Upgrading to NextCloud 10.0.1

Hi all,

New Nethserver user, first post, I will try to keep it short. :slight_smile:

First of all, I would like to thank the developers for their work! I think Nethserver is a great product.

I am setting up a Nethserver with Nextcloud and I bump into the following issue:

Basically I am unable to set the user quota to Unlimited or Default. I really need to set the quota as Unlimited for some of the users and I see that the issue is solved in Nextcloud 10.0.1:

I have Nethserver 7rc2 with the latest updates and I see that I have Nextcloud 10.0.0:

[root@neth ~]# rpm -qa | grep next
nextcloud-10.0.0-1.ns7.noarch
nethserver-nextcloud-1.0.3-1.ns7.noarch
[root@neth ~]#

Is it possible to upgrade the Nextcloud version to 10.0.1 so that we get the bug fix?

Thanks!

Lucian

1 Like

Welcome here Lucian and thanks for your compliments!
That’s a commong upstream bug so as you said we can fix it just upgrading to new latest version

@alep can you take a look at this?

2 Likes

Thanks Alessio!

1 Like

I’ve opened the issue https://github.com/NethServer/dev/issues/5155

It is on testing https://github.com/NethServer/dev/issues/5155
Thanks @lucian :wink:

4 Likes

Great! Thanks @alep :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would you like to help us with QA? @quality_team would be happy to help.
Please test the scenarios described by @alep into the issue and let us know

Seeing as I have a interest in collaborative communication platforms (reference to my last comment within the [Any opinions about Pydio?] (Any opinions about Pydio? - #4 by alefattorini) thread) and am fairly familiar with the NextCloud / OwnCloud project, I would like to help out testing Nextcloud integration with NS.

I have some free time tomorrow (and over the next 3 - 4 days) and will create a new VM containing a new NS installation solely for Nextcloud testing / development purposes.

4 Likes

@medworthy, @lucian what’s going on with the testing package? Can we release it as official update?

Good to know! As @davidep’s suggestion please update with the testing package and let us know how it goes

Ok, I tested 10.0.1 with NS but used the zip (non RPM) provided by Nextcloud. Installation was straightfoward (uncompressed into a new directory within the default www directory, created a new mysql database and user, then installed Nextcloud).

LDAP integration was falirly simple (duplicate the configuration from the previous NS based installation.)

Now that there is an RPM availble, Tomorrow I will remove the existing versions and install the RPM version.

I am intending to test both Webdavs (caldav, cardav) and file management features, I am not intending to test the client software (prefer to use dav to connect the server shares)

As far as I am concerned, The new version of Nextcloud should be fairly straightforward to integrate with NS (as stated above I will install the RPM version and see if I can use the existing NS NextCloud configuration files)

Also I remember reading somewhere within this forum that some people have mentioned that they have been using Samba with NextCloud / OwnCloud file management tools, I would suggest that this maybe a bad idea due to Nextcloud need to synchronize file information (ie. file tags and description information) to the mysql database and if using Samba to the file server then this information will not be updated with the database, therefore the files may not be displayed in the Nextcloud interface or when using webdav / desktop client software).

I did an upgrade test with the current version from testing:

--> Running transaction check
---> Package nethserver-nextcloud.noarch 0:1.0.3-1.ns7 will be updated
---> Package nethserver-nextcloud.noarch 0:1.0.3-1.1.g103d8ab.ns7 will be an update
---> Package nextcloud.noarch 0:10.0.0-1.ns7 will be updated
---> Package nextcloud.noarch 0:10.0.1-1.ns7 will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Then I go to the NextCloud homepage and I see this message:

“Update needed
Please use the command line updater because you have a big instance.
For help, see the documentation.”

Could it be that happens because you also have nethserver-sssd package from the testing repo? ldapTLS and the certificate check…

Nope, the only packages installed from testing were nextcloud and nethserver-nextcloud.

But it could be because I used yum install instead of update. This is the command I used:
yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing install nextcloud nethserver-nextcloud

I will try from scratch today with proper update.

No, it should be ok. Maybe some of my assumptions are incorrect.

I did this test:

• clean install of NethServer v7rc2
  • update all packages from software center
  • reboot
  • no account provider configured
  • install NextCloud from software center
  • checked that NextCloud web interface is accessible and working as expected
  • updated NextCloud from testing:
    yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing update nextcloud nethserver-nextcloud
  • checked that NextCloud web interface is accessible and working as expected
  • new version is Nextcloud 10.0.1 (stable)

It seems to be fine with this workflow.

7 Likes

Can you verify the bug? Logging on github and changing the label?

I can confirm @lucian results. Nextcloud 1.0.1-1 (including nethserver-nextcloud-1.0.3-1.1.g103d8ab) installs on a fresh NS7 setup.

This version can also be use to upgrade the previous version (which will overwrite any / all existing files whilst keeping the config.php intact). NC 1.0.1 also works with existing mysql and ldap setting. Webdav sync / shares working well.

As far as I can tell, NC 1.0.1 is working as expected and can be included into the existing repository.

1 Like

I have a few thoughts about future upgrades of NC, whilst examining the directory structure, I noticed that NC still include the occ PHP script (owncloud console toolkit), this script allows NC to be upgraded using the source directly from NC repositories.

I am now wondering if there is any advantage of using crontabs with the above mentioned script instead of using the RPM method.

Whilst I am on the subject of automated (time based) updates, is there any chance of adding a ‘auto-update’ function into NS?

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html

Regarding the original issue about setting quotas within NC, neither NC or Owncloud have ever had any options to control limits on storage quota.