I’m a starting freelancer and want to set up my backoffice as privacy oriented as possible. This mainly because of the GDPR laws and because I’m not sure I’m (completely) trusting Big Tech anymore…
My wife works as a business/life coach and will possibly be using the same backoffice (or a second nethserver).
My main usage will be:
- shared contacts, calendar and notes.
- jopler synching (moving away from evernote)
- matrix for chat/communication (moving away from whatsapp and FB Messenger)
- storing documents (synched with workstation)
- (possibly) mail (now using ISP IMAP mail)
- (possibly) (Wordpress)website(s)
I have a background in IT: mainly Oracle database administration, but have ‘played around’ with Linux as well. And am willing to learn.
So, my main question is: is setting up my own nethserver (on VPS) the right choice/a viable idea?
Second question: what would be a good VPS host (budget is tight at the moment) to start with? I searched the forum, but most advice on this is quite old…
Thanks in advance,