NS8 - SOGo continued?

Hi, will SOGo to be continued in NS8 or is Webtop the only groupware in the future ?

I know that dev team prefer Webtop, but what to do with actual working SOGo installations ?

Better to know yet with enough preparation time, if it’s inevitable to change the things.

Still not satisfied with Webtop, hope it will be improved ongoing, specially creating tasks from emails and a darker theme.

Best wishes
Mario

1 Like

I might hope so, for choice is a good thing.

https://hub.docker.com/search?q=sogo&sort=updated_at&order=desc

it might be possible, either by forking the work of a developer and maintaining it ourself or by following a container inside the docker hub.

As a matter of fact we just have to migrate the mysql database where it is stored calendar and address book, then install SOGo on NS8. Obviously it is cheaper to say it than to do it but I do not know why it could not be done.

As ever I am available to help

3 Likes

My fault, i forget completely about the different structure of NS8 as container orchestrator.
So it could never work / continue the old way, but SOGo has to be dockerized like Weptop and all the other offered applications will be. As far as I didn’t see any hint of SOGo in the NS8 roadmap, I assume that there will not be any one-click SOGo container install in the NS8 release. So I think I have to do my homeworks and learn more about the new concept of NS8 an how the containers communicate to each other, as i.e. SOGo has to be aware of the LDAP and Mail database. Or simply take a deaper look at Webtop :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes containers work a bit differently than rpm, but the good new now is that we have enough code example done to help the development of new modules. For example, roundcubemail could be a good example to copy in order to start something. Obviously you will have some specific stuffs to SOGo, but the backend to discover the mail server inside the cluster will be the same.

1 Like

Good news, no clear line on the ETA of ns8-sogo because I would like to release ns8-crowdsec first, but we have a green light to SOGo

5 Likes

CrowdSec? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

https://docs.crowdsec.net/docs/intro

2 Likes

I remember the name of the project. I’d only put on a such lower priority this package.
I’d also love to know if Nethesis is becoming a commercial partner for Crowdsec but I think that only time will tell.

no idea, my quest is coding

1 Like

Fair and square… You like more coffee or tea as coding supplement?
:coffee: :teapot:

1 Like

SoGo in NS8 would be mandatory for me

3 Likes

This is really good news.
I’ll trust in you @stephdl, you can do it for us.
So there is nothing wrong installing a new NS7 with SOGo now again ?
Thank you so much.

3 Likes

I am currently asking myself this question. I would like to set up a server for various services for a club close to me and would like to use Nethserver again for this.

However, I’m very unsure at the moment whether I should still do this given CentOS 7’s “expiry date”.

I appreciate the dedication and skills of the developers, but is it realistic to get a stable NS8 (with migration option) by the CentOS 7 expiration date?

Incidentally, the preference here is clearly on using SOGo instead of WebTop.

@yummiweb due to my concerns about system overhead of application server temporarily named NS8 and due to the too close end of NS7, I stopped consider using products of this project for the next 18 months; NS8 will be green and I don’t like to play early adopter outside the “tinker time”, if something has go live, it needs to be reliable enough.

This kind of project (not specifically NethServer, which works really good for me, in “7” flavour) are quite falling apart (look for clearOS for another example), crushed between a lot of cloud applications saled as service, increased power costs, ubiquity of the use mandatory as default (computer, tablets, mobile, APIs connections) and… “internet is not more an option”, i can understand why.
However.

If the environment you’re building is gonna consider NS7 as experience for… understand what they need and refine awareness and use of a service toolbox… Go for it. Really. Most of the things built on nethservers work really good. Mandatory not have IPv6 internet connection, or will be a quite hard bite to bite make the server available on internet.

Hello @yummiweb,

the problem with the expiration date is with every OS. For example, Windows 10, which will also go to the eternal hunting grounds in the course of 2025. I have complete trust in the developers of NS 8. After all, they were the ones who brought me away from various Windows Server operating systems to Nethserver with their work. However, I am currently skeptical about the handling of the new NS 8. If it is not as easy as NS 7, that would be a minus point.

Regards and a happy Eastertime…

Uwe

This is our target right now and I’m very confident we will have it well before CentOS EOL.
With the stable, we are going to also release the migration tool for NS7.

Incidentally, the preference here is clearly on using SOGo instead of WebTop.

@stephdl already has some plans for it. :smiley:

Thank you for the hopeful information! So that’s my Easter surprise now. I wish everyone a happy Easter!

this is why the node and cluster environment is not based on kubernetes, the common idea at the time to start the project was to say it is too hard to take it in hand. The idea of something simple, of course with a learning curve, is the way how we code the product.

Just be confident.

6 Likes

I am… :wink:

1 Like