Nethserver future version 7

NethServer 7 is still in alpha. See Looking forward to NethServer 7 for more informations.
Everybody could test it and report problems, but I think it’s still too early to have a wide audience.

@GG_jr, we will try to keep version number aligned to CentOS, but we may change idea.

1 Like

Hi Filippo,

Thank you because you have taken into account my ideas.

My point of view is that NS can have major improvements faster than CentOS.
That mean evolution.

Gabriel

that means that we (the community) have to maintain all… and it’s, in one word, impossible.

Hello Stefano,

I don’t want to be misunderstood and don’t want minimize your huge work to make and maintain this project (You, the Community, the NS Team).

What I want to say is that the improvements to the NS are not related to CentOS versions: the new Dashboard, PPPoE module, the new Software Center and many others which you know better than me, the future Backup module and many future modules, or improvements to the actual modules.
All this may lead (not must lead) to a new version of the NS. But I think this is only the option of the Project Manager.

Kind regards,
Gabriel

That’s right we can add those improvements on a 6.7 version without the need to move on 7, but speaking about 7 it’s ok for me.

Just to summarize the current versioning rules:

• The NethServer version is the same of the base CentOS system. The hw compatibility recalled by @zamboni is a good reason.
  • Individual RPMs have their version numbers

See also

http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/latest/development_process.html#version-numbering-rules

Now that 6.7 has come out, we could immediately release a new NethServer 6.7 Beta ISO, based on CentOS 6.7 ISO. Then develop new features that will be included in the 6.7 Final ISO. What do you think?

Hi Davide,

Everything that is written above make sens.

I just told my view consistent with other reviews.
I think it is also an image perception.
Let me explain this.
As I said, to change an OS version takes a long time (4 years, maybe more). When I look for an app, first I see the version and maybe when the app was upgraded last time. I don’t see the packages version only if I am looking deeper.
Personal, I always look for docs (Admin Manual, User Manual, …). But the first impression is: The app is old! I’m looking for something else newer!

Maybe a link to

http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/latest/development_process.html#version-numbering-rules

added to

http://docs.nethserver.org/en/latest/

(Something like “About version numbering rules”)

is welcome.

Thank you for listening!

Kind regards,
Gbariel

Which app? Can you provide some examples?

Whaouh… It`s let me doubtful:
For a server ( and a gateway/firewall ) I want a rock solid (old) software.
For a bleeding edge software, perhaps Fedora is more approppriate…

I’ve tested and installed nethserver 7 and didn’t see anything that makes
the difference.

Whats the rush on the upgrade to 7?

I meant centos 7 instead of nethserver 7 :smiley:

Honestly, at this point I do not have examples but if I lose some time, I’ll definitely find (sure I met this situation in more than 20 years of experience). It was more a figure of speech.

A rhetorical question (because I’ve read all your posts):
Why do you use (or want to use) NethServer?
Because is “a rock solid (old) software” or because the project is based on a new concept, is open to new ideas from everybody and maybe will be one of the best free All in One product?

Can we have different opinions and still do this together? I think yes!

<"One more reason to do this: Because “Yes, we can”.
Jim / Obama>

Why I use Nethserver?

Because it’s CentOS based, a good old based.
Note that’s it’s my fist time with CentOS… I’m usually used Debian.
I went to Nethserver because there`s not a too good Debian support of my material ( HP Microserver Gen8).
I went to Nethserver because after trying ClearOS, It was my second choice.

Note, too, that Fedora was not an option for me…

But don`t misunderstand me, I think Nethserver must have a 7.1 version, based on the upstream CentOS 7.1.

2 Likes

Please Note: This will be the last regular release of the PHP 5.3 series. All users of PHP are encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.4 or PHP 5.5. The PHP 5.3 series will receive only security fixes for the next year.

Posted on php.net over 2 years ago.

I would argue that while a rock solid distro base is important for a production server… so are secure components…

you missed a point: RH backports all security fixes on its products during all the OS release support lifetime

RH is rock solid… and I advice you and many others here not to “read” the rpm’s version number only but to read their release notice too.

in another words: php 5.3 you find in NS is not plain vainlla php 5.3 coming from php.net

Yes, but.

What about other software that moves on? Like Drupal, ownCloud?
When they build on something, their own security related updates fall off as they eol their own support for versions that work with other underlying, older packages.

Obviously, one can run php 5.4 alongside 5.3, but, that’s certainly not supported by the underlying distro and who knows what breaks. We already saw what happened with oC 7.0.6, fortunately that wasn’t catastrophic especially as intergrated as oC is in NS, but…

my 2c: using on an wan exposed server a bleeding edge version of any kind of web app that needs the last release of $whatever is not a smart idea…

on NS, for example, WP works flawlessy… I don’t use joomla, but I read somewhere that it needs a newer version of php…

if you (generally speaking) need such a feature, a small, minimal virtual machine running only what needed is the solution… I’ll never install anything that could break my server just because my webmaster said it needs latest joomla version…

and, I repeat, generally speaking, “bleeding edge release” and “wan exposed machine” in the same sentence without a negation is not a good idea.

I get the impression your idea of bleeding edge is anything less than two years from its first release, because we’re talking about software like oC here.
It’s not like anyone in computing I’ve ever talked to would refer to openssl as bleeding anything, but they’d certainly refer to that code pile as a steaming something…

Ok, well I’ve got a pretty good idea now where this distro fits into my tool set for clients. Cool.

We’aren’t talking about apps but talking about the upstream CentOs 7.0 & 7.1, the “core”, the base of Nethserver.

I’ve used bleeding age about Fedora, not about CentOS :smile:

Centos 7 and 7.1 are out one year ago now… Can we hope it’s old and stable enought to think about a Nethserver 7.1 version?