NS8 growing data directories path

Which is a different choice than NS7.
If possible, and when is comfortable to you, would you try to illustrate the community why?

1 Like

Home dirs in ns7 are under /var/lib/nethserver/home/, with the aim of keeping growing data under /var/lib/nethserver. By time some solutions to mount them under /home were discussed in this forum.

In NS8 no decision has be taken yet on this point. We can discuss what is the best choice for them. By now the distro defaults are applied. The most important thing to know is the path where we store growing data, which in turn resolves to where Podman stores volumes data.

That path is relative to the module home directory for “rootless” modules, and relative to /var/lib/containers/storage/volumes (see the output of podman system info) for rootfull containers.

What do we expect from ns8?

• Preserving the underlying distro defaults or configuring Podman to write data under a single path?
  • Is this decision important for virtual machines?
  • Is it relevant to bare metal installations only?

Some past discussions (more to find…)

2 Likes

@davidep i think that an higher-level question has to be made.
NS8 still pretends to be OS or knows that is application server?
NS8 should overwrite the underlying OS partitioning scheme or should obey to it?
NS8 is targeted to newbies or experienced sysadmins?

If most of the answers are first ones, the answer is one partition to rule'em all, one directory to contain them all. For bare metal and for virtual environments might be an hassle for some installation/upgrade cases but fewer one than multiple mountpoints/partitions.
If most the ansewers are for the latter, NS8 should make is own business and allow the sysadmin to design partition schema and mountpoint as desired; once established the ground rules, NS8 “drones” will receive the containers entitled to be there.

3 Likes

hello Pike

that was my core question in our last discussion (ending with hardware HPT630/730/740)
How did the container gets IPs, FQDN, and the Container ther diskspaces?

both are totaly different ton NS7

The only connection between NS7 and NS8 is the dev team. They should have different commercial names for the difference between them.

On that topic, I wrote what I thought was correct for the hardware you reported at first post (HP thin client t730, now seems redacted). Anyone can do any test wants, other people support or interest is optional and subject to personal opinion.

1 Like

Application server, but the line can be very thin.

I’d say obey.

Newbies, as NS7.

I’d go with the same partition, if you have enough space: it’s easier to maintain.
Still, this is a choice of the sysadmin.

Take also a look to https://nethserver.github.io/ns8-core/best_pratices/#adding-more-disk-space (may this can help also @Axel)

@giacomo create a viable and good set of ground rules good for most of case is a tough exercise, however…
NS8 currently acts like a podman tyrant. So when kernel read NS request about changing priorities of threads, network configuration, starting and stopping services outside podman or last but not least change to the partition scheme, security dictates the correct answer, which is “yeah, sure, go to hell”.

In my personal opinion the line might be thin but is strong: create a glorified container orchestrator is a formal abdication from system administration; the guests obey to the host, not the other way around.

Maybe dev team and project lead will find the good enough recipe to conciliate goals, facts, security and system architecture, but here from the crowd seems like aming at the needle eye with some sidewinder missile.

There is no “good enough” recipe for all cases. In NS7 our default partition scheme from the ISO installer is not used sometimes. There is an option in the ISO installer to start with default CentOS installing options, with manual partitioning.

What we need for NS8 is just a simple default: one partition is the best one, I guess everybody agrees with that! One partition is good for both virtual and bare metal environments, provided they have a way to enlarge the root filesystem when needed (LVM or similar).

For people that need/likes more partitions we can document how to fit NS8 requirements.

As modules are users in NS8, it is possible to select their default home directory path by changing the line HOME=/home in /etc/default/useradd.

For instance, to obtain a single growing partition mounted under /var, it could be set:

HOME=/var/home

Who wants to try it?