NethServer-SavaPage module

Hi @rijkr
Great to see the work on SavaPage is an ongoing effort. I am sure we will update the nethserver-savapage module (if not already done) asap.
Thanks again for this great project and the help you gave us to make it possible to integrate SavaPage in NethServer.

I absolutely love to option to delegate parts of the admin interface… great option!

2 Likes

Thanks @rijkr for the update! It works as expected.

You’re right. Here is a first testing package:

yum install http://packages.nethserver.org/nethserver/7.4.1708/nethforge-testing/x86_64/Packages/nethserver-savapage-0.0.1-8.3.g5f211ef.ns7.x86_64.rpm

To make the update work you have to delete a file for the reinstallation of savapage:

rm /opt/savapage/server/bin/linux-x64/savapage-db

If you deleted the file after the update you have to execute:

signal-event nethserver-savapage-update

to update savapage.

I have to think about a better update mechanism/packaging.

3 Likes

Thanks @mrmarkuz for your efforts! I wonder, what is the roadmap after nethforge-testing? Will SavaPage finally be nethforge-stable, be part of a NethServer release, and have an entry in the Administrator Manual?

Yes, that’s the goal.

@mrmarkuz Can you give an estimate timeline of moving nethserver-savapage to nethforge repository?
btw, I had a conv with @rijkr and he assured (again) that if you need any support in code for functionality, don’t hesitate to ask!
It would be great if we can create the win-win situation that SavaPage is available from NethGUI for NethServer users and NethServer will be promoted as the 1-click-install solution for SavaPage users.

I’d like to finish it in the next quarter:

2 Likes

Great!

BTW, the look-and-feel of SavaPage can be customized with graphics, css and html inject snippets. See the Login and About dialog at demo.savapage.org for an example. If you want to add some NethServer pizazz to the SavaPage module, I can help create the custom files. In that case, screen-shots of existing NethServer apps are helpful as color scheme example, as well as links to logos and candidate background images.

2 Likes

Savapage update to version 1.1.0-rc.

yum install --enablerepo=nethforge-testing nethserver-savapage

grafik

4 Likes

ohhh thanks for updating the module. I’d like to spotlight the project more.

2 Likes

Agreed on highlighting this module. I would love to see it in the default repos of NethServer, or maybe even better, create a NEW category in Softwarecenter for education and put it there, togeter with Moodle module and probably several other modules that apply for educational environments.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s possibile out of NethForge. What do you think @davidep ?

Getting it into Softwarecenter would be the biggest progress. But (IMO) ideally there would be a new category called education. (you know I am biased on this… :wink: )

@robb why savapage should be part of educational section?
Accounting prints could be useful also in corporation enviroment.

2 Likes

I agree that it it can be very useful in corporate environments, but IMO it excels in educational environments where often users need to pay on a per print basis. (students on universities etc…)

I cannot add printer in always disconnected we use AP connection thru them.printer

Are your printers in the green network?

Port 465 is for SMTPS, is that the right port?

SavaPage is a generic infrastructural solution, and not tied to education (as in “educational content”). I agree, most educational organizations are looking for a Print Management solution, but also many business organizations do. SavaPage has several work-flows, including Job Ticketing, that any organization can profit from. And, currently a Copy Shop module is in the works.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! Glad to see a business oriented use case as well

1 Like

@mrmarkuz I’m happy to announce the release of SavaPage Open Print Portal 1.1.0. This release is a major step forward for all community members.

A lot of new features, changes and fixes have been implemented. To name a few:

• SNMP toner information is shown in the proxy printer list.
  • An Atom Feed Service for administrators showing run-time status, statistics, errors and warnings of the past weekday.
  • Proxy Printed PDF documents can be stored and retrieved.
  • Invalid PDF files are repaired during Web Print.
  • PGP/MIME email signing and encryption.
  • An OpenPGP Service to verify authenticity and integrity of PDF documents.

See the Release Notes for the complete list of new features and issues solved. Package and Manuals can be found at the SavaPage Community Wiki.

Kind regards,
Rijk Ravestein, Community Manager

5 Likes

That’s a great news! I am so happy that that the project is growing :smiley: