VLAN and Guests Network

It might have been easier to just use the vLAN Tag on your WLan-AP, instead of on the switch!

As I said earlier, the Switch doesn’t even need to know about the vLAN…

1 Like

Oh, that simple? Will try that out now.

As the switch doesn’t know about vLANs (specifically vLAN8), the traffic just passes through the switch, just like the traffic when you’re surfing the net…

A switch has options of Tagging Ports, or using unTagged Ports. If you “Tag” a port, ONLY vLAN traffic goes thru, it ignores all other traffic.

1 Like

I Might be doing something wrong in the NS side, since the AP is quite simple:

My new SSID wont distribute DHCP that i set.

On the NS:

DHCP:

Oh wierd, i just noticed CIDR is 192.168.8.x

created another vlan with id 9… and ip 172.16.9.x will test that out

@ssabbath

Hi

Where did you see that 192.168.x.x subnet? In Nethserver, the Switch or the AP?

1 Like

NethServer, under the vlan8 i created, i noticed as i create vlans he keeps creating routes

and as i delete them, they wont go away…

br0.8 lots of them

i guess i can delete them manually later

tried manually add IP and no good too :frowning:

lol much better now

@Andy_Wismer

Here, i saw the CIDR 192.168.8.254 in the one i created early… now its okey i think

The WLan-AP you can access now?

1 Like

Yes, without the Switch configurations i can access him!

Do i need to create a CIDR?

No, you don’t NEED a CIDR network…

1 Like

Still no good, tried something on my Wlan-AP with some “managed vlan” and it just stopped working haha :slight_smile:

Ganna reset it and start over. The endless fight, i will do some readings before i try again! :stuck_out_tongue:

Treat yourself to a dedicated OPNsense / PCengines… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, wont giveup that easy, i would hate to miss one more weekend here just becouse i need one more cable!

Its a very old building, is a pain to get cables around ahahha

Oh, did read this…

Should i configure my Vlan as RED?

1 Like

RED is for Internet, unless you create some rules, anythingfrom there can’t enter your network…

I called my access point support, and yes, on their side is all okey! I guess is something with my Switch, maybe he blocks something…

Well, i changed the Switch to a new one, this one is pretty old, and got that working… :slight_smile: All i have done in the past was pretty much right… lol, this switch was the “problem”

@ssabbath

This January, we migrated a doctors practice to a new HP Proliant Proxmox Server, also new Workstations with Win10, before that they were using Win7.
We got 5 identical brand new Intel Nucs. My partner set those up, a master, then 4 clones. all 5 working in the AD of Nethserver.

One of the NUCs kept losing the AD, after reboot it acted like a new Win10, freshly setup.
We had to exchange 3 times (warrenty), before it was working.

That specific box, and it’s replacements were probably a “Monday batch”… Half buggy or whatever.
This is something you can’t really bill the client… Ah well, win a few, lose a few - that’s life!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Haha, in portuguese we say its “micrisse”, some kind of stubborn equipment… :confused:

Anyway, the switch is dated, a good one, but was acting wierd. I feel a dummy switch would handle that with no problem? Am i right about this? Or it needs to be a smart switch?

No, if you’re just passing a vLAN, any switch will do.
I’m also using a nonmansged switch at home for my LAB segment, it just passes vLan99…
That works.
It’s a cheap Netgear 8 Port…

1 Like