NethServer 7.9.2009 is under work

And SF wants some… coffee…

Yes it’s slow! Did you try the .torrent download? There is plenty of seeders: it should be faster hopefully!

Yes it is! about 14 - 15 MB/s :smiley:

Not allowed here.

Hello everyone! Can we update to version 7.9 now? The message does not appear in the software center, nor through ssh. Thank you and greetings!

(cough cough)

:tea:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: the rush…

I have received this message since last week.

Please attach the output of

yum history pkg-info nethserver-subscription

I can’t guess the history of the server where you found the Upgrade warning but after some investigations I’m now sure I did a mistake :innocent:

The effect was an unexpected disclosure of the 7.9 upgrade in the Software Center, or finding a 7.9 system at the end of a new installation where 7.8 was expected.

Luckily it has not been an issue and it is not an issue at all, now that 7.9 is officially released. However I try to give an explanation of what happened: it’s necessary and it’s fun too!

[the long story]

As it often happens, there is a chain of events and mistakes behind an issue like this. Let’s see them:

1. It starts from far: on Oct 9, 2019 when an additional .spec file was added to nethserver-subscription code repository. This package is responsible for showing the Software Center upgrade warning and starting the upgrade, if automatic updates are enabled.
    :warning: Our release script can handle just one .spec file safely.

2. On Nov 13, 2020 I prepared the initial repositories for 7.9. I cloned the .rpm files with hardlinks.
    :warning: I used to make copy of them, then run a deduplication after the release.

3. On Nov 19, 2020 I released a bogus nethserver-subscription RPM to 7.9.2009 repositories. The evidence of the error is still in the build logs. A 3.6.5 version was built and uploaded, where a 3.6.6 was expected. Why? :warning: I ran old an releasetag script, it was missing this safety measure.

4. At that point I realized the build 3.6.5 was bad. I removed the bogus RPM from 7.9.2009 and fixed the nethsever-subscription build procedure. The two .spec files are now one, so that shouldn’t happen anymore.

5. But, but… :warning: I forgot the hardlink, so the bogus 3.6.5 RPM was creeping into 7.8.2003 too.

In the end, if a 7.8.2003 system has already got 3.6.5 it does not hit the “bug”. If it has an older version or it is a new installation it gets nethserver-subscription 3.6.5 and the upgrade starts.

How to avoid similar problems in the future?

• As said, nethserver-subscription build procedure has already been fixed and the releasetag does not accept implicit arguments any more.

• Furthermore I’m planning to improve the scripts that do the YUM repo managements when a new minor release arrives. I want to complete them before 7.10.

If you have any doubt or question I’m glad to provide further explanations! Thank you for reading.

PS: and the bogus .rpm? I replaced it with a backup :wink:

5 Likes

H David, this server was installed fresh from ISO. The announcement is no problem for me, but surprising and funny. It is also a mistake without consequences and people make mistakes. I know that best.
Sincerely, Marko

4 Likes

Updated a test-vm from 7.8 with local AD, red, green.

Installed Apps: Antivir, ntopng, collectd-chats, firewall, fileserver, guacamole, IPS, Sogo, threadshield, vpn, webproxy and filter.

Every thing seem to work. No relevant error in logs. Only a warning about guacamole:

WARNING [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [guacamole] appears to have started a thread named [com.google.inject.internal.util.$Finalizer] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:

@mrmarkuz can you say if it’s relevant?

Great work as always @davidep! Thank’s a lot!! :smiley:

2 Likes

Update from 7.8 to 7.9. with modules:
Nextcloud
WebTop
Webserver
Tread Shield
Fiewall
IPS
nTopNG

… everything was fine, but Webtop was broken.

„Proxy Error
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /webtop.
Reason: Error reading from remote server“

I reverted to 7.8
Regards, Marko

That’s strange because we already have WebTop running on 7.9.
Could you please provide the errors from /var/log/messages and /var/log/webtop.log?

In the meanwhile maybe @lucag can confirm us that WT is working good on 7.9

I updated two servers with Webtop installed and it’s started normally…

1 Like

I’m sorry, I was in panic mode and immediately reverted to 7.8 without backing up the log files.
Best regards, Marko

IIRC it’s an old warning that can be ignored.

3 Likes

Released. Please comment this post with your comments.

1 Like