Proxmox HA chat

Hi All!

AFAIK as I know from the official Upgrade path: Almost all works, except for those who Installed PBS over an existing Proxmox PVE. In this special case, you must wait until PBS 2.0 is out (implying it’s already in the works…)…

Today I’m also upgrading some Proxmox & Clusters, but all in the evening.

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Yes, I can confirm this, I did one node after the other…

I don’t use PBS but from Upgrade from 6.x to 7.0 - Proxmox VE :

Co-installed Proxmox Backup Server: you must wait until Proxmox Backup Server 2.0 is released!

2 Likes

:sunglasses:

So from what you write, you have to wait for version 2. I currently have the pbs in production clearly with version 1

Proxmox Backup Server 2.0 released!

2 Likes

Updating from PBS1.1 to PBS2.x is as easy as like doing a dist-upgrade.
https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_from_1.1_to_2.x

1 Like

Theoretically, but I am sure you know murphy’s law :smile:

1 Like

I saw the release just today! Thank you

@fausp

Hi

I have been using Proxmox for a few years now, and Upgrades - just follow the instructions for an In-Place Upgrade - it works!

My 2 cents
Andy

Yes as usual, I have been using Proxmox since 2010 and had always good vibrations with it…

1 Like

@fausp

Upgrades have always been easier with Proxmox, than say with VMWare ESXi or Hyper-V or Xen… (No need to boot from CD…).

And, Proxmox is one of the reasons I would also easily accept Debian under the hood, Proxmox has shown me how a server can be upgraded and used for several years - and hardly ever ANY issues!
(Around Debian 5 / 6, if I remember correctly, they also had issues with releases and so. But since then, Debian (Older than RedHat) has done an excellent job! And without ANY “Corporate” connections for you to sing the “Big” Blues…

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi, do you think it is worthwhile at the moment to upgrade only PBS with cluster in production 6.x? Maybe later I will plan to upgrade the cluster at a later time …

@france

Hi

If they are not installed on the same machine - I’ve seen people running PBS on top of PVE… - you should have no issues updating PBS first, then PVE (Cluster) when the time suits you…

When all systems are current, you get most of the new features…

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

great, I have a dedicated server for PBS so I can upgrade it to version 2. Thanks Andy

Yes, like me… I did the upgrade on a PVE/PBS Server and had just a problem with the NIC-setup (bond0). It works now, I will test everything…

@fausp

I also had a NIC issue (names of NICs changed), but easily solveable.
So far 5 Clusters upgraded, 4 PBS Systems also upgraded to 2.0.9.

The only issue was a virtual Win10 “Server” changing it’s network from private to public, and the Windows firewall blocking external access… :slight_smile:
On that Proxmox were 4 Windows systems, all of the same level (actually clones of one another).
Only one Windows showed that behaviour…

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

All by hand or did you use a tool for it? I am testing ansible on Nethserver 7.9…

All by Hand… :slight_smile:
I wanted to be careful becaues of Network stuff (MAC / Interface Name changes).

All worked.

Hi all Proxmox users here!

Just as Feedback to the subject of “Nested Virtualization”.

I have a client, a bookkeeper who used before NethServer a couple of Novell NetWare servers. These were long virtualized, running on VMWare ESXi 5.5, the last Version AFAIK to support Novell Netware.

These systems have been replaced with newer versions, now running on Linux. The older Servers were kept for archival, as bookkeepers in Switzerland have to keep data for 10 years.

The ESXi hardware, a very old HP Proliant Server had 10 years of age, and was discarded.
We just kept the VM Images just in case… I admit forgetting how fussy ESXi can be, regarding supported hardware, eg NICs, SCSI, etc…

All of a sudden (The above systems were dormant 1.5 years), my client needs data for a tax revision or something…

The Solution: Nested Virtualization on our new Proxmox server, powerful enough.
On our Proxmox, now running 7.0.4, I enabled nested virtualization, and installed VMWare ESXi 5.5 inside Proxmox, with dedicated 250 GB diskspace, enough for the two NetWare servers…

Novell Netware was a 32 Bit OS, so a max of 4 GB RAM (less actually).
The ESXi has 4 cores allocated, 10 GB RAM (2 for ESXi, 4 for each Novell Netware).

One unsolved caveat sofar: ESXi “loses” it’s local storage after shutdown / reboot, but they are quickly added manually. I need to find a solution for this, though.

This is what it looks like running:

Novell Netware will NOT run under KVM / Proxmox. There are no working / usable drivers for storage or networking, meaning an install as such is impossible. Migrating and converting a VMDisk from ESXi will also not really work, as NetWare has suport for eg the e1000 NIC, but will ABEND on the underlying Proxmox / KVM version, while working in VMWare ESXi with the same emulated NIC.

This works now very stable, my client confirmed all data was accessible - yet as VM uses hardly any recoursses on my Proxmox! Great solution. Start when needed, shut down afterwards, and all features Proxmox / PBS has to offer!

My 2 cents
Andy

5 Likes

i saw somewhere someone had used a thin client installed proxmox on it, just to achieve quorum on a server cluster, since he only needed two server, is that a good idea?