Unable to connect using Outlook for Android with IMAP and double-quote in password

NethServer Version: 7.8.2003
Module: dovecot
I have a user that uses Outlook on Android to access the mail and it stopped working last Friday and I suspect at the same time that I installed the latest updates including nethserver-mail-*. When I looked in the logs it says something about disconnecting the user because no password was sent. The version of Outlook is 4.2045.1 and the password length is over 90 characters. It works fine with the Gmail-app and also with Webtop. Which logs should I check to troubleshoot?

1 Like

So it should be a problem with outlook and the protocol. Do you use activesync or imap?

If it is imap, outlook has a not solved problem with several mailservers. Have a look here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_amobile-mso_mobapps/outlook-android-app-cannot-login-imap-email-server/f9b2f08e-7d8f-4755-8d80-d73fdc94d087?page=16

Maybe you could try a new password, there also was an problem in an older version, which should be solved in the new one.

Ooooohhhh… that’s so weird! :grin: :grimacing:

1 Like

Be nice @saitobenkei, don’t bite Microsoft products users. You should bite me too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t bite Microsoft product users, I bite Microsoft product written (specifically?) with feet.
:slight_smile:

Don’t be unpolite with feets. And with developers. Most of the times, crappy software is due to crappy project managers or to crappier architects.
Anyway, Outlook became “the microsoft services client” instead of “An email client”. I don’t llike that, but that’s the way currently is.

1 Like

or maybe company directives

Back to the main issue please!!!

The question here is not if somebody likes or doesn’t like Microsoft.

No one is angry with Microsoft here.
It’s just an observation of how strangely the imap part of outlook (desktop or mobile) sucks more and more.

He is using IMAP. Outlook 4.2045.1 should have fixed the problem to receive mail according to the update from today in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_amobile-mso_mobapps/outlook-android-app-cannot-login-imap-email-server/f9b2f08e-7d8f-4755-8d80-d73fdc94d087?page=16. Wasn’t the issue with double-quoutes fixed in 2.18.0? I’m currently using 2.18.2-1.

1 Like

This is right, but we don’t know what you are using.

At the first post on the link he says, that it doesn’t work:

I received an update. My version is now 4.2045.1. I still get the same login error when setting up my IMAP accoun

Yes it was fixed, I only thought, if you was at an earlier version before you have updated there could happen something wrong with the password by updating.

If you give us some more info, I think we can better help you.

I have been troubleshooting a bit more now. I installed Outlook on my iPhone, version 4.63.0. Then I created a test account in Nethserver to play around with. When the password has a double-quote will it during setup respond with “Invalid username and/or password” but if I replace the double-quote with a dot is it working.
The server is updated with all the latest patches and updates. The applications installed on the server are Collectd Charts, Email, Mattermost, Web server, Roundcube and Webtop. Please let me know if you need any further information.

Why don’t use ActiveSync (on NethServer) and “fake” Exchange server for contacts and imap with Mail on iOS?

This is how I use and support mobile clients using the ActiveSync and SOGo (your choice on what to use). With the ActiveSync I only need to open 1 port the internet and can control access via firewall rules.

According to the documentation for Nethserver does ActiveSync only support calendar and contacts so I don’t understand how that solves the problem to access the mail. iOS was only used to trying to narrow down the problem since I don’t have an Android myself. In this case am I not interested in workarounds, those have we already identified. I am however interested in understanding which limitations there are. Which limitations do we have when choosing a password? Which mail clients can I expect to be able to use? Or is this a bug?

Less apps installed on your device, with more access/use to the default apps.
So you have Mail for email via IMAP and ActiveSync for contacts and calendar, on default OS apps.

Is that a limitation of Webtop? My SOGo activesync allows for me to sync contacts/email/calendars on my mobile/Outlook 2016.

Coding with hands it is too expensive, so they hire people for coding with their feet

As far as I know, even Webtop can synchronize mail via activesync.
However, the correct functioning is not guaranteed.

@stephdl

As the americans say:

Pay peanuts, get monkeys…

:slight_smile:

Mes deux centimes
Andy

1 Like