Nextcloud 25: HUB3 (A Major milestone release)

Nextcloud 25 is around the corner and the official release announcement has already been made.
Announcing Nextcloud Hub 3 - Brand New Design and Photos 2.0 with Editor and AI - Nextcloud

its interesting that they announced before the full release version, but well, now this is an upgrade. if they keep on making these kinds of upgrades every half year, makes alot of sense for major updates. they seem to have done a good job on usability improvements and performance tweaks.

Looking forward to the final release, currently still RC.

While i am not sure if this upgrade would make it to Nethserver7 it will definitely be a worthy companion for Nethserver8, seeing as with the pace of the development.

If this does make it to NS8 please consider implementing or adding High performance backend for files and talk, would really be great.

More the releases, more i see a zero and a dot leadingā€¦
0.25 instead of 25.

1 Like

We will probably integrate it in NS7, but for sure we are going to wait at least 2-3 minor releases.

1 Like

I already seen that kind of approach, donā€™t remember where or when or by whoā€¦

they have finally released this version 6 days ago, Release v25.0.0 Ā· nextcloud/server (github.com)

1 Like

In relation to this,
i came accross this docker composition for the High perfocmance backend server for nextcloud here: Nextcloud HPB ALL-in-ONE Docker - High Performance Backend Stack (malaty.net)

i also think the one for talk only is also available for docker installation
packaging / Nextcloud Talk High Performance Back-end Ā· GitLab

2 Likes

Nextcloud 25.01 Release 9 Days Ago

Next version 25.02 slated for maybe December 1st

Nextcloud 25.02 has been release. Release v25.0.2 Ā· nextcloud/server (github.com)

Maybe we could get a fantastic Christmas Present by having the new version added into nextcloud.

the major imporvements are wonderful things to have, especially the perfomance ones.

@giacomo is this still feasible at the moment?

Hi@oneitonitram,

Iā€™m happy to do without a Christmas present that may spoil my festive rest because it may not work properly and then I have to work again.

Merry Christmasā€¦ :smiley:

Uwe

1 Like

25.0.0 18 october
25.0.1 3 november
25.0.2 8 december

Iā€™d wait for 25.0.3 at least for what itā€™s worth. As Nethserver perspective, itā€™s a major release from 24.0.x so starting with a major upgrade might not be the best ā€œgoā€ at January.

@oneitonitram this is your Christmas present: Nextcloud 25.0.2 Ā· Issue #6725 Ā· NethServer/dev Ā· GitHub

Try and report any problem. I also appreciate some tests with an Active Directory as user account provider!

Maybe @transocean and @pike are right and we could release in the new year.
But letā€™s test it a bit and letā€™s see how it goes!

2 Likes

Hi@giacomo

I have updated to NC 25.03 on a test machine. Looks good so far and works. However, the updater shows me that a new version is available. To 24.0.8, which is no longer current. See picture below.

I think that just took care of itself.
After restarting the machine, the message disappeared after another five minutes.

Regardsā€¦

Uwe

wow, this is wonderful.

Now Christmas can come. :smiley: :christmas_island: :christmas_tree:

1 Like

I have updated 2 existing instances of nethserver.
One running Ldap, and another one running AD with SSo authentication. both work fine so far.

Been able to update the apps on the appstore.

there is a significantly visible perfomance improvement on one of the heavily tested instances.

will keep reporting more

Wonderful. I was just thinking it could be something cached from the server.

:metal:

@giacomo regarding PErfomance, will the nextcloud In theserver 8 have support and implementation for High Perfomance Backend for Nextcloud Talk and High Perfomance backend for Nextcloud FIles?

Iā€™m curious about the resource usage for the image recognition. Has anyone thatā€™s upgraded to 25 observed performance choke over larger, +48 hr timespans?
Iā€™d just like to have an idea if an install with many pics will grind to a halt 24, 48, 72 hours after upgrade.
A discussion about the Recognize app and its workflow;

Finally, the mail app in nextcloud is useable in this new update, and it automatically configures without issues.