How to set up a dev environment?

I agree 130% with you…

out there there are zillions of howtos…

How many are for NS ?? how many applies to NS ? Should I spend a few weeks months to read some of them before I can begin?

Steph give us the steps to be able to start… all the info outside Steph’s post must be considered prerequisites that everyone must comply to, full stop.

What information I need ? Do I know this information ? What to look for to be able to begin ? What kind of information should i be searching for ?

anyone, even if with a small experience (but with an active interest in being involved) can setup a dev invironment in minutes, maybe hours… it’s not a matter of skills but of willness and interests.

What experience ? If i do not have experience but i have interest, what should i do ?

This kind of approach is very negative.

Basically you are saying : Go learn Linux. Go learn C/C++, perl, PHP etc, go learn linux system administration, get yourself some programming skills, go learn some debugging… and after that come here to learn by Trial & Error what I don’t want to share with you, because i do not feel like you are worthy enough to be teached and you must discover yourself.

So in this regard, trust me that you will not have many (even at all) new devs or tweakers…

Before you know how to do a surgery you must be instructed how! You do not investigate on the patient by opening him up and going like “What does this little organ is… let’s chomp a little from here and see what happens”

:smile:

1 Like

please, re-read CAREFULLY this post:

tha’s all you really need…
if you don’t know what’s a virtual machine, how to install a package or run a CLI command, you definitely don’t need a dev environment.

documenting how to setup a vm, to install a package or run a CLI command is out of this community scope.

all other considerations are just noise

Stefano, I’ve read them. trust me I’ve done this (more than once)

You win.
I agree that we have sufficient information and documentation.
It is better to leave it like this, And what ever happens happens.

As you like to say:

Full stop

Best regards
Bogdan

I’m really sad to read such thing :cry:

When I start this thread, It what to point one or two things that lack here.
The lack of accessibility to the information.
And to make something.

Here, to do something, the gui must be really motivate, without this, he can’t go ahead.

Yes, the doc exsit, but it’s not accessible, it’s hidden, or it’s in another site.
Yes, the doc exist, but perhaps it lack another intermediate doc to make things easier

And when the gui, like Ctek is motivate, there’s other gui to dismotivate, to said it’s useless. :cold_sweat:
Really bad day

For a long time there was an assumption that the earth was flat … never ask permission from others to start a project… just do it

1 Like

I will still don’t desist to ask for a wiki :grinning:

1 Like

you’re right…

the wiki is necessary, is something noted since the birth of this community…

BUT: don’t expect others to feed it, so be ready to work for /in it…

And don’t pull out… You are in the community :grinning:

Please, I don’t want another toxic thread here, just a discussion.

Forgive me @ctek I’m against it :smile:

There are NO winners and NO losers.

We are here for asking questions and debating, and I always - always must say thank you for your time and effort.
If we want to make something, just start to do it. I’m with you, how can I help?
Information and howtos are not enough?
Can we try to gather as information as possible and start writing down howtos, TOGHETER? :smile:

Remind for everyone “Stonewalling communication” doesn’t help anyone. Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree and improve always the conversation.

2 Likes

I use a virtual machine on my notebook, I have installed nethserver on it and then followed the developer manual:

http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/latest/building_rpms.html

I think we need some sections for a good developer HOWTO:

• pre-requisites
  • modifying a package
  • fixing bugs
  • create a new package
  • create a new UI panel

Pre-requisites

• a working nethserver installation
  • a github account

First step - add developer environment

• create a user from server-manager (i.e. filippo)
  • yum install nethserver-mock
  • grant developer permissions to filippo
  • usermod -a -G mock filippo

From here we could/should explain how to fork on github, clone a repo, make a pull request. But I think we can link an already written guide we could find on the web.

Maybe we could record a video tutorial and upload it to youtube.

6 Likes

I’m already busy here giving support to users… and quite busy elsewhere in bugfixing/verification, support and many, many other things :wink:

Hi guys

don’t let @zamboni wins! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks to all for your point of view @giacomo @Ctek @zamboni @stephdl and @filippo_carletti

I started programming when I was 12 year old till when I was 34 then I quit programming to do full time system administration (some times during life we must take some bad decision).
So I well understand @giacomo @stephdl as well as @jim and @ctek so I think we can do something togheter.

What do you think about a (yes an other one) NethServer for dummies programming guide?
Maybe we can pick a better title…
We can use howto also but IMHO they are better to explain how to set the environment but we need a guide to explain some programming concepts.

Honestly I would be happy to start back programming I would like to do my own “hello world!” program inside NethServer GUI :smile:
I think we can start following Filippo’s list exploding/developing every single point.

3 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Trying to setup Virtualbox for NethServer VM

@Ctek you’re the king’s of howto :slight_smile: could you share any startup suggestions for learning devs?

Just for the record
@Ctek @filippo_carletti @stephdl are working on this:
http://www.nethserver.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=developer:developer_howto

3 Likes

Fabulous How to :grinning:

I hope to see a long serie of such howtos.

Hi guys

following this
http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=developer:developer_howto

I’m proud to announce that I have created my github account, fork my first package and set up my local developing environment, I can say that practically
I have done nothing :smile:

First of all thank to @Ctek @filippo_carletti @stephdl for the howto, I made some corrections to wrong names or to improve legibility.

Now a question: which is the next suggested step?

Stephan in some post wrote that before start writing code he spent one year to read code of others before wite a fix, I’m agree with him but I would like to know a little more.
I think that this can help to expand the howto or (better) making a second chapter.

4 Likes

:+1: keep it up mate!

I have a kernel panic Issue at Home :smile: I will try to do something ASAP

7 Likes

Congratulations Stephan!!!
Welcome to the club!
Her name?

1 Like