Howto section or wiki area?

(Michele Bortolotto) #1

let’s go @alefattorini we need the HowTo section to add this “copy-n-paste-how-to” ! goodwork @nrauso , i had missed all the nethserver’s registration part on my installation…now i’ve fixed :smiley:

Adagios installation problem
How to get involved?
What do you think about Discourse?
(Stéphane de Labrusse) #2

more than a howto section, it is a wiki area that is needed here. Once a trick is given by someone it is not possible to add mentions, or to modify it if you are not the author.

(Michele Bortolotto) #3

+1 for the wiki area

(Alessio Fattorini) #4

Thanks guys for the suggestion, we can use Discourse Wikification feature which consists of

See this example: Adagios installation on NethServer 6.x
What do you think?

(Michele Bortolotto) #5

@alefattorini it’s ok for me

Discourse cheat sheet
(Davide Principi) #6

+1

Discourse is a great collaboration tool, too! :smile:

We could also

• publish a “stable enough” howto as a blog-post, or
  • create an howto section into the official web site.

(Alessio Fattorini) #7

Why not? The big advantage of keeping howtos here is the global serch, you can search a term in bug/support/features/howto/discussion at the same time or filtering by category. Simple and effective.

(Davide Principi) #8

You’re right! Let’s see how far it goes :wink:

(Roberto Sitzia) #9

Fast and easy, I like it!

Hello,

I think a wiki is always a good start place.
A very good exemple is the Gentoo Linux documentation:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page

Because an “how to” is not all…
There are how to for developpers, there are how to for users, there are how to for documentation writers, etc, etc…

(Alessio Fattorini) #11

I said my opinion above:

But we could think to a wiki, I’d like to have a wiki markdown based (so we can copy/paste proposals and drafts crafted here) and github could be a good choice. Easy, no maintainance, great editor and people can fork and make pull requests.
@davidep and @giacomo would like to move bug tracker there in the future, moving wiki and howto should not be a problem.
We will lost global search but we can link here docs or and index
https://help.github.com/articles/about-github-wikis/

(Davide Principi) #12

It seems ReadTheDocs supports Markdown too!

Today I'm working on NethServer
(Roberto Sitzia) #13

Wiki area, I prefer it.
I like howtos but our goal is to “spread the word” and to achieve it I think a wiki is a better tool.

(Alessio Fattorini) #14

We can start with something like this with a little effort

I mention GitHub just for a reason:

• it supports Markdown very well so we can copy/paste howtos born here on community or drafts extracted from posts
  • no new machine to administer, update, maintain or pay
  • it’s a powerful wiki, used by a lot of people

Does anyone has used it before?

(Davide Principi) #15

Markdown is supported by ReadTheDocs too, where the Admin Manual is now published.

(Roberto Sitzia) #16

I like the Admin manual and its format, there is something to fix in the full-text search but it could works.

Just a doubt: might people get in confusion using the same platform/formatting style?

(Davide Principi) #17

AFIK ReadTheDocs supports customizable themes and source code is hosted on GitHub.

This is only an idea. I think GitHub wiki is fine too.