Proxmox HA chat

We have a french expression : Enfonceur de porte ouverte, that it should be something like to push an open door, I think I will use it today

I recently found a new love for proxmox, I use it at home to run several VM, but I feel it slow for my need when I want to start a VM for dev. Indeed I want to clone and start a VM in less than one minute, at least on my laptop with SSD it is what virtualbox does.

So I found in my bazaar an old SSS that now I use on proxmox as a clone destination for VM, and it is really fast, even if proxmox is running a VM doing a BackupPC backup.

Proxmox has now the same load, the same disk IO, but the cloning of a VM is really fast to the SSD

1 Like

@stephdl

Salut Stéphane

Ever tried using LXC for developing? Now that is really fast to spin up a completly fresh VM(LXC).
You do need to download the Templates first, either in Local or on Shared Storage click on Templates. Even a SSD can’t beat 1 minute! :slight_smile:

This also uses about 25% of the resources a full VM uses.

Eg: A client is running a LXC, SuiteCRM for 35 users. The LXC has 1.5 GB RAM allocated, and 512 swap!
And has been running 2 years+ now!

Andy

I use quemu, because NethServer, never really tried LXC

You must try it, you’ll love it - especially once you’ve adapted the templates to your preferences/requirements!

Just because we can!

:slight_smile:

it boost fast, but I do not know why the clonage is longer, need to check

I mostly create a new one each time.

Maybe this helps:

nano /etc/vzdump.conf

set this:

tmpdir: /tmp

Otherwise - shutdown - clone - restart

Mes deux centimes
Andy

I found an interesting video on proxmox and what to do when you set up a new proxmox instance

I love the hardware of the guy :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoZaMgEgrHw

1 Like

Just watched that one the other day myself, though it didn’t have much that I hadn’t already done. Just set up a Ceph cluster this morning for storage, which should really improve performance and availability of my VMs.

2 Likes

Is it correct, that there is no automatic crons set for scrubbing and smartctl in ProxMox, right? I’ think, I should implement this. If anyone just has a link with the needed bits it would be nice, else I’ll search for it myself :slight_smile:

I got this on main server, running by a monthly cron, it send me an email about how the disks are

https://geekeries.de-labrusse.fr/?p=3161

else if you want to receive an email in case of failing HD

https://geekeries.de-labrusse.fr/?p=3127

french documentation :smiley:

2 Likes

That would be for smartctl. But is it correct that there is no scrubbing configured automatically? And if so - how do you handle that, by a cronjob? Monthly? Or otherwise?

The first link is a cron that you run to email the result of smartctl, the second is how to run smartmontools as a daemon (smartd) and to monitor your drives. It is specific to debian because proxmox.

1 Like

I use a weekly cronjob for scrubbing my proxmox zpools .

1 Like

Reviving this topic
 :smiley:
Tomorrow I will receive 3 HP EliteDesk 800 with i7, 16GB memory and 250GB SSD’s. They will serve as compute nodes for my proxmox cluster. Quorum (if needed) and shared storage will be HP Microserver G8 with Truenas 12 installed.
Hope this will be a fun journey
 first hurdle: no monitor and keyboard so need a trick to install Proxmox VE on these three nodes. Any smart options?
Btw, it will be proxmox ve 7.0 and that is a version I haven’t used yet.

How about PXE ?

Michel-André

PXE could work but then I need to prepare an image that is 100% ok.
In another forum I asked for the same thing. There they suggested to install proxmox in a VM (for instance on virtualbox) and use the fysical disk of the computenode as target, No idea if that is going to work, but I can try. Just for fun I will try that route.
I just checked an old TV I have here and it happens to have a D-Sub port so I actualy have a ‘monitor’ for installation purposes. Just need to source a cheap keyboard now. Probably I’ll get one for a few euros in a 2nd hand shop.

Hi

I’d say you just chose the best route

At least you get to see the options of Proxmox 7 this way. :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

hi, has anyone tried to upgrade from 6 to 7?

Yes, it worked:

2 Likes

Well I have a cluster with 3 nodes in ha, with lxc, replication share zfs and nfs. I don’t think this complicates things, but I just wanted to get some feedback from you if the upgrade worked. However, as I had already written in the official proxmox forum, it seems that even starting the migration from node 1 at reboot, a hybrid configuration will appear, that is node1 pve 7 and other 2 nodes pve 6. Also having a PBS server I have been told that there are no problems in this regard. At the moment thank you very much!

1 Like