Unresponsive server when installing on a VPS

@Nas So, nothing do be done? No manual configuration of venet with the correct settings?

HI @filippo_carletti @giacomo @davidep

PLS add ā€œvenetā€ support to our feature release.

[root@t ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-venet0
DEVICE=venet0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.255
BROADCAST=0.0.0.0
[root@t ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-venet0:0
DEVICE=venet0:0
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=x.x.x.x
NETMASK=255.255.255.255

[root@t ~]# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

venet0    Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  P-t-P:127.0.0.1  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:208 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:147 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:20594 (20.1 KiB)  TX bytes:22608 (22.0 KiB)

venet0:0  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
          inet addr:X.X.X.X  P-t-P:X.X.X.X  Bcast:X.X.X.X  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1

[root@t ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING="yes"
GATEWAYDEV="venet0"
HOSTNAME="t"

@Nas

Now, this is very strangeā€¦ it seems that nethserver has erased the adapter config files:

cat: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-venet0: No such file or directory
[root@localhost /]# cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
[root@localhost network-scripts]# ls
ifcfg-lo ifdown-ppp ifup-ippp ifup-sit
ifdown ifdown-routes ifup-ipv6 ifup-tunnel
ifdown-bnep ifdown-sit ifup-isdn ifup-wireless
ifdown-eth ifdown-tunnel ifup-plip init.ipv6-global
ifdown-ippp ifup ifup-plusb net.hotplug
ifdown-ipv6 ifup-aliases ifup-post network-functions
ifdown-isdn ifup-bnep ifup-ppp network-functions-ipv6
ifdown-post ifup-eth ifup-routes
[root@localhost network-scripts]#

Can I just create a copy of both venet files before install and then access the server by console and recreate both files? would this solve the problem?

Thanks for your help,

@StreetGuru, unfortunately, it does not solve the problem because whenever you would press Submit in WEBUI, it will erase all config.

Since OpenVZ is not a real virtual machine, but a Linux container, it is harder to support it.
Also, venet interfaces donā€™t have a MAC address which is necessary to make it work on NS 6.
You could try to use a veth interface to work around the problem, see also: https://openvz.org/Virtual_Ethernet_device

But @StreetGuru, you could try this command before installing:

chattr +i /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-venet0

This will prevent the overwrite of network configuration.
Then after installation:

db networks set venet0 ethernet ipaddr <ip> netmask <mask> gateway <ip>
signal-event interface-update

Anyway you will probably experience some problems.
I hope the NS 7 will resolve this problem since udev does not relay anymore on MAC address to handle network interfaces.

@Nas @giacomo

Thanks for your reply. This post limitation is a huge turn-off, it hampers discussion and prevents following up on any problems. I urge understand this may be to limit abuse but it also limits the resolution of problems and I urge you to review it.

Thanks for the advice @giacomo, I have just tried to install it with the command you mentioned but unfortunately the results are the same - I am still stuck at the ā€œConfiguring system, please waitā€¦ā€ stage. In the meanwhile I went one to get an account with Luna Node and easily did an image of the iso and mounted on a Virtual Machine. I am now finally trying it out.

I believe Nethserver would be ideal to set up in an inexpensive VPS - you can easily get an OVZ with enough resources to run Nethserver for less than 50$ /year. Support for venet would open up a huge market for the project.

Just my two centsā€¦

By the way, really enjoying it so far, though still early stages. A lot of great add-ons though Iā€™ve been having a few issues with some of them, like the openvpn which I havenā€™t been able to get it working so far. Look forward to learn about it and to be part of this community.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

@Fred I was able to install Nethserver in a Proxmox 5.1 container. When I finish testing the container I will post a HowTo

1 Like