Nethserver groups are not showing up in Nextcloud

NethServer release 7.7.1908 (final)
Nextcloud 18.0.3 (latest)

Hello Forum and @support_team

I’ve installed Nextcloud on my Nethserver and I’ve found that groups in Nextcloud are not showing up? I thought I had to create a group in Nethserver and add my users to the group from Nethserver. In the past this allowed me to view the groups in Nextcloud and I could see the users in each group on Nextcloud. This also allowed me to select a quota for groups.

But today when I created a new group in Nethserver, the new group did not show up on my Nextcloud? Did something change? How should groups be created for Nextcloud?

Thank you.

I don’t have nextcloud installed yet, but you can try to login as admin and have a look at LDAP/AD integration settings. Have a look to the answers of @dnutan at the following thread please.

It’s not the same problem but perhaps an idea for a solution.

1 Like

Thank you @m.traeumner for you reply. But my issue isn’t related to the link you’ve provided (granted you did say it’s not the same problem :slight_smile: ).

What I’ll need confirmed from Nethserver support @support_team is how are groups in Nextcloud managed when Nextcloud is installed through Nethserver? In my office I need to create groups for my Nextcloud users based on user role. What I’ve confirmed is that when I create a new client or user in Nethserver this new client shows up in my Nextcloud. But when I create a new group in Nethserver, this new group DOES NOT show up in my Nextcloud?

Why wouldn’t new groups in Nethserver show up in Nextcloud? Is there a reason for this design or is something possibly not working properly between my Nethserver and Nextcloud…and again to reiterate my Nextcloud is installed and running on my Nethserver as an application.

Thank you.

@greavette

Hi

Groups DO show up in NextCloud, but I edit the LDAP/AD properties for this, as I do not want ALL groups in NethServer showing up in Nextcloud. I don’t need most of the samba internal groups in Nextcloud, for example, it’s just irritating…

The groups chosen DO show up eg in sharing inside Nextcloud…

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Hello @Andy_Wismer and thanks very much for this very helpful reply!

Now that I’m looking in my ldap settings on my Nextcloud and looked in the dropdown for Groups I can see the new group I created on my Nethserver. But when I want to confirm a user on Nextcloud is in the group I assigned them in Nethserver I can’t see any groups in my Users on Nextcloud. This also means that when in Nextcloud and want I share a file or folder with a group I created in Nethserver I can’t see that group in my Nextcloud to share with them. This seems to be a big gap!

But your screenshot seems to suggest that I can pick the groups I want to see in Nextcloud. I agree with you that I don’t want to see all groups in my Nextcloud. I would want to pick the groups that are important to see in Nextcloud. How do I, from the Nextcloud LDAP settings select the groups I want my Nextcloud to see? How did you get that side by side menu with the arrows to move groups from left to right? I’ve tried Advanced and Expert and I don’t see what you see?

Thank you.

@greavette

Hi

I’m using NethServer’s AD, not LDAP.

My settings are as follows:

1. All users allowed to use Nextcloud are members of the group nextcloud-users.
  2. The settings inside of Nextcloud are as follows: (No advanced or expert, but I’ve used both in the past).

These screenshots should help you get up to speed in your Nextcloud/NethServer environment! :slight_smile:

These show all 4 screens of the LDAP/AD integration for Nextcloud/NethServer.

And - yes, I use the left / right arrows to add the groups I want shown… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Hi @Andy_Wismer, I use Nethserver’s AD as well. In Nextcloud the LDAP/AD module was already present when I installed Nextcloud when I installed Nextcloud as an App in Nethserver.

The screenshots you sent me are different than my Nextcloud LDAP/AD screens? I don’t see section on my Groups tab whereby I can use left and right arrows? How did you get this added?

I feel like there is something I need to add somewhere that is missing? Something in my Nethserver or my Nextcloud is missing perhaps.

Here are the screens I see in my Nextcloud LDAP/ AD Integration tabs:

Thank you.

@greavette

Hi

I didn’t change anything. I’m actually running about 20 NethServers for different clients, all at their locations. And all the settings for NextCloud have looked identical - and still do. Some of these servers are running since 3-4 years now, but all are running the latest 7.7 version.

As you, the LDAP Module was already there - and filled out with the correct attributes for the AD.
I first opened Nextcloud AFTER setting up the AD account provider, using the local nextcloud admin (With the PW Nethesis,1234), and using this user, I set up the LDAP/AD according to my requirements.
After that, I made the nethserver admin also a nextcloud admin, using the nextcloud admin. Then I changed that users password, and let it rest aside (until and IF it’s ever needed).

