Taking Opensource Too far:

I recently came across a solution which i find useful, and interesting, but then again in some way also confusing my mind.

Not that the solution in itself is bad, or that it does not meet or cant meet user needs, its actually a very nice and nifty solution, which a lot of IT support business, or even generally any large organization with its own IT support Desk and team would love, because it brings white labeling to a whole new level.

Most of you in here, know of TeamViewer as well as Anydesk and other remote support solutions, we even have a module in here Meshcentral Though for Meshcentral is targeting a slightly different arean and market, anydesk and teamviewer are mainstream remote support and access management solutions .

The Tool

So the Tool i came across is Remotely, this is an Opensource Anydesk or should i say opensource teamviewer alternative.
Its as impressive and gets the work done, with its gihub repo found here its developed by a passionate dotnet developer, who, interesting than to most opensource projects, mentions that donations to him would better help a charity organization than have much impact to his life.

So, this is a software you wouldn’t expect to have an opensource version, more so one that allows you to host your own remote access server, but then again, here it is,

So, let us know, which other tools have you come across that take open sourcing to a whole new dimension.

4 Likes

If it’s useful to you (Remotely speaking)… don’t forget to support.
Bug report, spread the word, financial support to the developer. Otherwise opensource is only… a way to steal time and capabilities. :wink:

1 Like

It is very usefull indeed, going to try it out.

For now, as for “free”, i use Chrome Remote Desktop. Its only drawback is to support “only” 100 computers per account.

A very interesting piece of software. Unfortunately, Windows based and therefore evil. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Question, did you test it in Public Server or did you host your own?

No saint Mac OS either…

1 Like

Cmon most business use windows and or. Mac. But it’s not Windows only since it also supports Ubuntu

I remember a while back I used/evaluated a program called simple help it was originally set up as an on premises linux web application wasn’t free but i think it worked out something like $200US per licence per outgoing support agent so as in need more licences per concurrent support requests but the licenses were perpetual.

the original software worked similar to chrome remote desktop except you had a portal page were someone (who needed support) would login and go into a queue and the agent would then click on them to initiate the remote support.

But on connection it would setup the secure environment without the end user needing to setup or have a static ip plus it was able to pre-scan the users system and give the agent the os and basic specs of the computer before assisting and while assisting it would automatically dump the event viewer logs (at least on windows) and have them available it also had a chat window on the side with transcripts available at the end.

considering this was 2004 it was pretty advanced at the time i think they moved into a software package install now but the old way was good if you were supporting people who the most advanced thing they could do was use the internet to login to the portal and physically talking them in to installing anything let alone configuring anything was beyond them

edit* turns out there still around https://simple-help.com/

@Shane_Treweek

Have a look at Mesh Central, installable on NethServer as a module from @mrmarkuz…

It includes all that, plus more!
And is completly free, open source.

Even though it showcases IntelAMT, the included Agent works very well on AMD based hardware!

The developer is fully employed by Intel!

I’m using this to support my clients now, running from my home server!

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

I’m adding it to my list of software as we speak

2 Likes