Lock to "current release" enabled by default from 7.5

That’s a good point.
What are you locking? The Update Policy? The version? I guess you need to say it

Oooohhh! Very interesting point and train of thought…

I like the Locked/Unlocked idea, however a bit of clarification may be needed. I may come back with some suggestions unless someone beats me to it first.

2 Likes

Software update policy: locked/unlocked. What is locked is the origin of the updates, so we can change the label to

Software update origin:

• Unlocked - Consider updates to version 7 from all available software repositories
  • Locked - Limit updates to repositories specific to version 7.X.Y. Other repositories are considered only when new modules are installed

Please @bwdjames help me to improve those sentences (and English too)!

1 Like

Unlocked - Consider updates from all available software repositories

Think the Locked one is okay, will ponder over it on the weekend.

3 Likes

Everything is ready, but changes are quite big so @davidep has written a huge an detailed list of test cases:

Now we need help from all of you to test and release it soon!

4 Likes

Yes please review also this pull request for the Software center admin’s guide

https://github.com/DavidePrincipi/docs/blob/e8b222a7dad1dca05d526fe9613216b6261d236a/administrator-manual/en/packages.rst

/cc @docs_team

2 Likes

This morning @giacomo and I introduced a cron job that can switch the software origin automatically when a new CentOS distribution release is available /cc @dz00te. I updated the admin’s guide PR accordingly:

https://github.com/NethServer/docs/pull/319/commits/f21f0153915e7ceb47fa09427dc27be8bfa72a87

See also this change proposal to the Software center labels:

https://github.com/NethServer/nethserver-base/pull/118/files

Previews:

Please comment!

4 Likes

Great solution, I wish to try it. How can I get it?

It will be available soon for NethServer 7.5!

2 Likes

nice, i like the way you decide to manage the updates lock… and i see the test cases (thank you for writing them), but i am wondering if i can test the new procedure on 7.4
i installed the testing package nethserver-base-3.2.0-1.17.g7561792.ns7.noarch.rpm on 7.4 and now on Software center i have

and this is what is expected, then i’ve tried to execute the cron script, to see if NsReleaseLock switch do disabled… but it seems that the script gets $ns_release and $ce_release with the same version: 7.5.1804

i know it’s not a test case but the idea was to test the new feature on 7.4 to see what would have happened in a real case…

do i need to update some other package?
if you think it’s useless i’ll start trying on 7.5

3 Likes

Yes, I adapted the mirrorlist script to work with this new feature today: Return full version number in mirror URL by DavidePrincipi · Pull Request #9 · NethServer/mirrorlist · GitHub

However the only way to really test it on 7.4 is quite complex because it does not exist any more, as we’re in 7.5 now. To get an idea:

• git clone mirrorlist in a web server and fix the release numbers for testing
  • configure the “mirrorlist.nethserver.org” virtualhost in the web server
  • add a DNS override in nethserver testing VM to point to the fake server

(I already suggested a similar solution for a different problem here: YUM update repository problems (from Russia) - #34 by davidep)

Thank you for your input! This weird idea was your :wink:

Do you remember?

1 Like

Looks great. I hope this clarify any doubts

All related packages have been released.

RC is coming!

5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: NethServer 7.5 rc released

tnx, done the fake server, now the cron script correctly enable NsRelease lock due to mismatch of version

CentOS and NethServer releases are different!
CentOS:     7.5.1804
NethServer: 7.4.1708
NsReleaseLock is now enabled.

now do you think i could persuade Software Center that a new version 7.5rc is available for install? :thinking::grin:

doh! usually my answer to this question it’s almost always: no :sweat_smile:
I have to admit: my memory is worse than my English :sob: but at least I like my ideas :laughing:
tnx for your work

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Download updates after scheduled backup

I like your sense of humor… And I generally have the same issue myself…

1 Like

Hi James, so I think your memory is working very well, because I think your English should be better as the English of most others here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: SCLo repositories version lock