Piler Mailarchiv

Good Morning Experts,

is it possible to integrate Piler Mailarchive into Nethserver?

https://www.mailpiler.org/wiki/start

Regards

Uwe

1 Like

@transocean

Hi

Looks interesting - and would be a good addition to Neth!

From reading it, it should be possible. (Requirements et al.).

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi Andy,

I also think this is a good solution. And also a good replacement for Mailstore. If this works, I can finally take my last Windows server out of service. Maybe @mrmarkuz or @stephdl will take care of it and integrate it into Nethserver.

Uwe

3 Likes

Interesting but this is probably against some laws reading the GDPR note even if I understand the need of a company to store and retrieve emails.

To be fully honest, this application receives all emails sent by and to your users and write them to a mysql database to be used later.

we are watching you :smiley:

Thinking on it it is not simple to integrate it

rspamd must clean first the email
getmail must be aware or not conflict
pop3scan must be aware or not conflict
imapsync must be aware or not conflict
at the end of all of this, then postfix must use a transport on 25 or 587 to send the emails to piler

but I think it is playable

1 Like

Okay, this is what I wanted to read. :grinning:

1 Like

There was some interest on having an Email archiving solution
Related:
Immutable mail that cant be deleted
Can NethServer be used to send messages to external email addresses?

3 Likes

still one billion things to do

1 Like

Some notes and pitfalls to install it, not sure it will become an official module for some reasons

• The upgrade path is a nightmare of mysqldb : https://www.mailpiler.org/wiki/current:upgrade
  • Piler is smtp server itself it cannot be installed with a postfix server, piler must use the default smtp port, you need to make a Bcc inside your email server to send all emails to Piler, else you use pilerimport to read an imap account on your server.
  • Sphinx is needed, V2 is supported, but now it is V3.3 and only binaries are provided, no rpm/deb for linux. I think it could be hard, when you start with a version all the sphinx indexes must be built again with a version change: https://www.mailpiler.org/wiki/current:sphinx3
  • rh-php73-php-fpm is needed with a virtualhost : nethserver-rh-php73-php-fpm
  • xlhtml need to be compiled or installed from the lux repository : http://repo.iotti.biz/CentOS/7/x86_64/xlhtml-0.5-19.el7.lux.x86_64.rpm
  • we need a mysql database nethserver-mysql
  • some optional rpms must be installed along : catdoc poppler poppler-utils unrtf tnef memcached libpst libzip tre
  • The rpm of piler itself is not compatible with centos7 it expects that a group php-fpm exists to execute a post-install scrip : groupadd php-fpm

It is a software a bit tricky :expressionless: however there is not much alternative except mailArchiva but it is a paid software

Other idea could be to use it inside a docker container

3 Likes

@stephdl

I think the effort that has to be made is too high. So it is probably better to install Mailstore as a server on a normal Windows PC.

Regards…

Uwe

BIP BIP BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPP

steph has just passed away

2 Likes

@stephdl

At least a Kernel Dump… :slight_smile:

Mes deux centimes
Andy

1 Like

The cons became a pro we need a separated instance of email server, then we have less chances to breack something :wink:

Hä?? Why?

1 Like

I have some concerns with Microsoft

Okay,

I understand that. Me too, meanwhile. That’s why I’m looking for a suitable replacement for four Windows servers (two virtual and two on real metal) and six clients. As a replacement for my old MS SBS server I use Nethserver. And I am enthusiastic. For the clients I think of Linux Mint or Windows Fx. AD can do this without any major changes to the system and looks almost like Windows 10, which makes my wife happy.

1 Like

Hello guys, I’m the maintainer of the piler project. I’ve just found this topic about piler and nethserver, and decided to help you with the integration. If there’s still interest in the topic, let me know.

11 Likes

I tested it sometimes ago…not so long, I am too a developer in NethServer project, I would love to share with you on this topic.

1 Like

IMVHO it is a lot of interest.

3 Likes

Great. However, I’m completely new to nethserver, so please guide me what to do, what the first steps would be. Piler is pretty flexible, and should be able to run in most environments, even in a docker container.

1 Like