One my recently migrated Nethserver 7.6 machine, I ran a small update a little while ago. Results are catastrophic and I don’t know how to revert them. Update was as follows:
Apr 11 10:34:28 Updated: nethserver-mail-common-2.5.0-1.ns7.noarch Apr 11 10:34:30 Updated: rspamd-1.9.1-1.x86_64 Apr 11 10:34:31 Updated: nethserver-mail-filter-2.5.0-1.ns7.noarch Apr 11 10:34:32 Updated: nethserver-mail-quarantine-2.5.0-1.ns7.noarch Apr 11 10:34:32 Updated: nethserver-mail-server-2.5.0-1.ns7.noarch Apr 11 10:34:33 Updated: nethserver-mail-disclaimer-2.5.0-1.ns7.noarch Apr 11 10:34:34 Updated: nethserver-mail-smarthost-2.5.0-1.ns7.noarchbn
As of now, all incoming mail seems to be being blocked, and none of the accounts I’ve tried can send mail either. From Seamonkey, I get “login to mail.brillcomputers.co.uk failed” and a prompt to enter a new password. Doing so does nothing. I’ve change my password from the web interface, but that doesn’t help at all.
This is a real show sotpper - I don’t have the knowledge to revert this mornings changes, and this is a production server. Help…
For the moment, I think I have no choice but to put the SME server back in place. But this sort of disaster is something that I cannot afford to have happen anywhere else.