Unable to connect using Outlook for Android with IMAP and double-quote in password

I’m actually not syncing contacts and calendar. Only the mail. Haven’t looked into the functionality in Webtop calendar to see if it’s good enough to replace the one in iOS. But we are moving away from my question, problem with accessing mail from Outlook on cell phone.

Could be that the documentation needs to be updated.

Synchronization with ActiveSync (EAS)

Mobile devices can be synchronized using ActiveSync. ActiveSync can be used only for contacts and calendars .
Source: WebTop 5 — NethServer 7 Final

I’m trying to get this thread back on track. :slight_smile:
To summarize it. It’s not possible to access the mail from Outlook on a cell phone using IMAP if the password has a double-quote.

@stephdl Is it a problem anymore?

I do not use it, I use other email clients (K9, nine) on android, I need to test them.

Yes, it is. Confirmed a couple of hours ago on a fully updated system.

With my nine client I can use a password with one " (double quote) and IMAP

It also works with the Gmail app as I mentioned earlier. The only client I’ve seen this problem with is Outlook. It’s a bit tricky to figure out where the problem but since it started after the upgrade to 2.18.2 do I suspect that Nethserver is involved to some extent.

Not aware of changes recently in the IMAP side of nethserver rpm, maybe you could check after dovecot itself.

How do I do that?

nethserver-mail-{common,server,imapsync,filter,getmail,p3scan} are the customisation of other rpm, we write the configuration of dovecot (used for pop and imap) and many others, postfix, rspamd, imapsync, getmail and p3scan

It is possible but not sure that dovecot got an update from centos which could introduce a bug. However if you want my humble opinion, the issue is related to the client, outlook for android

They are bad by design

1 Like

Here are the updates for November on my server.
nethserver-mail-server-2.18.2-1.ns7.noarch Fri 20 Nov 2020 12:18:26 PM CET
netdata-1.26.0-2.el7.x86_64 Fri 20 Nov 2020 12:18:23 PM CET
protobuf-c-1.0.2-3.el7.x86_64 Fri 20 Nov 2020 12:18:21 PM CET
nethserver-mail-common-2.18.2-1.ns7.noarch Fri 20 Nov 2020 12:18:19 PM CET
nethserver-mail-smarthost-2.18.2-1.ns7.noarch Fri 20 Nov 2020 12:18:17 PM CET
protobuf-2.5.0-8.el7.x86_64 Fri 20 Nov 2020 12:18:16 PM CET
netdata-data-1.26.0-2.el7.noarch Fri 20 Nov 2020 12:18:14 PM CET
netdata-conf-1.26.0-2.el7.noarch Fri 20 Nov 2020 12:18:12 PM CET
epel-release-7-13.noarch Mon 16 Nov 2020 12:44:54 PM CET
perl-Text-Template-1.59-2.el7.noarch Tue 03 Nov 2020 10:46:10 PM CET
nethserver-cockpit-1.7.10-1.ns7.noarch Tue 03 Nov 2020 10:46:07 PM CET
nethserver-cockpit-lib-1.7.10-1.ns7.noarch Tue 03 Nov 2020 10:46:06 PM CET
Latest update of dovecot seems to have been 17 September.

Everything worked fine until 20 November, no update of Outlook or changed password at the time. The problem is also reproducible with Outlook for iOS. It looks like something in the nethserver-mail-* updates broke it. I can’t find anything in the logs now but I know I saw earlier that it disconnected the user at once saying that no password was sent.

Without log evidences we cannot state

Reproduce and check in maillog, imap(?),Secure, messages

This is the last pull request to nethserver-mail

I’ll see if I can help you.
Scenario #1. Enter an incorrect password containing a double-quote in mail client, the actual password doesn’t contain a double-quote.
Outcome: This look as expected in the logs. This is from the imap log.
Nov 27 13:49:26 hostname dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 5 secs): user=, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.0.1, lip=192.168.0.2, TLS: Disconnected, session=<7fDnFha1k8HAqAGG>
And from secure
Nov 27 13:49:22 hostname auth: pam_sss(dovecot:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser=user email rhost=192.168.0.1 user=username
Nov 27 13:49:22 hostname auth: pam_sss(dovecot:auth): received for user username 17 (Failure setting user credentials)

Scenario #2: Change the password for the user in Nethserver to one that contains a double-qoute. Try again to set the password in the mail client, this time to the same as the one set on the server.
Outcome: I can’t see that anything is logged in any of the logs mentioned above.

Scenario #3: Add incorrect password containing a double-quote in the mail client. Both the password in the client and the one on the server has a double-quote but they doesn’t match.
Outcome: I can’t see that anything is logged in any of the logs mentioned above.

1 Like

You succeed to something I won’t ever think it could be possible.

I installed outlook on my phone. Result

Imap is workable with a " with nine
Imap is not workable with a " with Outlook

Like I said it is a client issue, not a server issue

Please report this bug to Microsoft

looking if we could find a topic about : dovecot + password + " (double-quote)

Please have look also to the internet if we could have a clue.

it work OTB with thunderbird

it works with curl but I think we have a clue

this won’t work
curl -v imaps://user:password"@domain.com

but this work
curl -v imaps://user:password\"@domain.com

Tested with K9 on android, it is good

I would probably call it a compatibility issue, it looks like neither side escapes the password and I say that both sides should do it to avoid this type of problem. It’s a minor bug, at least for me. How can we close it? There is no solution in the issue and your findings shows you can get the same result with curl as with Outlook.

could you try to connect with outlook and the escape command in the password

for example :
password"
use
password\"

3 Likes

That works fine.