for wanting to use my own server is taking privacy things (GDPR and such) seriously and not wanting to rely on Big Tech too much.

Groeten,
René
The Netherlands

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome :blush:
At the moment looking through the how-to’s for anything interesting. I am here because to learn and ask questions. Right now I am using nethsever for my home firewall and reverse proxy.

1 Like

Thank’s for the welcome, as a lot of others have stated, I really like nethserver, for my need personally it’s nice to be able to run web servers & Email servers on the same machine as the firewall, the UI is nice and tidy with a large array of plugins/addons, I love it!

2 Likes

After our FOSDEM meetup I had the opportunity to go and finish this network/rack mount job for an SMB client.

4 Likes

I am looking for some IP6 things to understand them better

1 Like

I was trying to get a RPM built of Caddy, but took care of that yesterday:
https://repo.familybrown.org/nethserver/7/repoview/caddy.html

3 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome and really looking forward to being part of this community.

Right now we are looking at replacing our current mail server onboard our sailing vessels with NethServer.
Due to the high latency and packet loss environment with vsat gateways we hopefully looking to create some custom modules to assist with storing, holding, releasing, compressing email messages.
This could be adapting our existing in-house built configuration to working with NethServer mail.

always open to suggestions and ideas from the community

6 Likes

Hi @alefattorini Hope you are doing well.

I am IT administrator in a Production company in India. We have Microsoft Server AD in one of our unit, and for another unit I decided to go for the NS7+Proxmox discarding Zentyal due to community support I got here specially from @Andy_Wismer (he literally guided me step by step) for setting up NS7 AD for our second unit quickly by just following him. Some how I fear, that I was taking Andy precious time, by barrage of questions.

The learning curve was steep, and I have been constantly reading ever since. I am fortunate, to peek inside the working, advanced and well managed setups of him and few of his Clients - Proxmox, NS7, Zabbix, HomeAssistant. NAS etc etc, thanks to Andy.

Looking forward, for the Zabbix and ERPNext implementation on LXC of NS, OPNSense ( I have good experience in PFSense), TUTS on Raspbarian Board, Proxmox Backup Server (PBS 1.0), Wiregaurd VPN (https://www.wireguard.com).

4 Likes

Not sure where I’m going to go with this, but I’m playing with this:

and this:

and this:

2 Likes

Nice, Pls keep us updating

Build a Tiny Certificate Authority For Your Homelab

This part seems to work just fine, minus the hardware RNG (it hasn’t arrived yet, isn’t due to ship until next month). Configuring Caddy to use the local Pi CA rather than Let’s Encrypt was just a matter of two lines in the Caddyfile, and it happily obtained a cert. Now I see this:
…and assuming Caddy isn’t completely silly (and it’s generally pretty smart wrt ACME stuff), it will automatically renew every day.

Obviously, this requires adding the tiny CA cert to your system trust store, but that’s pretty easy, though their version requires the step CLI utility to be installed:
step ca bootstrap --ca-url="https://ca.yourdomain" --fingerprint (Root CA fingerprint)
step certificate install /path/to/root_ca.crt

3 Likes

Screaming against HPE USB Key Tool, not willing to recognize not 1, not 2 but even 3 different USB drives. (holy kamoly!)
I’m gonna try again without RDP connected to a Server (and drives connected).
My little ESXi needs some updates.

Edit. A clumsy reboot later, the tool works as intended. What the Pack???

2 Likes

This:

3 Likes

Target watt level?
Are you gonna use a battery buffer for take advantage of temporary surplus?

Those are 250W panels, so I should peak out at 2kW.

Yes, that’s a big part of why I’m doing this–I want a big UPS for my server rack. I have 6.5 kWh of LeFePO4 batteries on their way that I’m going to connect to the inverter.

1 Like