Maybe this helps…
Andy

How did you set up your NethServer?

PS: Maybe you need to set a group like my nextcloud-users, and then actually choose a group…

This needs to be done as the nextcloud admin, NOT the AD admin of Nethserver!

1 Like

Now this is interesting. I have another test Netherver I stood up a few years back (it’s fully updated to most recent Nethserver version). On this Nethserver I installed Nextcloud. When I look at the LDAP settings on Nextcloud on that test server I do see what your screenshots show with a left and right pane to move between groups to be seen.

This Nethserver that I showed you screenshots of is a newly built Nethserver with Nextcloud installed on it. I just stood up this new Nethserver in early March. On this new Nethserver with Nextcloud installed my LDAP screenshots are different? I don’t know what is different on this new Nethserver? I installed a domain on it so I can use this as my new domain controller in our office (that was my reason for building a new Nethserver).

It looks like you did some configuration on your Nethserver-Nextcloud where you logged in with the Nextcloud Admin (using password Nethesis,1234) and you “setup” your LDAP/AD according to your requirements? I didn’t know I had to “setup” my LDAP on my nextcloud as I thought it was already connected to my Nethserver? How did you go about making the Nethserver Admin an admin on your nextcloud? maybe this is the piece I’m missing in my setup.

@greavette

Maybe a case of missing (admin) permissions… :slight_smile:

Note: NEVER set the local nextcloud admin to have the same password as your NethServer AD admin - you can never again log in as local administrator, as only the passwords differ…

Andy

2 Likes

Good points here @Andy_Wismer. I stupidly did change my Nextcloud Admin password to be the same as my Nethserver Admin password. Yikes! I’m also thinking that I installed Nextcloud (through Nethserver) prior to adding the domain function to my my Nethserver. At this point should I remove Nextcloud from my Nethserver and then re-install it again fresh? Is that even possible?

Thank you.

@greavette

Uninstalling / Reinstalling Nextcloud is no problem, but:

You could reset the local admin Password using eg PHPMyAdmin (NethServer -> Modules).

You’d need to do look up the encrypted password on your other server (if still available!) and replicate that encrypted password using PHPMyAdmin on the not working primary server.

-> That would mean installing phpmyadmin (module!) on both nethservers…

Still less work than removing and reinstalling. And even then you might end up with a screwed database entry from before…

Once you can log in as local admin, just follow the screenshots above… :slight_smile:

Andy

1 Like

About changing the nextcloud admin password, there’s a tip in the wiki:

sudo -u apache scl enable rh-php72 -- php -dmemory_limit=512M /usr/share/nextcloud/occ user:resetpassword admin
3 Likes

Thank you @dnutan, I didn’t know I could reset the admin password? Password has now been reset. :slight_smile:

also can you comment on my new install of Nethserver/Nextcloud and why I don’t see groups showing up? Do I need to use the Nextcloud Admin account to add in the Nethserver Admin account as an Admin on my Nextcloud?

Thank you.

Checked on a server with openLDAP and the groups created on NethServer side are there on Nextcloud (listed on Users page).

Checked on “recently” installed AD, and groups aren’t there (by default) next to Users (but seen in the list of “only from these groups”). Do not recall how was in the past but the group filter is the same from years ago.

Another think to check, if someone recalls it, is whether custom LDAP/AD settings on Nextcloud side survive an update (or signal-event nethserver-nextcloud-update). A forum search could bring the answer.

Neither did I.

1 Like

Sorry I don’t quite understand? Do I have a problem with my Nextcloud then if I can see new users created from my Nethserver on my Nextcloud but I can’t see new groups created in my Nethserver on my Nextcloud? Is this by design now because my older (but updated) Nethserver with Nextcloud is working properly with new users and groups showing up in my Nextcloud.

Thank you.

The testing update 18.0.4 solved the “missing AD groups” issue for me. Please test before applying in production environment as there may be another bug with smb shares but in my test it worked.

See also:

I can confirm that the changes survive an update.

5 Likes

Thanks very much @mrmarkuz for finding a possible root cause for this problem! I will look at testing this on a Test server first. My Nethserver is also my office domain server…does this Samba Share on Nextcloud 18.0.4 affect a domain running on Nethserver?

Thank you.