Unresponsive server when installing on a VPS

Oh!! Been browsing the forums looking for an answer and in a few days didn’t manage to find that post!

Many thanks, will give it a try and report back!

@StreetGuru do not hesitate to ask if our assistance is required.

NS 6.7 is based on CentOS 6.7 (the version number of NS is the same with the version number of CentOS).
When you install NS from ISO, the version of CentOS is the same with NS.
When you install ontop of CentOS, the version of CentOS must be the same with NS version.

The minimal version of CentOS is 6.5 for NS 6.5.
After that you can try the upgrade instructions from here:
Release notes 7 — NethServer 7 Final (replace /latest/ with the proper NS version).

@GG_jr it is not that situation )

@StreetGuru please one more question

How about network interface ? Is it venet or bridge?

venet

I was originally thinking this was a network configuration problem but when I managed to access it via console I discarded that possibility. Can that be causing some conflict as well?

@Nas I dont really get the first step of the tutorial you sent me, can you clarify please? What exactly does it mean by “Then create CT in ProxMox using this template” ?

Thanks for your help

Fred

This step it is for OpenVZ provider )
Begin from step 2
and pls answer about Network.

@Nas I answered already above but forgot to mention you.

It is indeed venet.

Is there any additional configuration required for the network?

Many thanks,

Fred

Ok, this is the result:

I started by updating the system having in account what GG_jr mentioned above:

yum -y update
yum -y groupinstall core
yum -y groupinstall base

Then I reboot. I then start at the tutorial posted above:

yum install yum-utils && yum-complete-transaction && yum update

Which tells me that all packages are already installed and none was installed/upgraded. Fine, so i skip reboot as i had done this already after the upgrade. so i move on to the next step:

yum localinstall -y http://mirror.nethserver.org/nethserver/nethserver-release-6.6.rpm && yum update

Several packages get installed. I move on to the latest step:

nethserver-install

and that gives me the following output:

[root@box ~]# nethserver-install

NethServer is already installed!

You can access the Web interface at:

https://.:980
Login: root
Password: <your_root_password>

Installation log can be found here: /var/log/nethserver-install.log

When I check the instalation log it only contains two sentences:

Dom Jan 31 11:48:15 EST 2016 Already installed
Dom Jan 31 11:48:15 EST 2016 End

It’s obvious nethserver didn’t even get installed as for some reason it recognized it was already installed?? Also, there does seem to require some additional network configuration as it is not detecting the server’s IP address.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Fred

@StreetGuru :

1. yum install yum-utils && yum-complete-transaction && yum update

2. yum localinstall -y http://mirror.nethserver.org/nethserver/nethserver-release-6.7.rpm

3. nethserver-install

@StreetGuru

It is needed to change Venet to bridge, is it possible ?

@Nas

I dont think it is possible as this is the setup of the provider.

I have the exact same results with your tutorial. I have checked CentOs version at first boot and it is 6,4. So i rum yum -y update and that brings me to version 6,7 (Final). I install yum-utils & yum-complete-transaction and that goes fine. I then install nethserver and also installs successfully. And now I’m again stuck at “Configuring system, please wait…”

I really think this is a network configuration problem. Any other ideas? I would imagine most people would want to run this on a VPS and most cheap providers use OVZ with venet (I have 5 linux VPS and they all use OVZ and venet). But it feels like nethserver is not ready to be deployed in such an evironment?

I would really like to have this working so I could give it a try but honestly I am close to giving up on it… it’s been a couple of days, about 10 attempts in different machines and still I’m at the same point where i started!

Any configuration that can be done in venet adapter to configure the network right? I can not connect to the server again through ssh but I can connect on the console on port 22!

Amy ideas? Thank you for the assistance.

Fred

It is normal because NS do not recognize VENET network and after this words, it remove all /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ as by default template.

So it is a limitation of design,

@Nas So, nothing do be done? No manual configuration of venet with the correct settings?

HI @filippo_carletti @giacomo @davidep

PLS add “venet” support to our feature release.

[root@t ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-venet0
DEVICE=venet0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.255
BROADCAST=0.0.0.0
[root@t ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-venet0:0
DEVICE=venet0:0
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=x.x.x.x
NETMASK=255.255.255.255

[root@t ~]# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

venet0    Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  P-t-P:127.0.0.1  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:208 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:147 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:20594 (20.1 KiB)  TX bytes:22608 (22.0 KiB)

venet0:0  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
          inet addr:X.X.X.X  P-t-P:X.X.X.X  Bcast:X.X.X.X  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1

[root@t ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING="yes"
GATEWAYDEV="venet0"
HOSTNAME="t"

@Nas

Now, this is very strange… it seems that nethserver has erased the adapter config files:

cat: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-venet0: No such file or directory
[root@localhost /]# cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
[root@localhost network-scripts]# ls
ifcfg-lo ifdown-ppp ifup-ippp ifup-sit
ifdown ifdown-routes ifup-ipv6 ifup-tunnel
ifdown-bnep ifdown-sit ifup-isdn ifup-wireless
ifdown-eth ifdown-tunnel ifup-plip init.ipv6-global
ifdown-ippp ifup ifup-plusb net.hotplug
ifdown-ipv6 ifup-aliases ifup-post network-functions
ifdown-isdn ifup-bnep ifup-ppp network-functions-ipv6
ifdown-post ifup-eth ifup-routes
[root@localhost network-scripts]#

Can I just create a copy of both venet files before install and then access the server by console and recreate both files? would this solve the problem?

Thanks for your help,

@StreetGuru, unfortunately, it does not solve the problem because whenever you would press Submit in WEBUI, it will erase all config.

Since OpenVZ is not a real virtual machine, but a Linux container, it is harder to support it.
Also, venet interfaces don’t have a MAC address which is necessary to make it work on NS 6.
You could try to use a veth interface to work around the problem, see also: https://openvz.org/Virtual_Ethernet_device

But @StreetGuru, you could try this command before installing:

chattr +i /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-venet0

This will prevent the overwrite of network configuration.
Then after installation:

db networks set venet0 ethernet ipaddr <ip> netmask <mask> gateway <ip>
signal-event interface-update

Anyway you will probably experience some problems.
I hope the NS 7 will resolve this problem since udev does not relay anymore on MAC address to handle network interfaces.

@Nas @giacomo

Thanks for your reply. This post limitation is a huge turn-off, it hampers discussion and prevents following up on any problems. I urge understand this may be to limit abuse but it also limits the resolution of problems and I urge you to review it.

Thanks for the advice @giacomo, I have just tried to install it with the command you mentioned but unfortunately the results are the same - I am still stuck at the “Configuring system, please wait…” stage. In the meanwhile I went one to get an account with Luna Node and easily did an image of the iso and mounted on a Virtual Machine. I am now finally trying it out.

I believe Nethserver would be ideal to set up in an inexpensive VPS - you can easily get an OVZ with enough resources to run Nethserver for less than 50$ /year. Support for venet would open up a huge market for the project.

Just my two cents…

By the way, really enjoying it so far, though still early stages. A lot of great add-ons though I’ve been having a few issues with some of them, like the openvpn which I haven’t been able to get it working so far. Look forward to learn about it and to be part of this community.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

@Fred I was able to install Nethserver in a Proxmox 5.1 container. When I finish testing the container I will post a HowTo

1 Like