I’m proud to announce that NethServer 6.8 has been released and is publicly available and is the newest long-term support release.
There are a ton of major changes to NethServer and it’s impossible to cover them all in detail here, so here are some of our favorite highlights.
- Based on the recently released CentOS 6.8 operating system,
- SELinux policy changed from permissive to disabled
- Package collectd upgraded from version 4 to 5
Firewall: web interface for policy routing
New interface module for managing policy routing rules.
Simplified Multi WAN configuration
New configuration for the multi-wan monitoring along with a new interface.
As always, there have been several changes with a focus on performance. This includes an optimized ntopng since it heavily used redis to save temporary data about host network traffic. In a scenario where there are many hosts involved, ntopng will highly increase redis memory usage
Use DNSBL to fight spam
Better spam filtering by using the DNS-based Blackhole List (DNSBL),
- Support for CIDR and IP ranges as source and destination for proxy bypass
It’s now possibile to create a bond with specific mode (active-backup, balance round robin, etc) from the Network page
NethForge enabled by default
Support for installing and enabling the NethForge Software Center category by default, allowing users to find extra modules built by the community.
YUM clean button
New button for cleaning the YUM transactions for freeing up disk space and resolving software installation issues.
New “Public IP” field for OpenVPN
Added a remote field in OpenVPN interface to cover some scenarios where the OpenVPN client can’t find the server by searching for its host name
Support for multiple interfaces on ntopng
Now enabling ntopng, all traffic passing through several network interfaces will be analyzed
- Hairpin NAT from blue and orange
- New release of WebTop with support for Active Directory, data import from SOGo, and many other updates
- Upgrading to Owncloud 7.0.13
- Updated language pack and new Portoguese Brazilian language
- Multiple fixes for: PPPoE, sNAT, IP/MAC binding, squid, RoundCube, DHCP, pulledpork, adagios, vsftpd, pop3 scan, group email addresses creation.
- Improve fax report quality
- Web antivirus whitelist
- AD groups for squidguard profiles
- IPsec tunnels with PPPoE
- New WPAD implementation which includes also proxy bypass
- Mail to fax
- Many bug fixes and small enhancements
- Enhancements to email archive filter
- L2TP now correctly works with multi WAN
- IPSec tunnels automatically enable firewall-to-firewall traffic
- support for using IP and CIDR (Classless Inter-Domain Routing) ranges as the source and destination for the proxy bypass settings, Add CIDR subnets and ip ranges as hosts without proxy in Proxy
- Samba now supports roaming profiles fir Windows 8,8,1 and 10
- Samba shares can now be browseable or hidden
- Various bug fixes on firewall rules and objects, backup web interface, trusted networks, coova chilli, dashboard and bond configuration
Upgrade from version 6.7
Start the update as usual from the Software Center page. It is recommended to reboot the system at the end of the update procedure.
As usual, we’d like to first thank the overall NethServer community for contributions toward this release — whether it was in pull requests, feedback, bug reports and suggestions.
NethServer 6.8 from SourceForge (490MB)
Torrent link: nethserver-6.8-x86_64.iso.torrent