We need to change our behaviour here at NethServer Community

I agree with @kg66 and @mikabeckerich, to be honest, there’s a lot of community out there but only this community I subscribed. on my browser when i fire up, there is automatic tab that specifically open for NethServer Community so I can see every updates everyday. this community is very vibrant and easy to share your ideas. it’s been along time too I never posted here, this is because my company is in the middle of system deployment and migration. sorry guys :smile: in the near future I will become active again, but for now need to focus on my project :smile:

@alefattorini - hi mate, how are you :smile:

Cheers everyone!

1 Like

Hello everyone.

On the community, the biggest difference I saw, in this short time that I belong, is the concern to help solve problems, regardless of the type of problem, or member knowledge level. It really made me feel among friends. Thank you all.

However on the issue of research, also agree that it has a lot of information, but in my opinion of layperson, this information is very dispersed, I think if it possible to turn this into how-tos, in the future may prove to be even a book printed, or PDF for offline consultation. If it is possible to implement the videos, wonder, this would be a much bigger difference than all the other advantages that this community already has. @alefattorini I am a newcomer full of will, my English is poor, but I can help, I am available.

Hugs to all.

2 Likes

That’s a good habit man! I can feel your presence :ghost: replying sometimes doesn’t cost anything, let’s try!

Regarding this I want to extend a special thanks to all these people:
http://community.nethserver.org/badges/130/tech-support

We have already something here, how can we improve @saikrishnavedaraju’s effort?

1 Like

I agree with @kg66, I come almost everyday to read the forum, and every time I know I’ve somethings to say but I haven’t any time :’( I try to find some, and contributing on NS but its hard with my job

Ehi @Crazyusb happy to see you still around, yes we’re always really busy and we had a hard time making time for NethServer or others project. My advice is

Every time you catch yourself thinking or saying “I don’t have time for _”, replace it with “ isn’t a priority right now.”

Disclosure: I stole it from this post:

2 Likes

My personal plan is to install an all-in-one to meet the needs of my small business. I need a domain controller configuration, and share files for local users, a external mail server with antivirus, proxy and web remote access, a web server with multiple domains (plan to use wordpress), a web proxy, set up a firewall secure, vpn server to remote users, vpn site-to-site, block of pages. This is my project, there is a training or how-tos to teach to set all these functions? If not there, I believe this scenario is to be an excellent case for how-tos.

2 Likes

The community is welcoming, but … the information is scattered and sometimes work every day and there is no time to offer solutions. I am currently working for a client, 2 times try and mount a nethserver gw 2 times damage when it started to set. Basically I was trying to mount a gw Internet with DMZ (firewall) and openvpn. Finally install pfSense and is already running smoothly.
Because not ask at this forum? because I had no time for someone to help me or tell where to look, sometimes solutions need to be fast.
I task remains after more tests with nethserver and learn to solve problems (networking is not intuitive in nethserver)
Cheers

These situations are cruel… But I believe easily it’s true.

Myself,at work, I don’t successfully install Nethserver…
The firewall configuration was complex, and a blue vlan and green lan on the same interface was not working.
I don’t know if it was a vlan problem or a shorewall problem, I didn’t had opportunities and time to investigate, but the need of results fast… .So I had installed Pfsense.

Edit: I hope in the future I will able to switch, I think NS need more return of experiences to be more reliable.

Hello,

I’m honest.
My problem is the language. Less posting messages, but understanding the concerns of other friends here. As a former sailor although I understand the technical terms in the field of mechanical engineering, but unfortunately rarely out of the IT business. Although the translator of Google can help a little, but every word does he not understood.

Regards

Uwe

Ehi Manuel thanks for joining the discussion!
How do you suggest to improve information? Currently all data are here in community and in the official manual.
A few months ago we have created a new wiki trying to organize docs better.

That’s very sad man :cry: please I’d like to go deeper and understand what happened. Would you mind to open a new topic on support category? We need to make the product runs smoothly as you expected.

Please, I’d love to hear your thoughts on that going deeper into the matter, a new topic may be needed.

That’s a hot point. I know that writing in a different language isn’t trivial and I understand your concern since I’m not good in English at all. As I said in the past organizing a multi-language community isn’t straightforward, information may be scattered in multiple non-english discussions, but I’m always open to new ideas.

Recently I have noticed this community, they are using Discourse and the community is product-based like us. Check the topics with flags in the title

Also, Interesting how they have organized their docs+howto+wiki
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/pencil2-the-fairphone-forum-wiki-how-tos/5056

Hmm… interesting. I have the opposite view of the NethServer Community in the sense that this is probably one of the more active, helpful and welcoming communities that I’ve ever been in. In my experience, the following things happened:

• Got a welcome message as soon as I joined. Had a post to allow myself to introduce myself
  • Listed a problem I was working on and immediately got help and an offer to walk me through the issue from a member of the community

I couldn’t ask for more from the community personally.

In general, I don’t always respond because the Nethserver work I’m doing is more of a personal interest but it does forecast into what we could be working on from a work perspective in the not so distant future. So I tend to jump in and out of the things that I’m trying to work on. I suspect that will be true for a lot of different people as well.

In order to keep myself better engaged, I have changed the notification settings so that I get notified of messages that I’ve missed during the day.

All in all, I couldn’t be happier to be part of such an amazing community. Thank you for all the effort to make it such an awesome experience.

5 Likes

I don’t post simply due to a lack of know-how. But I am very interested in Nethserver, and the community.
I support the suggestion of How-tos as this is the first time I’ve built a server, and am trying to learn the basics from the ground up.
I use my Nethser ear just as a file server just now, but would like to add email.
But this means adding security to open the server up to the Internet.
So I suggest one of the proposed How-tos should be about making your server as secure as it can be.

2 Likes

Ehi Kelvin, thanks for your words you’re making some guys very happy here. :heart_eyes_cat:

Of course, people tend to jump in discussions they are already interested in, my concern is that people don’t feel at ease to add anything new to the conversation. So I try to understand why and how can I help with

That’s a good habit, everyone should change the notification settings at will, just a clarification about that:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/whats-the-difference-between-tracking-and-watching/5430

Thanks for your reply and proposal.
We’re already working on this, would you mind adding your feedback?

Hi there,

I am quite new to Nethserver and it’s community.

As soon as I registered and asked a couple of questions I found people willing to help, and it’s clear this comes from the “upper levels” in the team as well as from users helping each other. That part you got covered very well.

Leaving docs aside (I haven’t delved deep enough to comment about that) one thing I find pretty uncomfortable is this “forum” system… Maybe I am getting old, but I prefer more traditional systems, where things are more clearly organized, there not so much waste of screen state and you can narrow down your searches.
I visit other support forums using this same system and it puts me off too…

Best regards.
MadOp

Hi to all,

I’m a german people and as discussed before english is not my own language.
I’m working as product manager at an local city carrier (not DTAG) but
I’m not a technician. I want to expand my experience for two reasons: I
want to recommend solutions to our customers in addition to our products
and I want learn more about these solution by using them. This is the
reason that I use Proxmox as (excellent) HA-virtualization platform,
running nethServer as VM (by the way: I used SME-Server over years before). It’s running very well!

How ever. The administration manual is not bad, but if I search for specific information such as login/password for the additional services you offer - and I find nothing … ?!?

Anyway: congratulation for your solution and many thanks to developer.

Best regards from Germany

Telekomiker :sunglasses:

Ehi @MadOp thanks for replying to my call and I’m glad to hear that you have been feeling at ease here :slight_smile:
what do you mean with “the forum system” what are you suggesting as more traditional systems?

Hi @alefattorini, it’s nice to see devs caring about the community, I actually said that when I went through a survey a while back.

By “this forum system” I mean the platform we are using to exchange this posts, here at “http://community.nethserver.org”. I don’t know (or find) its name o who is the developer.

And by “more traditional options” I mean regular forum boards such as SMF, phpbb and so on.

Hi MadOp,
Yes the initial feeling is that it is strange :smile:
Give it a try for a couple of weeks and then you will get accustomed with it.
I find it easy now to use it and it is more “live” than a traditional forum board.

The “live” feature is the one that I like about Discourse