NS8 - SOGo continued?

This is our target right now and I’m very confident we will have it well before CentOS EOL.
With the stable, we are going to also release the migration tool for NS7.

Incidentally, the preference here is clearly on using SOGo instead of WebTop.

@stephdl already has some plans for it. :smiley:

Thank you for the hopeful information! So that’s my Easter surprise now. I wish everyone a happy Easter!

this is why the node and cluster environment is not based on kubernetes, the common idea at the time to start the project was to say it is too hard to take it in hand. The idea of something simple, of course with a learning curve, is the way how we code the product.

Just be confident.

6 Likes

I am… :wink:

1 Like

So I love NS8 everything I need works - great job!

The only thing I’m missing at the moment = SOGo

All attempts with Webtop fail because of the acceptance of the family!
Can we expect a timely implementation?

It would be great if you had a time horizon.

Best regards
Gerald

2 Likes

I hope for the stable version of NS8 you will have SOGo, I have plenty other jobs, like debian12 and crowdsec, but when time will be available then we will have SOGo

I use SOGo at home even if I know that a lot of people love to use webtop

3 Likes

We need to give priority to webtop but SOGo will added to the software center as well, don’t worry.

We needed it in order to replace an existing module

I understand take a look at my anwser above

5 Likes

Hello friends!

NS8 is slowly getting really good, but I’m still missing one of the most important components:

SOGo

How far along are the plans?
I can’t get my family interested in WebTop, sorry - there is no acceptance.

We are about to publish :slight_smile:

Greetings

Gerald

2 Likes

If SOGo is available as podman container, you can still tweak it around NS8 environment.

I have a green light to start to work on it, for now priority is low but when spare time is here, I will work on it

8 Likes

looking to find a container for SOGo, we love sogo at NethServer but SOGo is not much loved by packagers of container :frowning:

looking few hours today and I must admit that I have been not much so happy

• tried to compile from source, I succeed but the size of the image is around 1,5 GB (not compressed).
    I would love to be close of @davidep when I will announce that :stuck_out_tongue:

• tried to install from a private repository, I succeed but I am not sure we can trust him on the long run or in the quality of its rpm, and the size of the image is about 750MB: Index of /linux/debian

• I tried with default sogo on ubuntu, but with 22.04 it is sogo 5.5.x, maybe we could try with ubuntu 23.10 but we will have upgrades only each 6 month :stuck_out_tongue:

• I tried the nightly build of sogo, but I am not a big fan, I want stable code like I do for NS7

Each of this above was not good containers, huge, heavy, without output logs to stdout/stderr

Well I was not happy

https://hub.docker.com/search?q=sogo&sort=updated_at&order=desc

Until I found …

based on archLinux, why, because they have the last package in their repository so we could expect stable code and tests among a community, we have stderr/stdout, we expose only 20000 for sogo and 20001 for apache, I think it is a nice container…I think we could start something on it…instead you have another idea

https://hub.docker.com/r/frederickzh/archlinux-sogo

3 Likes

whoosh, its the hunting for when wanting to create a new module, Whoosh.

i can only imagine for the packages without any images

Well if the image size you build is tiny there is not much issue but I am concerned that if the size is huge then you have to think how to host it

SOGo wiil be long. I switched to another tasks. Now the db and the webapp are up but I must fight with ldap authentication

success to authenticate with active directory, failure with openldap

for now the configuration is not templated

4 Likes

finally we have our image on dockerhub, I forked a conatiner image and I pushed the change I need to our build

but but need to design it, for now it is a bundle, of course the database is in another container

• pod: sogo
  • container mysql:mariadb-app
  • container sogo: sogo-app

it runs

• memcached (could be in another container)
  • apache for reverse proxy (could be also another container)
  • cron (we need it on localhost I think)
  • sogo

for now I hosted it on dockerhub but I am not sure if we can host it on ghcr.io. BTW could we have a NethServer organisation to host container on docker hub, did you think on it @davidep

4 Likes

for now I do not know if I will expose a complicated UI or document how to modify the ~/config/state/environment and restart the sogo service

of course we are still at the early stage of SOGo

6 Likes

Well Done @stephdl at this pace we might acheive Modules Parity with NS7 before release…

ready for review

Migration not done, we should do it a the next iteration

3 Likes

Great, thank you!
How can this be tried out?

on a NS8

install the LDAP, either samba or openldap, create users
install mail server, configure it
install SOGo: add-module ghcr.io/nethserver/sogo:gotobeta

once SOGo installed, configure a vhost (sogo.domain.com), link it to the mail server and choose what mail domain you want to use for all users (domain.com), then link it to the LDAP Domain you want to use to authenticate your users and use the simple form without domain part: user

go to sogo.domain.com

2 Likes