NethServer as Additional Domain Controller 2021

https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=howto:add_ns7_samba_domain_controller_to_existing_active_directory

Has anyone tried this that can provide some feedback? I will def try this out lol :stuck_out_tongue: and try to write a “how to” for sure! :slight_smile:

AFAIK Nethserver interact with Microsoft Active Directory only via LDAP. Otherwise… only self-domain hosted via NSDC.

1 Like

Hi

AFAIK NSDC is fully compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2 AD.
You can connect via AD (NethServer becomes member).
The DC can be demoted and the NethServer promoted.

It works, but is Not supported. There is a Post / HowTo…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

My goal is to have two Nethservers as DC in a network, no plans with W2012 R2… yikes :stuck_out_tongue: the goal is to put M$ out of business as always ahahahha

I tested it years ago:

2 Likes

Good stuff! Thanks a bunch! Ganna try that out and see what happends.

2 Likes

The major problem of multi DC in the linux/Samba world is replication of SYSvol. In most solutions (plain Ubuntu, Zentyal, Univention etc) this is done through rsync. It’s a tricky way and can’t fail. To avoid headaches, NethServer devs decided to leave NethServer(7) a single DC if Samba as usermanager is chosen.

1 Like

@ssabbath

Hi Walter

In my experience with 30+ NethServer ADs, it makes more sense to achieve availability & stability through underlying methods, rather than changing NethServer from the rock solid, well supported distro it is, to something clunky and not intended by the devs…

In other words: Make the underlying Proxmox fast, with fast backups / restore and if possible full HA Failover…

I do have NethServer based AD Networks with over 50 users (And NO issues at all) to prove that fact!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Hummm… a good backup should handle a failed server right? I had a problem with one nethserver a month ago, lost all users, had to rebuild it all, was a pain, and backup did not work quite well… anyway, will try harder with some good backups and see what i can do.

Backup <> Fault tolerance…

1 Like

@ssabbath

Nethserver Backup is fine, I prefer Proxmox & Nethserver, at least Daily & 7 generations…

Makes for a good nights sleep… :slight_smile:

Me 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Is Proxmox lightweight? I mean, i work with pretty simple servers, nothing really fancy. Lol! :slight_smile:

Will test that thing out!

Is Proxmox backup Server you use or the Virtual Environment?

I agree, it was essencially my fault, HDD problem corrupted the entire thing, maybe backup also!

I have little to no experience with backup restoring, will simulate and study a little bit more!

@ssabbath

Hi

I use both, each has their duty!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Time to get to work and learn new stuff to make good nights of sleep :slight_smile:

1 Like