NethSecurity Beta 1 is ready šŸ›”

ok tnx

@Igonet

A discussion more than 5 years old about ANYTHING in IT is usually moot.
The Forum posts states 2019, the overview states 2021ā€¦

A generation in IT is roughly 1.5 years!

And the CPU theyā€™re tallking about is a CPU for an underrated WLan-AP. It would not be powerful enough to run any usable firewall! Those old CPUs are exotic sh*tā€¦

My 2 cents
Andy

I donā€™t need americans telling me to use the english languageā€¦

My two glowing pieces of coal.
Andy

:slight_smile:

Hello,

My whole purpose is to test NethSecurity in a VM environment. In order to be able to test it, I connect VM it runs to my physical LAN.

I see that by default NethSecurity run on 192.168.1.1 IP number and its GUI is accessible on that IP number. I also understand that there is a DHCP server running on that same IP number.

In order to reach GUI, I need to change default IP to my physical IP block say 192.168.11.0/24. If I do that, I think my existing DHCP server on my physical IP block will race with the NethSecurity DHCP server.

This chicken egg problem seems like a little issue to me. I believe it will be possible to disable DHCP from command line but still it would be better if I didnā€™t have to.

Just wanted to give some feedback.

Thanks & Regards,
Ertan

1 Like

It depends: if youā€™re running on kvm or Digital ocean virtual machine, NethSecurity will try to use the DHCP for the lan interface: nethsecurity/files/etc/board.d/40virtual at main Ā· NethServer/nethsecurity Ā· GitHub

If necessary, we can add the same logic for more virtual machine engine.

OpenWrt has a built-in control: if another DHCP server is already running, it will not start its own.

1 Like

Most current OS, even Windows, has this option nowadays. Sometimes thereā€™s even an option to ignore a ā€œrogueā€ DHCP serverā€¦

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes