Problem Migrate FileServer APP to NS8

Hi all i have this scenario:
1st VM (NS7 File Server)
2nd VM (NS7 Samba AD DC)
3rd VM (NS8)

I have install ns8 migration tool on 1st and 2nd vm.
But on NS7 File Server i have this message:

UPDATE:
I migrate the samba ad dc to ns8, on ns7 file server i remove the old account provider and then readd point to ns8 and is complete without issues.

But the message on NS7 File Server remain, i need to transfer manually the file from ns7 to ns8?(if yes what software i can use to do it?)
Thanks

Mostly sure it is because of this (from the documentation):

Additionally, shared folders will not be migrated if NS7 uses a remote account provider.

… so yes, it seems you will need to make a manual migration of the file server.

Hi
What software you reccomended to manually copy the file from NS7 File Server to the new NS8 File Server?

If using Proxmox, some VMs support using Virtio-FS for file sharing between VMs.
Other ways: scp, rsync (which can continue interrupted jobs, retain permissions, ACL… and is the method used by the migration app), shared storage (or setting the shares and copy from one another), extract from a recent backup (ns backup or pbs backup if running proxmox)…
On some cases you can attach to the new VM the disk from another VM, then copy files.

After all is transfered you might need to reset permissions.

Probably @Andy_Wismer and other members know which is the fastest/safest way.

Hi @dnutan, Hi @Denis_Pollini

I use Windows, logged in as Domain Admin.
Just so permissions are retained.
Explorer will stop anywhere where issues occur, so I used TotalCMD, which offers to sync to folders with subfolders. That doesn’t block, and can resume.
TotalCMD can run in Demo mode (Free) and is not timebombed.

It WILL take longer than with rsync, but I have correct Windows permissions!

My 2 cents
Andy

Off-Topic (kinda):
Windows Explorer is not the most reliable (transfer/media interruptions, long paths limits (although w11 has some option to enable longer paths, maybe some other previous version also did)… )
No often using it but long time user of total commander.

1 Like

Hi @dnutan

Not really “Off-Topic”, considering the several issues Samba on NS8 has, especially when migrated.
A fresh Install has much less issues than a migrated AD in NS8.

Setting permissions in a migrated NS8 samba is not really working as expected.
Shares will not have excutive permissions, so Acrobat and others will fail with PDFs and other files.
Group shares will allow only the owner to modify files, a behavour not seen in any Linux NAS running Samba or on Windows servers.
And all commercial / open source Linux NAS run WSDD correctly, NS8 still does not have this!

I am also a longtime licensed user of TotalCMD…
(And also midnite commander, mc). :slight_smile:

As you, I don’t use TotalCMD very much nowadays, but it’s a tool I keep handy.

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi @Andy_Wismer @dnutan
I’m syncing file and folder with totalcmd
Thanks for the advice :wink:

2 Likes

Hi guys, the functionality for enable recycle bin on shared folder has been removed on ns8? i don’t see anymore.

There’s another post here about that from a bit ago, I remember something about having to enable it at the cli, you’ll need to search.

Not available by default on NS8 ([WIP] NS7 vs NS8 Feature Comparison), but can be enabled from command line: check Recycle Bin Samba NS8 - #4 by mrmarkuz

Ok and for enable auditing?

Actually the procedure now working, i’m test it now

Anyway i think that these two features “Recycle Bin” and “Auditing” are very useful and i think add these directly on the GUI like before on NS7 is very useful.

3 Likes