Personal Financial Manager Software (like Quicken, MS-Money)

Hello Everyone

Anyone interested in a collection of usable Personal Financial Managers (eg Quicken, MS-Money)?

Looking to replace what I was using the past 10 years - sadly, the developer passed away young with only 38 years old after fighting cancer… :frowning:
The company was bought over, the software muted to a pay per year leaseware with in-app purchases. A cost increase of + 500% for the first year!

My criteria are a bit stiff, the app should run on the following:

• Mac
  • Linux
  • Windows
  • iOS
  • Android

No cloud usage if possible, local synching.
Should be able to sync bank accounts online (With Swiss banks!).
Multiple Language and Currency support.
API would be nice.

So far, I found Moneydance.

This seems to fulfil my requirements.
Looks good, is quite fast, covers all required platforms…
Very fair license: Buy once, and use for your family on ALL devices! (49.99 USD)

I’m in the process of detailed testing, but I thought I’d inquire here in our community if anyone has experiences with such software (or this Moneydance…) and would like to share experiences…

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi Andy,

I use the Starmoney software in the Business version to manage my Swiss bank accounts :grinning:. It also runs under Linux in a roundabout way.

Regards…

Uwe

Hi Uwe

Just had a look at the software / features. Quite nice, for the personal version (For Business i use an ERP…) there are iOS and Android Apps available.

But due to the fact I have no windows PC at home (Only Mac and Linux), the only option I’d have would be to run it in a VM (eg a Win10 with TSPlus showing only that App) and use RDP from Mac and Linux.

You’re satisfied with the software (Updates, stability, etc.?).

Thanks for the feedback.

My 2 cents
Andy

Yes, I am very satisfied with the software. The possibilities for managing finances are almost limitless. Up until now, every update has been stable.

1 Like

It just occurred to me that it might be a challenge for stephdl to write a pure banking software that can be used on NS.

Why? He already integrated Dolibarr, which includes almost everything, is a full blown ERP in itself… :slight_smile:

@stephdl could actually say:

Been there, done that, even got the T-shirt… :slight_smile:

I’m personally in the process of switching to Dolibarr for my Business uses, replacing my more than 10 year old software… Specifically it can’t have all german integrations needed (Elster?), but it has very numerous plug-ins, quite a lot are free and quite usable…

My 2 cents
Andy

I had forgotten, there is still Dollibar. I had installed that once on my NS. But was too risky for me, because my NS mail server, Mattermost and Nextcloud run as services that are accessible from the WWW.

There’s always the web-based Firefly III that can be self-hosted. I haven’t installed it on Neth, but it was pretty straightforward to put in a FreeNAS jail:

2 Likes

I prefer MoneyMoney

Important for me: HBCI-Support.
The german developer Support is great.

1 Like

@capote

Does MoneyMoney have any Apps for iOS?

no. I don’t like to use a banking app on my iPhone.

No, but on my Home-Tablett… :slight_smile:
(That never leaves home)

For iOS I tried Banking4.
Was really good.

1 Like

That looks more like what I’m looking for… :slight_smile:

default is dolibarr is only accessible on the local network by a property

3 Likes

Many of those Accounting packages are a bit dated looking and only work on one pc. I’d look at getting Stephdl to setup a one click install for Akaunting or Invoice Ninja. Both are web based so you can access them across the web on any OS, and you can purchase add-ons for additional functionality.

I’m trying to get mine working on a docker image through Portainer, but I don’t know where I have to place the Dockerfile to use it in the portainer stack :confused:

@0ctatr0n

Hi

Akaunting looks more like Business software, and for a “Free” Software, just getting basics is quite expensive…

Invoice Ninja is also Business software, and is very limited with only 100 clients and 4 templates…
If that’s not enough, this free software is only available as a monthly Pay-plan! Not on my server!

Both of these don’t look as good as Dolibarr, nor can they compare by price / features.
Dolibarr is what I’m using for business, and I’m quite satisfied with that.

But as said, I’m looking for a Personal Finances Manager, and my 2 favs so far are Moneydance and Banking4… An important criteria for me is the ability to work Offline, and several different OS, and synching the data.

My 2 cents
Andy

I Andy, I checked it in short. MoneyMoney is the the better one. Esp. the online banking functionality (FinTS/HBCI-Standard) is more useful. Perhaps the usability in general.

My 100 ct :slight_smile:
Marko

And it interacts with…

i consider Receipes to be particularly interesting

The Website is not available in english, it seems. Is the App multilingual? Hidden, but english yes!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-30 um 09.04.58

Banking seems OK for Germany, but ONLY for Germany… :frowning:
At least it has Paypal support…

Moneydance’s API is compatible with Swiss Banks.

A lot of german financial programs only support german financial standards, and are quite unusable in Austria snd Switzerland, the “other” german speaking countries. Understandable, considering german standards and law. Sure, both are smaller as a market, but at least Switzerland and Swiss in general are prepared to pay a premium for good stuff…

Swiss Banks, at least Credit Suiss does provide full PDF documentation of the several supported interfaces. Actually, MoneyMoney could do it, but they didn’t bother to check it out!

Looks good for Mac, but no Apps for iPhone / iPad (I don’t use Android, so that’s not critical), and, less important, but nice to have would be Linux and Windows support.

I’m not specifically looking for a banking app, but it has to be able to handle banking, especially for swiss banks. (I live in Switzerland, and use swiss banks).
But it also has to be able to handle direct entering of data from iPhone or iPad when “En Route” without Macbook…

Less limited:

My 2 cents
Andy

Agree that it really isn’t what you’re looking for, but I don’t believe that limit applies when you self-host.