Request for advice on handling and use of Let´s Encrypt

NethServer Version: 7
Module: let’s encrypt, virtual hosts

Hi all,

this is not a “problem support request”. It is more to get some idea of “best practice” and “possibilities” for let’s encrypt (I will call “LE” in the following). Therefor I think It is a good idea to summarize my experiences and derived questions.

Initially, I had just one LE certificate for two or three domain names:
grafik

This grew up to say 10 or 12 domain names for one certificate. I accept this as this as there was no doubt for me to create just one certificate for all. I shared arround the certificate by simple copy scipts as described here:

For some reson - honestly, I can not remember how I made it - i do have now three certifcates:

I am quite shure I managed this during set up of email autoconfig:

Q: Is this in generall possible within nethserver to create more than one LE Certificate?
Q: If so, how do I do that, e.g. by providing different e-mails?
Q: Will all of these certificates be updated after three month?

Currently, I do no only on module, virtualhosts, for which I can select the certificate to be used. This works very nice, e.g. I used the www certificate for the www vhost (2nd from bottom).

Q: Are there any other modules for which I can select a specific certificate (reverse proxy is vhost, isn’t it?)

Q: is it possible to use several / single certificates within nethserver

Additionally, I copied the certficate to the radius \etc\raddb\certificates\ directory and linked it to the experimentals nethserver-radius module, see here:

The client (Windows 7) gets the certicate, but considers it as invalid.
Q: How can I share nethserver (and other) CAs to (windows, iphone) clients, is there any option to do this by AD policies?

TIA
Thorrsten

Certainly possible to do it in Nethserver itself, but not certain if it’s possible through the server-manager.

Unless the renewal script is very stupid, anything created by certbot should be renewed once it has less than 30 days’ validity remaining.

There shouldn’t be any need to do this with LE certs, as the root CA is trusted by default in all halfway-modern environments. Without knowing the actual error message, though, it’s hard to say what would have been happening there.

3 Likes