Is there a HOWTO to set up FTP to use a shared folder on an AD system?

softwarecenter
v7
activedirectory

(Kyle Hayes) #1

NethServer Version: 7.4
Module: FTP + AD

GOAL: I have an old Toshiba eStudio 165. It scans but can only send scans to another computer via FTP or (old) SMB. It does not work with Active Directory. I want scans to show up in a shared directory that users can access (read and write).

I have a Nethserver set up as an AD DC and file server.

I found the following existing topics:

FTP Access and vsftpd user list
Vsftpd with system users and samba4 AD on different machine
vsftpd system users and the need for a public folder

I think most of the information I need is buried in these topics, but I cannot see how to put it all together. Has anyone done this?

I can set up shared directories for users.

I can set up a system user for FTP (at least I see how that is supposed to work in some of the above topics).

What I do not see is how to set up a shared directory and have FTP write to that. Do I need to do as was done in the last topic and manually bind mount???

Thanks for any ideas anyone has!

(Markus Neuberger) #2

No, it’s if you need to serve the AD users home shares via FTP.
In your case you may just setup a guest writable share named “scan” on your Nethserver and just create an FTP user with custom chroot directory to the samba shared folder /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/scan:

(Kyle Hayes) #3

Thanks! This looks like what I needed!

I will try this out later today and report back.

(Jeroen Visser) #4

Only if you require everybody using their own account instead of a publicly known ftp user and password.

To me, that scenario is a no-go. I need every user using their AD credentials to log on to the FTP(es) but then having access to a public FTP folder. That requires a bind-mount.

(Kyle Hayes) #5

It works! One of the key things was to make the share accessible by the guest user (writable!). I missed that you had that in the instructions at first and spent an embarrassingly long time trying to figure it out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: