LAN adapter not found

For at home and for test purpose I assembled a server with an ASUS H81L-Plus motherboard which has only one LAN port. For the second port I use a NetXtreme II BCM5708 adapter. Unfortunately has the motherboard only an PCI x 16 and not a PCI x 32. The TP-Link TG-3269 doesn’t’ fit in which I have in my pool.

After installing Nethserver 6.7 the second port isn’t found.
With lspci on the CLI I looked which LAN is there

lspci -nnk | grep -i Ethernet -A2
04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 0c)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8554]
Kernel driver in use: r8169

Only the LAN on the motherboard visible. :cry:

In the internet I didn’t find a clear information if it mean the adapter is damaged or not visible because the right driver is missing. :confused:

If the diver is missing how install I the BUX2 driver?

Have you already checked elrepo? http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php

lspci does not need drivers to list all hardware.
If a device is not listed, it’s probably broken.

Thank you.
That help me a lot and I am going to swap the adapter tomorrow. :sweat_smile:

I have some NICs (wireless and wired, PCI and PCI Express) which are not recognized by CentOS. Some of them are recognized after updates some aren’t even after that. In fact, are recognized (seen) but don’t works; it’s a driver issue.
All of them are recognized by Ubuntu.

Ok.

Which PCI adapter can you recommend? The card has to fit in a PCI x 16 slot.

I will check in the evening when I will go home, to be sure.
I have a PC with some NICs which works with NS.
I will attach also some pictures with those NICs.

Thank you and the pictures of the adapter where I can see the contacts will help.
The only problem could be that I can’t get it in Australia. Someone recommended the Delock 89156 but unfortunately it isn’t available here.

This NIC works on NS. The others, in this evening.

How is seen on Ubuntu (Broadcom is onboard - IBM xSeries 346).
On this server I had installed NS.

Thank you for the picture.
It looks like this is an adapter with PCI x 32 and not with PCI x 16. This one wouldn’t fit in the slot.

I know, but maybe is useful and for others too.

Maybe I will open another post with NICs that works with NS.

you/we don’t need such a list

just remember to buy only RH certified hw… you can check on RH/centos hw compatibility list

Thank you @zamboni for the tip. I didn’t know that this kind of list exist.
Do you have the link or should I google it?

https://hardware.redhat.com/
https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList

1 Like

google, always :wink:

1 Like

@zamboni You know it is faster to get the right link instead to pick the right side from the search results :blush:

@GG_jr Thank you for the link. Now I know why my adapter doesn’t work. The Broadcom chipset isn’t in the list. :disappointed:

maybe, but searching info yourselfwill make you wiser

As I told you, I have Broadcom chipset (NICs) on IBM xSeries 346 and it’s OK. But not all, I presume.

Not every time.
Many time I was only frustrated because I couldn’t find any helpful page. And to search again when someone knows the right page is similar to invent the wheel again.

1 Like

@GG_jr As far I found information there is a driver for Linux but it looks like it doesn’t work with CentOS.

Finally is the question how much time will I spent to solve the problem with the Broadcom chip and how much time and money will I need to change the adapter. The new adapter with Realtek chip will cost me $14 and why should I bother.