Questions about monitoring Nethserver from Zabbix 6 LTS

Hello @support_team

I’m using Zabbix 6 LTS from it’s own server (not installed on my Nethserver).

I’d like to add more monitoring around my Nethserver. Does Nethserver use a MySQL (or Mariadb) database? Can someone provide tips on how I can add a user to my Nethserver database to monitor it from Zabbix?

Are there any other Zabbix templates (besides the Linux Template) that they would suggest I use to monitor my Nethserver from Zabbix?

Hello @stephdl - I see you’ve created a templates for Zabbix to monitor postfix on Nethserver. GitHub - stephdl/zabbix-postfix-template: Zabbix template for Postfix SMTP server. I’m installed Zabbix 6. Would you know if these instructions are still valid for me to follow to be able to monitor postfix from Zabbix?

Thank you.

Hi Charles

Some ideas (They still work in 6.x…)

This is “only” a mail server, AD is elsewhere, just as Nextcloud or Zabbix…

My 2 cents
Andy

Hello @Andy_Wismer ,

Thanks for this reply! I don’t any Nethserver templates in my Zabbix? Where did you get these from?

Thank you.

1. Read the docs on Nethserver Modules (Zabbix)… (2 or 3 Templates)
  2. Rest are from Zabbix Share (template sharing for Zabbix)

Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy,

I did see those templates now that you mention it from the Zabbix Modules.

Do you have any advice on adding a user to the Nethserver database so Zabbix can monitor the db as well? I’ve done something similar to monitor my Zabbix database itself from Zabbix.

Thank you.

@greavette

Hi Charles

As I don’t use Webtop, but rather Nextcloud, I’ve had to change a lot the last couple of years, as NC requires a newer MariaDB version. At the moment it’s still WIP…

My 2 cents
Andy

absolutely no idea, but more generally do the templates in zabbix6 are compatible with zabbix lts 5

I Had some severe trouble installing zabbix agent in nethserver where zabbix server is installed! Dumb move… but i had to test it ahhahaha

Hi @stephdl , I don’t think all Zabbix 5 Templates work in Zabbix 6. In one example I use website monitoring on my Zabbix to confirm our internal webpages are up and running. The expression used in my trigger to determine the state of the webpage had changed between 5 and 6.

Follow-up question for yourself or for @mrmarkuz , how do you recommend I install the Zabbix Agent-2 version 6 on my netherser for monitoring from my Zabbix 6?

I’m reading this page and I’m a little confused about if we can use Zabbix Agent2 and what version of Zabbix Agent will be installed if I follow the install instructions from this page - zabbix [NethServer Wiki]

Thank you.

I bet zabbix-agent2 of zabbix5 because it is a dependency of the @mrmarkuz rpm but not enabled at the start

So until the community proposes zabbix6 then stick to zabbix5. IIRC zabbix6 cannot be used like this on NS7, we needs higher software version

https://www.zabbix.com/documentation/6.0/en/manual/installation/requirements

However zabbix 6 is the new LTS so what we need to make the upgrade @mrmarkuz

1 Like

We need to use docker. It’s still WIP. Migration is already working, I hope to release soon.

2 Likes

no rpm for centos 7 ?

Not for the server part:

1 Like

ping me if you need help

1 Like

Hi @mrmarkuz , I’m running Zabbix 6 already but on my own server (not Nethserver). I want to add a Zabbix agent version 6 to my Nethserver. You have these steps on your wiki:

First I add mrmarkuz repo:

yum -y install https://mrmarkuz.dynu.net/mirror/mrmarkuz/7/noarch/nethserver-mrmarkuz-0.0.1-6.ns7.noarch.rpm

Then I install the Zabbix Agent:

yum -y install nethserver-zabbix-agent --enablerepo=mrmarkuz

There are then notes about using zabbix-agent or zabbix-agent2. I tired to use zabbix-agent2 using these commands:

config setprop zabbix-agent status disabled
config setprop zabbix-agent2 status enabled

I then needed to add my Zabbix server to the zabbix-agent config file:

config setprop zabbix-agent 2 ServerZabbix 1.2.3.4
signal-event nethserver-zabbix-agent-update

where 1.2.3.4 will be my zabbix serve address. What version of the Zabbix Agent will be installed if I follow these instructions? Version 5 or Version 6?

Secondly:

If I edit the Zabbix config file manually, what is the command I use to restart the Zabbix agent on Nethserver?

Thank you.

Version 5

systemctl restart zabbix-agent

or

systemctl restart zabbix-agent2

1 Like

Hello @mrmarkuz ,

Appreciate your input.

Are there plans to add into your repo the ability to install Zabbix Agent version 6? In my usecase I don’t use Zabbix Server on my Nethserver…I only require the Zabbix Agent on my Nethserver.

I can use Zabbix Agent2 version 5 to connect to my Zabbix Server 6 but for currency it would be nice to use the latest agent on my Nethserver.

Thank you.

Yes, I’ll add it to the repo but it’s WIP and I can’t provide a release date now.

You can use Zabbix agent2 6.0 on NethServer now but you’ll need to install manually.

You may just follow the instructions for installing zabbix-agent2 6.0 and configure it by editing the config file /etc/zabbix/zabbix_agent2.conf and restarting the service.

2 Likes

Thanks very much @mrmarkuz for confirming I can install this manually.

Good to know I can do this install of Zabbix Agent2 manually on my Nethserver. Are there any issues with issuing this restart command to restart the Zabbix Agent2 on my Nethserver:

systemctl restart zabbix-agent2

I’ve seen reference to using this type of command when doing anything on Nethserver. I’m not sure when I need to use the signal-event instruction:

signal-event nethserver-zabbix-agent-update

Thank you.

That command will reconfigure zabbix-agent and restart the service, see also Actions and events — NethServer 7 documentation
It’s only available when the NethServer zabbix-agent is installed.

1 Like