Howto install NethServer as Samba AD domain controller v0.2

Could you please tell us a bit more abt this?

Hey @pike, thanks for the feedback. I am aware that nano is easier, but myself prefer to only install the bare minimum, and vi will always be available.

I will add a little note about nano for those that prefer ease of use in this scenario. Thanks!

What exactly would you want me to elaborate on @fausp ?

1 Like

What tools do you mean with - Microsoft AD tools - Is it RSAT?
What can RSAT do for us on/with NethServer?
HowToā€™s would be great of courseā€¦

1 Like

Agree on that. My routine after installing NethServer:
yum update -y
yum install nano

:wink:

That would be RSAT, yes, but any other tool that operates on AD should work too, as long as the schema is correct. When you choose AD account provider, you should not understand that as a compatability layer to make windows happy ā€¦ you are quite litteraly running an AD.

How you should configure your AD is something that I can not be expected to cram into a couple of forum posts to amend a server installation document. I will add some basic stuff about groups, configuring DNS, and I still need to add a couple of little things on the windows side anyway. If you have specific questions I will do my best, but I think this is neither the topic nor the place to discuss Microsoft AD architecture and design decisions and/or post howtoā€™s for common windows administration tasks.

1 Like

May I suggest LDAP account manager? :grinning:

2 Likes

You can configure your Nethserver domain in the same way you do it at a windows server.
But you have to use a windows client for it.
For linux-clients have a look at @davidepā€™s post.

1 Like

Amazing job man :slight_smile: thatā€™s a super guide! 15 likes so far show that people appreciated your effort.
Keep it up!

1 Like

ā€¦my collegue will like it as well ā€¦ this is the first bit of documentation I wrote :open_mouth: :smiley:

4 Likes

Was that error the one discussed on Procedure to join AD domain with NS7 ?

Yes, it was. I havent seen it lately in my last 3 installs. I would be happy to check again, or test a scenario if some testing needs to be done.

Just for the record, that bug was fixed

2 Likes

Heya @MrE

Your scenario is my scenario pretty much. My users are a 15 person software development company with no regards for past 20 years of development in any but our own software.

I have a opted for the following:

1x supermicro server with 2x 10 dualcores = 40 cores for virtualization and 256GB of memory, and a disk to boot from and store the config.
1x TrueNAS (or equivalent) Z20 with raid 10 over 10 disks, giving me 40TB to play with on a ZFS storage layer, exported with NFS to that supermicro proxmox server.

On top of that is running 9x NethServer, 1 as in this guide, a SOGo mailserver that connects to this one, a SAMBA File and VSFTPD FTPES server, various webservices on their own dedicated virtual server, and like 30 Windows 10 clients, mostly for VPN connections. I can virtualize most of our company without running out of resources, and am a verry happy camper.

Netserver can fill all these roles you mention, and even help with transitioning, as it is easy to set up and at no cost but resources on the virtual environment, you get to try a lot without much consequences.

A FreeNAS would be equally good, or the other one people promote latelyā€¦ just make sure you have at least 10 drives in it, and use RAID10. Nothing worse then slow disk performance on a VM environment.

Use the cache options as well ā€¦ we have SSDā€™s for cache, and otherwise just spinning rust, and outperform most VMware solutions we encounter at customers, while those cost a multiple of our environment.

So yeah, Nethserver can help you out, and I am writing the mailserver guide at a slow pace atm, but it will be there, and we run it in production already :slight_smile:

Dragged you here cuz the threat would be derailed by this answer :wink:

From

4 Likes

Also,l read this as: DO NOT use virtualisation WITHOUT investing in these at least 10 disks, to get RAID10. You will pay dearly in speed penalty if you do. If you have users with on average 10GB mailboxes, and they start syncing while you boot a windows client and someone tries to cpy their pictures over, you will get a ringing phone.

1 Like

Agreed on getting as many spindels as possible. It will increase I/O drasticly (and you will need it)

I feel that I have a little different scenario, but equally demanding.

I havenā€™t see and tried the NS mail option; so I can compare with our current mail server, it use Citadel (I like it) in debian w/2 SATA drives (software raid). Is really simple to manage and just works. But I make a little mistake: I leave it un managed for a few months and the database grow so large that I canā€™t really do fast backups (it takes almost 2 hours of downtime). This version canā€™t recover free space from deleted message, but the new version will have that process.

Mostly we use POP user accounts, so I can keep and eyes in the space used on the mail server. A few are using IMAP; but I see some users messing up their IMAP folders.

Later Iā€™ll try to find and read what email solution is used in NS, how the mails are stored, and what anti-spam/virus capabilities have. Including the administration tasks.

@planet_jeroen, @robb : I feel my hardware short after reading your comments:
This is a Dell server R320 24 GB RAM and 4 SATA DISK 1 TB each.
The four disks in ZFS as RAID 10; and limited to 8GB the ZFS system.

options zfs zfs_arc_max=8589934592

Because it havenā€™t any load right now, I canā€™t see if Iā€™ll hit a wall; need more tests before going to production. I really need to replace our old w2k server.

What I like is the idea of ZFS snapshots for safety upgrades in NS and peace of mind.

So, if I see that I only can have the NS in this hardware; I will give less RAM to NS, and extend the 8GB RAM for ZFS. I hope that I can have at least to VMs: 1 NS, and other one for a payroll system in windows, so I can take out another hardware at least.

Edit1: sadly, this system canā€™t hold more disks. Just more ram and hopefully bigger disks later.

Reading this guide avidly. :crazy_face:

If you wont be running a lot of virtual machines, and the systems you named are not very demanding, you can probably get away with it. If you are going to install clients as well on there, this becomes a must.

If your server can hold them, get a few more disks tho. They are relatively cheap and it makes it so much more versatile.

I only run 2 2TB disks on my ProxMox server. But it is a home server and not very extensively used. So in the end it all depends on your use.

But as @planet_jeroen said, as soon you are going to run a lot of VMā€™s and containers, Have very larghe mailboxes that need to be synced all the time for a lot of users, the best thing you can do, (maybe even before adding RAM) is adding disks/spindels so you increase I/O.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Domain controller IP unreachable