We’re happy to announce that NethServer 7.9 is publicly available.
This release marks a big step forward for communication, collaboration and security, introducing:
- CentOS 7.9
- NethGui is dead. Welcome Cockpit!
- Some web applications are still available on port 980
- Security improvements
- Threat shield: DNS blacklist
- Netdata is now installed by default
- New panel to sync your email via IMAP
NethServer is an Open Source operating system designed for small offices, medium enterprises and home server. It’s simple, secure and flexible.
NethServer is ready to deliver your messages, to protect your network with the built-in firewall, share your files and much more, everything on one system.
Many new features were added since the last NethServer ISO was released, they are all available within NethServer 7.9 based. Let’s see the most important improvements.
NethGUI is dead. Welcome Cockpit
The old Server Manager (namely Nethgui) is not available by default on new installations. To configure the system access the new Server Manager on port
9090 . Old Server Manager can be still installed from Software Center.
Web applications are still on port 980
CGP (Collectd Graph Panel), EveBox, Rspamd UI, Lightsquid and Ntopng are still available on HTTPS port 980, even if the old Server Manager has not been installed.
- On new installations, SSH weak ciphers are now disabled by default.
- Default TLS policy is
2020-05-10. TLS 1.1, TLS 1.0, SSL v3, and SSL v2 are disabled.
Threat shield: DNS blacklist
Threat Shield already protects your NethServer by blocking all connections from/towards malicious IP addresses. Now on you can add an extra layer of protection by blocking DNS requests to malicious domains. More info here
Netdata is now installed by default
Cockpit uses netdata to show some graphs on various dashboards:
- web proxy (squid)
- email server (postfix)
- firewall (network, qos, conntrack)
New panel to sync your email via IMAP
New panel to simplify the migration of email from your existing mailserver to nethserver. The module is based on the command line tool imapsync and made it even easier.
Disable SIP-ALG to enhance SIP call through the firewall
In some situations you could have several issues with Shorewall and the protocol SIP&H323
Now you can disable SIP-ALG via WebUI
New cockpit settings page and dashboard
Last versions of our applications
- Nextcloud 20.0.1
- Asterisk to 13.37.1
- New installations of Nextcloud honor the StartTLS setting of the Active Directory accounts provider.
- On new installations, users belonging to the
wheelgroup are now granted SSH and SFTP access.
- Mattermost DB was upgraded to PostgreSQL 12.
- DAHDI tools and kernel module are no longer installed by default as part of
New or updated Community Modules
- SOGo 5.0.1
- Moodle 3.9.1
Download and install
Who wouldn’t desire all these fantastic new features?
- You can install NethServer on a virtual machine or on a bare-metal server using a DVD or USB stick
- Upgrade from 7.x is supported through the Software Center starting from 2020-12-02
- Automatic upgrades to 7.9 for #subscription start from 2020-12-09
Ready to check it out? Then head to the docs and download
Get exclusive access to the Stable Updates repository, monitoring tools and immediate professional support services for your NethServer deployments
Take a look at our plans
- Technical Release Notes: http://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/release_notes.html
- Administrator manual: http://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/
- Developer manual: http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/latest/
Did you find a bug? Please report it here – every bug you uncover is a chance to improve the experience for thousands of NethServer users worldwide, also our amazing beta testers team will be called upon to give its support on that!
A huge thanks to the community, we quite literally could not do this without your support , and we’re proud to give our open source code back to the world with your help.